What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V South Sydney (otherwise known as the wabbits)

Girds89

Bench
Staines has it over May when To'o gets back. He has the combo with Chrichton on that side, May does not. May's defence lets him down too. With more experience the defence should improve though.
What defensive decisions have been solely mays fault in his 3 nrl games??

As i said the tries down the right last night staines didnt jam in to cut of the over lap.

Is that what people are putting taylan down for but not the other side...

It seems when a try is scored on the right its just sorta played down on here but if its on the left the knifes are out and everyone is dissecting the play.

Thats just directed at everyone as a whole not you bx.

The issues with our defence again is due to the inside.... cant be any clearer.. again both tries last night werent the fault of the centres or wing on both sides. It was the inside men that didnt number up.

Not sure where this notion taylan isnt a good defender has come from in 3 nrl games..its a myth.. theres been tries down both sides to start the year but all we hear is the rights rock solid and awesome defenders but the left isnt and needs work.

Taylan is a very good defender as is staines.. they arent the issue in defence. Niether is critta or tago.

Iamback

Coach
They can... they just play on preffered sides..doesnt mean that cant do it..

Go to panthers training. I bet you the house leota can throw a 15 or 20m ball both ways..

But can he step off both feet? Hold the ball in both hands and so on?

Every team in the comp has a defined left and right side. The FB usually plays both sides.

Opposition sides do hours of video sessions a week. Take Souths mainly score on the left side. Why didn't change the left and right side around in the finals?

It would of caught the opposition off guard.

Not possible due to timing. Lead runners would be on the wrong shoulder. Pass timing off and so on

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Taylan is certainly putting pressure on staines not sure how I’d go if we had to drop one this week but probably staines based on some of his defensive efforts the last couple weeks and what we have seen from him overall defensively he has shown the ability to read the game well.

As for watching Taylan in the lower grades anyone who pays attention to that would know he came through Matt’s and SG ball playing hooker. Couple flegg games in 2020 in the centres before it shut down and then onto the wing in 2021 in cup before that shut down. Not saying he is a bad defender but he has to show it on first grade before I’ll say he’s as good as staines in that area.

Yeo and Dylan deserve huge amount of credit for their form to start the year, our two best so far but luai is not far off them, he is back to his attacking best and has been dangerous running the ball again, makes such a difference to our attack when he is running with confidence.

Overall our defence still not where it was last year, line speed was slow last night but probably a result of all the penalties they have been giving away.
I was going to ask how you'll all think of May playing Hooker. Out him there next year?

kinghippo

Juniors
Taylan is certainly putting pressure on staines not sure how I’d go if we had to drop one this week but probably staines based on some of his defensive efforts the last couple weeks and what we have seen from him overall defensively he has shown the ability to read the game well.

As for watching Taylan in the lower grades anyone who pays attention to that would know he came through Matt’s and SG ball playing hooker. Couple flegg games in 2020 in the centres before it shut down and then onto the wing in 2021 in cup before that shut down. Not saying he is a bad defender but he has to show it on first grade before I’ll say he’s as good as staines in that area.

Yeo and Dylan deserve huge amount of credit for their form to start the year, our two best so far but luai is not far off them, he is back to his attacking best and has been dangerous running the ball again, makes such a difference to our attack when he is running with confidence.

Overall our defence still not where it was last year, line speed was slow last night but probably a result of all the penalties they have been giving away.
It’s so difficult to keep up on reserve grade. I miss when all three games were played consecutively on game day.
How did May go at hooker? He would certainly be a running threat, I know nothing about his passing, and defending in the middle is not easy.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
My only issue with this post is your reference to staines being cleary the quickest in the team.

I truly believe him and tiny would be extremley close..

We are still yet to see staines blitz the field with his speed in attack...
He blitz the sharks in his debut

Girds89

Bench
But can he step off both feet? Hold the ball in both hands and so on?

Every team in the comp has a defined left and right side. The FB usually plays both sides.

Opposition sides do hours of video sessions a week. Take Souths mainly score on the left side. Why didn't change the left and right side around in the finals?

It would of caught the opposition off guard.

Not possible due to timing. Lead runners would be on the wrong shoulder. Pass timing off and so on

Not really sure where your going.....

Its not really got anything to do with what munky and i were chatting about.

Changing sides after playing a whole year there... haha cmon? Your making no sense to try prove a point haha.

