What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Eelogical

Referee
So, we put more emphasis on Pritchard than Hayne when it comes to salary cap constraints. Somebody shoot me.

There may be no squad spot for Hayne
I know Reedy & Stone are signed for next season. Thats 26
Then there is GL who was No 29 in the top 30 this year and Oregon who played NRL last season. That makes 28. Not sure about D Aukafolau
Brown & Utoikamanu would have played NRL last year except the club couldn't get clearance. That could make 30.
Haynesy should have got his contract sorted earlier
Personally I'm a Jarryd fan but would prefer a look to the future of the club

Last edited:

Eelogical

Referee
There's always the chance of someone leaving. Looking at you, Moses...
Moses%20in%20the%20bulrushes.jpg

There may be no squad spot for Hayne
I know Reedy & Stone are signed for next season. Thats 26
Then there is GL who was No 29 in the top 30 this year and Oregon who played NRL last season. That makes 28. Not sure about D Aukafolau
Brown & Utoikamanu would have played NRL last year except the club couldn't get clearance. That could make 30.
Haynesy should have got his contract sorted earlier
Personally I'm a Jarryd fan but would prefer a look to the future of the club

+ Niukore. So there may only be 1 squad spot left

Gronk

Staff member
I don't think we're that far away actually. Some decent leadership in your team at the NRL level can be all you need and be the difference between contending for a Premiership or just contending for a spoon.

Well @1 November, 2018 we have a $gabillion$ to spend for 2020 and I suspect there will be a massive shake up.

I'm hoping we win the comp. We weren't diabolical last year. A change/shuffle in the halves, Mahoney coming on, some bigger forwards and maybe a healthy Hayne, it's possible.

84 Baby

Referee
Mate, if you think any of those 24-27 players signed up for next season are going to provide the leadership required to be a Premiership contender in 2019 then you have a good time with that.
It doesn’t really matter if I think any of them are leaders. In a sustained team environment, leadership can be a very fluid attribute

Chipmunk

Coach
Well @1 November, 2018 we have a $gabillion$ to spend for 2020 and I suspect there will be a massive shake up.

Personally tomorrow I'd tell Jennings, French, Hoffman, Takairangi, Moses/Norman, Ma'u and Mannah thanks for your service, but 2019 will be your last at the Eels, your salary is needed elsewhere in 2020.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Good re-signings.
Gowie - Never lets you down (never turns around and deserts you either), no-nonsense player who gets his work done and shows a high level of professionalism. Will be very happy to have him at the club post-career working with the juniors coming through. Great role model.

Jennings - Awarded our best back this year. Metre-eater winger. Will be nice to have 2 wingers who like rucking the ball out, will help get our sets off on the right foot. Will need to be on the look out though as we have 2 big wingers on his heels.

Terepo - Showed glimpses this year what he's capable of doing, and like our best prop Alvaro has been slowly improving each year. I'm tipping a big year for Peni if he can stay injury free over the off-season

Pritchard - Probably the most maligned of all the re-signings. I'm a bit iffy on this one. Kaysa has shown his talent when he's been on the field, but he's rarely on it. I think a lessened schedule will benefit him massively and see the best of him coming in short bursts. Given who else was off-contract in the dummy half ranks (Segeyaro, Koroisau) he probably provides the best value.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm hoping we win the comp. We weren't diabolical last year. A change/shuffle in the halves, Mahoney coming on, some bigger forwards and maybe a healthy Hayne, it's possible.

I don't think we're a snowballs chance in hell of winning the comp in 2019 with the current squad as is.

I don't think we're a snowballs chance in hell of winning the comp in 2019 with the current squad as is.
It doesn't take much to change a team's fortunes. Who knows, maybe Norman will finally 'get it' and take things seriously. If Moses goes for instance, he might relish being the main man again.