What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

adamkungl

Immortal
No, they’re not being moved.

This was the compromise to save money. But there will be 50,000 seats closer to the action, some up to 18 meters closer.

Ok.
The biggest difference will be the goalpost ends. Steeper and closer will make a huge difference there.
Pity about the top levels. I just paid $240 a pop to sit up on bloody level 6 for the Grand Final!

Ok.
The biggest difference will be the goalpost ends. Steeper and closer will make a huge difference there.
Pity about the top levels. I just paid $240 a pop to sit up on bloody level 6 for the Grand Final!

There will be one advantage to level 6, the atmosphere should be greatly improved. Because of the new roof design it will keep a lot of the noise in.

9D53162A-37CB-478D-AF5F-40EDD50C36A1.jpeg

The more I’ve looked at the plans for ANZ the more I think people are wrong to say it’s just lipstick on a pig.

What we’re essentially getting is a brand new 50,000 seat stadium within a 70,000 seat stadium, Souths & Bulldogs will have their own Suncorp.

I understand the frustration that a complete brand new stadium isn’t being built, but this is still a significant upgrade. Albeit with compromises.

All seats will be undercover, 50,000 seats improved, new roof will improve the atmosphere, new scoreboards.

Ideally the top deck will be blocked off for club games, but I’m not sure that’ll happen.

Could also see the Tigers moving their games back there too. Their fans didn’t really take to BankWest.

BlueandGold

Juniors
No, they’re not being moved.

This was the compromise to save money. But there will be 50,000 seats closer to the action, some up to 18 meters closer.

95% of games will be outstanding in the new lower bowl + protection from the elements with 100% roof covering and all the new amenities.

Its not perfect but it will do the job just fine.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There will be one advantage to level 6, the atmosphere should be greatly improved. Because of the new roof design it will keep a lot of the noise in.

View attachment 33396

The other improvement will be that the new design is almost a single tier so the fans in the upper level won’t feel as segregated from the lower tiers and more part of the action. Stadiums with lots of tier overhang are good for keeping everyone close but they do break the crowd up a lot.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
95% of games will be outstanding in the new lower bowl + protection from the elements with 100% roof covering and all the new amenities.

Its not perfect but it will do the job just fine.

My only worry with that is we end up with a similar situation to now in 15-20 years. A rebuild of this magnitude should be a 30+ year project.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Seriously, Chatswood Oval would have been a great shout when the Mandarin Centre was the super dinky Gordon Rugby Clubhouse and the Apartments on the other side of Orchard Road were federation style houses back in like 1991 but that ship has well and truly sailed.

Yep. No chance you’d get it over the line now due to noise issues. You really think all those apartment residents (who let’s face it aren’t of a big sport attending demographic) are going to be thrilled with being right next to a stadium?

Timbo

Staff member
The more I’ve looked at the plans for ANZ the more I think people are wrong to say it’s just lipstick on a pig.

What we’re essentially getting is a brand new 50,000 seat stadium within a 70,000 seat stadium, Souths & Bulldogs will have their own Suncorp.

I understand the frustration that a complete brand new stadium isn’t being built, but this is still a significant upgrade. Albeit with compromises.

All seats will be undercover, 50,000 seats improved, new roof will improve the atmosphere, new scoreboards.

Ideally the top deck will be blocked off for club games, but I’m not sure that’ll happen.

Could also see the Tigers moving their games back there too. Their fans didn’t really take to BankWest.

Since they're spending three-quarters of a billion dollars on it, there has to be a little bit in there for a curtain for the top tier.

There's no excuse not to.

I agree with your entire post also.

adamkungl

Immortal

Hope you're right!

Since they're spending three-quarters of a billion dollars on it, there has to be a little bit in there for a curtain for the top tier.

There's no excuse not to.

I agree with your entire post also.

You’d hope so, but it just feels like one of the first things that’ll be cut when the cost inevitably blows out.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You’d hope so, but it just feels like one of the first things that’ll be cut when the cost inevitably blows out.

As it should be. It’s something that can be added later (subject to load bearing capacity of the roof) compared to structural stuff which you’re stuck with once its built.
Don’t get me wrong, it’d be good to have but in the list of most important elements it’s near the bottom.

As it should be. It’s something that can be added later (subject to load bearing capacity of the roof) compared to structural stuff which you’re stuck with once its built.
Don’t get me wrong, it’d be good to have but in the list of most important elements it’s near the bottom.

Obviously structural elements are more important, but I’d argue having an intimate mode is one of the more important fan experience elements of these new stadiums.

Both ANZ & Allianz will 90% of the time have less than 20/25k spectators, improving the atmosphere should be a priority in these large stadiums.

Timbo

Staff member
Win or lose I really hope that Croker has been worded up about throwing gws Barr under the bus with a jt style civic stadium proposal.

Well, his usual bullshit line is that we have to win a premiership to get a stadium. Absolutely no f**king idea why that would be the case, but it has been his line.

I wonder what his next furphy will be when we win on Sunday.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Well, his usual bullshit line is that we have to win a premiership to get a stadium. Absolutely no f**king idea why that would be the case, but it has been his line.

My bets are reprisals of the old ‘we really need three full time tenants for it to be feasible’, ‘the Raiders and Brumbies don’t sell out the current stadium’, and of course ‘“multipurpose” stadiums are more sustainable, that is my preference’.

GAZF

First Grade

If they're going to go that route, they need to make it very clear that the people of Canberra have shown where their loyalties lie and that they deserve better. Worth mentioning how Bankwest has transformed the gameday experience at Parra, and how the new Townsville stadium will do the same, as Canberra falls behind.

As good as the viking clap sounded at the game on Friday with 26 000, it sounded twice as good when there were only 1000-2000 doing it in the southern stand at Bankwest earlier this year. The atmosphere from a similar stadium would entice extra fans to each game on its own, let alone proximity to bars and restaurants.

Burns

First Grade
Been living in Canberra for 18 months now. Isn’t the real issue the location, rather than the cost? Civic Pool is where it would be built right?

I know this is a rugby league forum etc, but that pool is pretty, pretty good. Maybe even heritage listed parts of it?

I really wouldn’t want to build the stadium anywhere else because Civic makes so much sense. Kinda like what they have done up in Townsville for the Cowboys. The ‘vibe’ and economic benefits of game day would be immense.

TheRam

Coach
If they're going to go that route, they need to make it very clear that the people of Canberra have shown where their loyalties lie and that they deserve better. Worth mentioning how Bankwest has transformed the gameday experience at Parra, and how the new Townsville stadium will do the same, as Canberra falls behind.

As good as the viking clap sounded at the game on Friday with 26 000, it sounded twice as good when there were only 1000-2000 doing it in the southern stand at Bankwest earlier this year. The atmosphere from a similar stadium would entice extra fans to each game on its own, let alone proximity to bars and restaurants.

It would definitely entice me to go to a footy game for the very first time ever in the Capitol city. Have never ever felt the need or inclination to go there for a footy game. Just looks like any other crappy NRL suburban ground at the moment. Not much to offer as protection from the elements and cold in particular and average game day experience. You build a quality(warm) Stadium in the city of Canberra and I'm there with bells on. Well my Parra jersey on anyway.

Latest posts