What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Pedge1971

First Grade
Browny quotes that it took 7 years to re-build fo where they are today in Fridays presser.

I hope he doesnt think that is the gold standard or we are in for a lot of long Winters yet...

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Browny quotes that it took 7 years to re-build fo where they are today in Fridays presser.

I hope he doesnt think that is the gold standard or we are in for a lot of long Winters yet...

To be fair Penrith have been a finals team over the last 3 seasons and at times have played like a top 4 team but haven’t put it all together for a whole season yet. I don’t think there should be a set time frame for us to win a comp for example but I do think we should aim to be playing consistent finals footy over the next few years. Hopefully 2019 is the year when we break into the bottom half of the top 8 and we can build on that.

For all the negativity around here about our lack of forward depth our squad next year is still an improvement on this year and with a little luck we won’t get quite as badly hammered by injuries next year. Not having 3/4 of our spine out of action for half the season would help immensely.

Yes there are still some issues with our squad there is no denying that but I still expect us to be at least 3-4 wins ahead of where we finish this year which might be enough to get us into 7th or 8th spot. Depends on how close the comp is of course but I think it’s not unrealistic for us to set that as a goal.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Gee I hope we can sign a couple of props over the summer break! Our 1-7 look great for next year but they need a decent pack to play behind.

I'd also love us to sign a quality back rower in the Ben Kennedy mould. One that is a good ball runner but can also create opportunities by passing/offloading. We have Guerra who is a tackling machine,Fitzgibbon who is a hole hitter and Barnett who is consistently underwhelming. It would be great if Sione could develop in a big way. He has good speed for a backrower and can pass/offload the ball.

So for next year, I'd love for Brown to sign 2 big props, a back rower and a back up half.

Burwood

Bench
I don’t think there should be a set time frame for us to win a comp for example but I do think we should aim to be playing consistent finals footy over the next few years. Hopefully 2019 is the year when we break into the bottom half of the top 8 and we can build on that.

One thing that I fully back Brown on is that, in regards to the rebuild, we need to do it right this time. It's no good throwing money at the problem like Tinkler and Bennett and chase a premiership by signing the wrong sort of players for short-term success. If that were to happen we'd be right back at square one in another 2 years. If the club can retain the juniors it wants, recruit well in terms of experience, culture and quality, then we'll naturally be featuring in the finals each year and the possibility of premierships will become a by-product of that.

With the combo of Brown and Mooney picking the players and building the culture, and the financial backing and professionalism of Wests, I think we can become a club like Melbourne, Brisbane etc and experience success over the long-term. Not sure if Brown has what it takes to coach to a premiership, but if he's surrounded by the right staff then hopefully that will make up for some of his deficiencies.

It's fair dinkum that we would have done better this year if we didn't have a lot of the injuries we've had.
For sure all teams get injuries When it's critical players like the spine players it hurts. It hurts us more because we aren't at a stage where we have depth and we haven't had enough wins for the rest of the team to be able to click a bit without those key players.
The injuries show the weakness in the club and what we need to focus on.
This year is a major step forward for me. I reckon we will step it further forward next year.

Woosh

Head Moderator
For the money we signed Sione for we could’ve kept Tapine who was always going to be the better player.

Swarzey

Bench
Tapine left after we resigned Sione which happened after nearly everyone here and basically anywhere demanding the club do everything possible to retain him in 2014.

I LOVE SELECTIVE NARRATIVES AND REVISED HISTORY. :D:D

Dave_

Juniors
So.... the Donkeys have given the crusty old myth the punt. There are reports of players and coaching staff set to follow him out and with most clubs being unable to afford anyone, surely we're in the box seat.

ryan.a87

Juniors
So.... the Donkeys have given the crusty old myth the punt. There are reports of players and coaching staff set to follow him out and with most clubs being unable to afford anyone, surely we're in the box seat.

it isnt official is it?

only reports I can find are ones saying he is rumoured to be shopping himself around

Spot On

Coach

Will be interesting to watch.

Burwood

Bench

We’ll still miss TPJ if Bennett goes to another club and has some room to move in the salary cap. If I were Bennett and about to get shafted by my club, I’d take as many players as I could with me.

Old dog

Juniors
Someone has to go elsewhere for Bennett to get a position and even if so that club has to have space or offload some. If he goes and doesn't have a club then players might put themselves up for signing, TPJ included.

Spot On

Coach
We’ll still miss TPJ if Bennett goes to another club and has some room to move in the salary cap. If I were Bennett and about to get shafted by my club, I’d take as many players as I could with me.

There's a good chance he'll go to a club with a very good roster and/or established playing group with nowhere near the room to move as we do. He can't just 'take' a heap of players with him to a club with a near committed cap.

If that were to happen, players have to move from the new club if Bennett doesn't want them.

Either way., Benny getting the chop may provide us with some decent pickings.

Last edited: