What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V South Sydney (otherwise known as the wabbits)

Girds89

Bench
No one is making it to the NRL if they can’t pass both ways.
I coach an u16 team and they can all certainly do it.
This is a strange thing to say.

Yep, players are so skillfull these days..

Look at capewell slotting that field goal in week one for the broncs from 35 out.

They are all just freak athletes at the highest level but even juniors can do the basics like pass it both ways

WestyLife

First Grade
Mate the whole teams improved....

Over thd last 3 years weve gone from avg at best to champions. That requires all your players to improve....

Yeo has gone from not even close to origin level to best forward in the game in that period..

Fish has improved 200%

Cleary has gone to anpther level over last two seasons...

Brian too.

Edwards has always been a great player and hes supporters on here have always been able to see what he brings to our team.

Hes improved no doubt, as have they all..

Im not shocked theyve all improved over the last few years...winning does that..

Again the narrative that we needed a ball playing fb just never fit..critta isnt a natural ball player and neither is staines. Neither is edwards.. but we domt need him to be..

He just needs to do what hes been doing.

Right now over first 4 games hes not only the form fb in the comp hes up there in top 5 players.

Glad we finally agree.

As for don't need a ball playing fullback, if that was true Edwards himself wouldn't be working on it and fans/commentary wouldn't be asking for him to be better at it.

Girds89

Bench
Glad we finally agree.

As for don't need a ball playing fullback, if that was true Edwards himself wouldn't be working on it and fans/commentary wouldn't be asking for him to be better at it.

We definitley dont need a ball playing fb.

Ball playing fbs tend to stiffle the play in the wrong team. They can over play there hand etc.

We just domt need that with the structure smd players we have. We just need dylan to pass the ball when its on to his outside men.

Look at the knights. Its always the problem theyve had with ponga. He can really over play his hand way to much..

Dylan had some nice touches last year with bsll in hand too and i think it was obvious the skill was there he just had to practice as there was oppurtunities he was definitley missing. The amount of crap that was on here that he cant pass left to right etc that i read last year was just nuts.. never had anything to do with ability.

Its always, always been a confidence thing for dylan and cleary has alluded to this.. he has the skills and with hard work obviously in the pre season hes really confident to start the year and its showing.

Hes only just turned 26.. an age when most nrl players start to hit their straps..

Ill still say as always if staines or turuva are good enough to push him out thats fantastic.. but hes on a whole different level to any of the backs atm.

WestyLife

First Grade
We definitley dont need a ball playing fb.

Ball playing fbs tend to stiffle the play in the wrong team. They can over play there hand etc.

We just domt need that with the structure smd players we have. We just need dylan to pass the ball when its on to his outside men.

Look at the knights. Its always the problem theyve had with ponga. He can really over play his hand way to much..

Dylan had some nice touches last year with bsll in hand too and i think it was obvious the skill was there he just had to practice as there was oppurtunities he was definitley missing. The amount of crap that was on here that he cant pass left to right etc that i read last year was just nuts.. never had anything to do with ability.

Its always, always been a confidence thing for dylan and cleary has alluded to this.. he has the skills and with hard work obviously in the pre season hes really confident to start the year and its showing.

Hes only just turned 26.. an age when most nrl players start to hit their straps..

Ill still say as always if staines or turuva are good enough to push him out thats fantastic.. but hes on a whole different level to any of the backs atm.

You're basically quoting my old comments here.

I just want the best players in the positions. Right now that is Edwards and will stay that way if he remains fit. I wouldn't take anyone other fullback over him right now as they can drift in and out of the season and games. I can't be much more fair to him as a player.

betcats

Referee
Taylan is certainly putting pressure on staines not sure how I’d go if we had to drop one this week but probably staines based on some of his defensive efforts the last couple weeks and what we have seen from him overall defensively he has shown the ability to read the game well.

As for watching Taylan in the lower grades anyone who pays attention to that would know he came through Matt’s and SG ball playing hooker. Couple flegg games in 2020 in the centres before it shut down and then onto the wing in 2021 in cup before that shut down. Not saying he is a bad defender but he has to show it on first grade before I’ll say he’s as good as staines in that area.

Yeo and Dylan deserve huge amount of credit for their form to start the year, our two best so far but luai is not far off them, he is back to his attacking best and has been dangerous running the ball again, makes such a difference to our attack when he is running with confidence.

Overall our defence still not where it was last year, line speed was slow last night but probably a result of all the penalties they have been giving away.

WestyLife

First Grade
Taylan is certainly putting pressure on staines not sure how I’d go if we had to drop one this week but probably staines based on some of his defensive efforts the last couple weeks and what we have seen from him overall defensively he has shown the ability to read the game well.

As for watching Taylan in the lower grades anyone who pays attention to that would know he came through Matt’s and SG ball playing hooker. Couple flegg games in 2020 in the centres before it shut down and then onto the wing in 2021 in cup before that shut down. Not saying he is a bad defender but he has to show it on first grade before I’ll say he’s as good as staines in that area.

Yeo and Dylan deserve huge amount of credit for their form to start the year, our two best so far but luai is not far off them, he is back to his attacking best and has been dangerous running the ball again, makes such a difference to our attack when he is running with confidence.

