What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

super_coach

First Grade
Just before this circus rolled into town, the discussion was about how WT might be getting NC once he decides in November. Then a week after the meeting( IC/riff official) at Penrith that gus didn't know a single thing about . . . gus does an interview on nrl.com saying " if NC wants to leave the riff and play under his father's coaching, we understand and will not stand in his way at all"
Which makes gus seem like a decent and caring human being.
Until you look at the dates and work out that whole interview was done 7 days AFTER the meeting that gus didn't know a thing about, where the riff was lifting tables to be able to push their coaching role offer.
So once gus worked out that NC wants to play under his dad sooner than later, he switches the focus from keeping junior, to getting daddy. Illegal, immoral, or just a merkin act ?
I vote all 3.

Now that’s the best summary I have read in awhile

Perth Red

Post Whore
Right, if we weren't rich as f**k we'd be poor.

Just as long as there are poor saps pouring their dole Cheques into pokie machines you’ll be fine. God forbid you should ever have to have a football club that can stand on its own feet though.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Who's the Panthers ceo? Corey Payne? You never hear from him, but this Brian Fletcher you do. From what I understand he's the Panthers group ceo. If that's all true, plus Gus as GM, seems like too many cooks tbh.

I don't see any sustained success by any coach while overlord Gould is head honcho. The coach should have most say in how the team is made up and play.

thorson1987

Coach
Who's the Panthers ceo? Corey Payne? You never hear from him, but this Brian Fletcher you do. From what I understand he's the Panthers group ceo. If that's all true, plus Gus as GM, seems like too many cooks tbh.

I don't see any sustained success by any coach while overlord Gould is head honcho. The coach should have most say in how the team is made up and play.

Because Payne isn't the CEO, and hasn't been for nearly 2 years.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/corey-payne-quits-as-panthers-ceo-20160816-gqtxuh.html

Penrith are searching for their third chief executive in a year after Corey Payne left the NRL club role after just four months in charge.

The Panthers on Tuesday released a statement saying Payne had resigned and was pursuing an overseas business opportunity.

Leaving Penrith: Former Panthers CEO Corey Payne is said to be pursuing overseas opportunities.

Photo: Edwina Pickles
A veteran of 131 games during a 12-year playing career with St George Illawarra, Canterbury and the Tigers, Payne became the youngest club CEO in NRL history at 32 and was expected to be groomed as a successor to general manager Phil Gould when signed.

However it was reported earlier this week that Payne was being pushed out by the club's board after butting heads with several people in the football department – claims denied by the club.

"Corey, who already has significant overseas academic qualification, wishes to pursue overseas business opportunities that have recently materialised," the club said.

"In these circumstances the club does not wish to stand in the way of Corey pursuing these overseas opportunities and fulfilling his potential.

"The club wishes Corey, a member of the Panthers family, every future success."

Payne took up the position in April following the departure of Justin Pascoe to the Wests Tigers CEO role in September.

Last month he was involved in a heated exchange with then Rugby League World Cup chief executive Michael Brown that led to Brown's departure.

He penned a "apology letter" to the residents of western Sydney because no games for the 2017 edition of the tournament would be staged in the area.

It's understood Brown left an expletive-laden voicemail on Payne's phone that led to him quitting.

And Fletcher is the Football Club CEO.

http://westernweekender.com.au/2016...nthers-with-brian-fletcher-appointed-new-ceo/

Shake-up confirmed at Panthers with Brian Fletcher appointed new CEO
By
Troy Dodds
-
March 2, 2016, 19:10

panthersleaders-640x427.jpg

Greg Alexander, Brian Fletcher and David O'Neill. Photo: Megan Dunn
New Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher is determined to ensure the organisation is debt free, focused on football and most importantly, stable.

Mr Fletcher has stepped down from his position as Chairman of the Board to take on the CEO role vacated by Warren Wilson last month.

It has forced a re-shuffle on the Board with respected local businessman David O’Neill to take over as Chairman and club legend Greg Alexander to take on the role of Deputy Chairman.

With so many administrative changes at Panthers in the last 12 months, Mr Fletcher is determined to ensure things settle down moving forward.

“Stability is so important. We’ve got a young Board on average – it’s very important to get stability,” Mr Fletcher said.

“We have got the structures right now, we have the right people in the right positions and I think success is assured for us.”

While Mr Fletcher, who has been CEO of Hawkesbury Race Club for more than 25 years, will take on the role as Group CEO, there will still be a CEO specifically in charge of the rugby league side of the business, with the club to go to market to find the right person for that role, which was vacated by Justin Pascoe more than six months ago.

“Football is our core business. The better we go there, the better we’ll go everywhere. We’ll be looking at getting the best CEO of football we can get our hands on,” Mr Fletcher said.

brianfletcher.jpg

Brian Fletcher. Photo: Megan Dunn
Mr Fletcher said his three core focuses would be ensuring the football team is successful, making sure the Leagues Club is profitable and keeping up strong donations to the local community.

“One important thing we’ve lost a bit of sight of is the Members. We were too greedy on the bottom line – we need to give the members something back and we also need to look after the lower tier of paid staff a bit better as well,” he said.

“I’m a great believer in less debt is better so there’s no way in the world I’ll be going out looking for acquisitions or anything like that – my main concern is to get this place in a position where we never need a bank to call on again. There’s no reason we can’t do that within 12 months – have a nice war chest and a stage there for the future.”

Mr Fletcher is a country boy at heart, having been born in Coonamble in central western New South Wales in 1953.

He still has strong ties with his home town but it’s Hawkesbury where he made his name in the business world. When he arrived in 1989 Hawkesbury Race Club had a $1 million debt, but under Mr Fletcher’s leadership was debt free three years later.

“Over my 26 years at Hawkesbury we have never failed to make an annual cash profit and today the Hawkesbury Race Club has a motel valued at $6 million (debt free) and cash reserves of $3.75 million,” he said.

“I think Hawkesbury is in such a good financial position…. I’ve left them in a great position and I’m not far away if they need a bit of advice over the phone, but my whole concentration will now be on Panthers and ensuring we get everything right.”

For a club that has had three Chairmen in 12 months and is desperate need of stability, Mr Fletcher seems the perfect fit.

“I think I can make a difference – I wouldn’t be coming if I didn’t,” he said.

The Weekender also understands that as part of the changes, rugby league supremo Phil Gould has committed to a long-term future at the club.

gallagher

Juniors
Just as long as there are poor saps pouring their dole Cheques into pokie machines you’ll be fine. God forbid you should ever have to have a football club that can stand on its own feet though.
The football club built the leagues club so they COULD stand on their own feet.

unforgiven

Bench
All pokie players are less fortunate?
Is that a serious question? Here is just one study about the impact of pokies on low ses communities, I can find more if you want.

Summarising for you people in low socioeconomic areas spend more money on pokies than people in higher socioeconomic areas. Your post was flippant and made light of the negative impact pokies have in society, but it's ok they allow my footy team to buy an extra player or steal another teams coach.

Last Week

Bench
Didn't say it did. Convenient it never gets mentioned though.

The only reason Gus approached Griffin to tell him that he would be moving on is because iCleary was going to tell the WT board about the offer. Gus got on the front foot and sacked Griffin.

merkins everywhere in this situation.

I feel for the Tigers.

OldPanther

Coach
Can we all chill out now?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...e-about-retaining-cleary-20180809-p4zwgr.html

Yet the Panthers won't entertain the prospect of forking out compensation to the Tigers if Ivan was seek to an early release from Concord.

"We're not bringing in a coach and paying another club," Panthers chief executive Brian Fletcher said. "We're not into that. Ivan's got a contract and as far we're concerned Ivan will see the contract out and it's only ever been about [coming back to Penrith] from '21 onwards."

roofromoz

First Grade

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...e-about-retaining-cleary-20180809-p4zwgr.html

Yet the Panthers won't entertain the prospect of forking out compensation to the Tigers if Ivan was seek to an early release from Concord.

"We're not bringing in a coach and paying another club," Panthers chief executive Brian Fletcher said. "We're not into that. Ivan's got a contract and as far we're concerned Ivan will see the contract out and it's only ever been about [coming back to Penrith] from '21 onwards."

Fake news.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

2 years is a long time in RL. This doesn't line up right for me.

Does NC just re-sign until the end of 2020? If he signs longer and the "interim" coach wins a premiership then what?

Part of the reason Griffin was sacked was that they believed he couldn't take them to a premiership level. Hard to see the Panthers sitting on their hands for two years waiting for Ivan if they believe they're just a decent coach away and what decent coach would sign on knowing it's a 2 year seat warming position?

Either those quotes are lies or they're taking one hell of a gamble and hoping all their ducks fall into line.