Overall our defence still not where it was last year, line speed was slow last night but probably a result of all the penalties they have been giving away.

There seem to be more people who thinks Staines will be the one dropped. I can see why although I'd personally like to see Staines get to keep the spot.

betcats

Referee
There seem to be more people who thinks Staines will be the one dropped. I can see why although I'd personally like to see Staines get to keep the spot.

4 or 5 weeks at least before we make a decision. It’s certainly going to tough to drop either of them on current form, I won’t say definitely either way I will say staines has been very good defensively and he’s clearly the fastest in the team. May has shown great finishing and metre making so it’s going to be really tough, I’m leaning towards staines for now but again we have weeks left before it needs to be decided. Very good problem to have.

Girds89

Bench
Lucky we dont need to worry about staines or tiny for another 6 or so weeks.

Thats a long time on footy. Anything can happen..

I dont know which way ivan will go if both our fit when brians back..

Personally i think if taylan and staines are both playing as good or better than last night when brians back than he can play a week of nsw cup to get his fitness up in my books..

Only cleary, yeo, jfh and api are certainties in fg imo.. all others should have to prove their fitness and fight for a spot.

Yes i know brian is brilliant but by the times hes back hell have only played 1.5 games in 6 months....

And i said after rd 1 he just didnt look match fit..hes work rate was down and he looked buggered.

If staines and tiny are killing brian needs to earn his spot back.. thats they way it should be for most of them.

Girds89

Bench
4 or 5 weeks at least before we make a decision. It’s certainly going to tough to drop either of them on current form, I won’t say definitely either way I will say staines has been very good defensively and he’s clearly the fastest in the team. May has shown great finishing and metre making so it’s going to be really tough, I’m leaning towards staines for now but again we have weeks left before it needs to be decided. Very good problem to have.
My only issue with this post is your reference to staines being cleary the quickest in the team.

I truly believe him and tiny would be extremley close..

We are still yet to see staines blitz the field with his speed in attack...

WestyLife

First Grade
Nor is it a defence for the clueless death riding of him as he continually earned his spot and proved himself the best option. It is yet another thing you got wrong.

You have a very weird fixation with me. You'd do well on the nrl reddit discord.

No one said he couldn't be what he is now. His constant injuries and lack of confidence was a valid concern. He has killed it since and I'm more than happy to say I underestimated Dyl and have multiple times now including saying I wouldn't want any other fullback in the comp.

WestyLife

First Grade
Lucky we dont need to worry about staines or tiny for another 6 or so weeks.

Thats a long time on footy. Anything can happen..

I dont know which way ivan will go if both our fit when brians back..

Personally i think if taylan and staines are both playing as good or better than last night when brians back than he can play a week of nsw cup to get his fitness up in my books..

Only cleary, yeo, jfh and api are certainties in fg imo.. all others should have to prove their fitness and fight for a spot.

Yes i know brian is brilliant but by the times hes back hell have only played 1.5 games in 6 months....

And i said after rd 1 he just didnt look match fit..hes work rate was down and he looked buggered.

If staines and tiny are killing brian needs to earn his spot back.. thats they way it should be for most of them.

100%. Needs to be the best players in the positions and at the very least To'o will need fitness. Whoever gets dropped will have deserved to keep their spot but there's only 17 of them. At least whoever is picked will be good regardless so it's a win in a sense.

WestyLife

First Grade
My only issue with this post is your reference to staines being cleary the quickest in the team.

We saw it in defence last night and hopefully will see the right improve now Nathan is back.

betcats

Referee

May Is fast but imo staines looks to have another gear over him in speed. Saw it last week running down hoy, this week running down walker then getting out to the winger when walker passed it. Even last year he went toe to toe with the fox, he looks a step or two quicker from what I have seen.

Iamback

Coach
We saw it in defence last night and hopefully will see the right improve now Nathan is back.

The right hasn't done much attack across the 2 seasons. Martin being on the edge won't help. So the left's try scoring isn't going anywhere.

You aren't going to drop the leading try scorer without a major flaw

DinkyDi

Juniors
1648851272893.jpeg

Attachments

• 277675991_10224101714383206_7658482258234546117_n.jpg
    277675991_10224101714383206_7658482258234546117_n.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 277568855_10224101712583161_4401089024379323265_n.jpg
    277568855_10224101712583161_4401089024379323265_n.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 277563706_10224101714503209_6928491463864618094_n.jpg
    277563706_10224101714503209_6928491463864618094_n.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 277104666_10224101713383181_6888454523787702569_n.jpg
    277104666_10224101713383181_6888454523787702569_n.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 4
  • 277229673_10224101712303154_5421430555003291011_n.jpg
    277229673_10224101712303154_5421430555003291011_n.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3

BxTom

Bench
Staines has it over May when To'o gets back. He has the combo with Chrichton on that side, May does not. May's defence lets him down too. With more experience the defence should improve though.

Iamback

Coach
We play

Bulldogs
Broncos
Canberra
GC

All before To'o is back. The left side is going to tear them apart