Im 100% sure leota csn step of both feet and hold the ball in both hands.. he just doesnt need to..he has a clear role in our team..

The notion players cant pass both ways or are weaker on one side or the other is just not true..

Im sure players have preffered sides but if you think you can play nrl without bring able to do all the basics your kidding yourself..

Take cody walker.. yep far more lethal on the left in attack! Does that mean he cant play right side???? Ive seen him set up and pass absolute pearlers on the right for trys.

Take luai.... he plays left.... but hes natural side to actually pass is on the right where left hand is dominant...

He plays left as hes got a left foot boot and generally left handed players are more stronger tackling with their left.

But man ive read some stuff on here about luai over the years that he cant pass left to right etc haha. Just have to sit back and laugh..left to right for a left hander is the dominant way to pass the ball as when passing the left hand is the guiding/power hand and the right is purely a support hand underneath the ball.

Iamback

Coach

The next 4 weeks this left side could almost score at will given the opposition.
Are you dropping the leading try scorer without any reason?

As for the defence we just need the same guys in

betcats

Referee
I was going to ask how you'll all think of May playing Hooker. Out him there next year?

Not sure tbh a lot of things change between sg ball and first grade. He is shaping up as a gun outside back now and I think it’s good for us to have a healthy competition for spots. Hooker is such a tough position so I’d have to see him playing senior games there before I could have a real opinion on it.

May, staines, Turuva…we are not going to fit them all in and if you look at our form developing players there will be more guns coming up behind them. The sg ball centre Ryan something has a huge wrap on him, got selected to go to the future origin camp earlier this year, a couple of the flegg backs look great as well so while it’s always disappointing to see talent leave it’s also a chance for next guy to get some games.

Iamback

Coach
Not really sure where your going.....

Its not really got anything to do with what munky and i were chatting about.

Changing sides after playing a whole year there... haha cmon? Your making no sense to try prove a point haha.

Im 100% sure leota csn step of both feet and hold the ball in both hands.. he just doesnt need to..he has a clear role in our team..

The notion players cant pass both ways or are weaker on one side or the other is just not true..

Im sure players have preffered sides but if you think you can play nrl without bring able to do all the basics your kidding yourself..

Take cody walker.. yep far more lethal on the left in attack! Does that mean he cant play right side???? Ive seen him set up and pass absolute pearlers on the right for trys.

Take luai.... he plays left.... but hes natural side to actually pass is on the right where left hand is dominant...

He plays left as hes got a left foot boot and generally left handed players are more stronger tackling with their left.

But man ive read some stuff on here about luai over the years that he cant pass left to right etc haha. Just have to sit back and laugh..left to right for a left hander is the dominant way to pass the ball as when passing the left hand is the guiding/power hand and the right is purely a support hand underneath the ball.

Luai was terrible on the right last year
Kiks was too

Girds89

Bench
He blitz the sharks in his debut
Good trys no doubt... but we havent really seen him beat hes wing on the outside yet say midfield one on one...

He may have speed but imo hes no james roberts. He doesnt have that explosiveness over the first 10m which is so crucial.

I think what some posters may not understand is to an extent all nrl players would be pretty quick.. even most the forwards would be running sub 13.5 sec 100s.

Edwards id think would be mid to high 11s.

Taylan and staines low 11s..

So take edwards vs staines. Thered be lucky to be 0.5 to 1 sec difference over a 100m. Thats like 5 to 10m over a 100 roughly..

So absolutley bugger all. Taylan and staines would be within meters of each other over the 100m

But the issue in the nrl is not all players are as quick when carrying the ball. It can slow some players down a lot.

GI was one of the best movers ever with a footy in hand. He didnt lose any speed at all..

Staines has displayed blinding speed without the ball so far but i think we certainly havent seen that with the ball yet..

But the main speed you want your ball carrier to have is that explosive speed, initially over 10 but than 0-40m.

Personally i think tago looks close to the fastest in the team over 10m with the ball in hand. I said that before a ball was kicked this year.. he is real explosive of just a few steps.. he not as quick over 40 as taylan or staines but over 10m with ball in hand hes dynamic.

As for over 40m with ball in hand, staines and taylan would finish within 1 to 2m of each other either way.

Iamback

Coach
Your missing the point munky and i were talking about.

Simply players arent limited in what they can do. To get to the nrl you have to be able to pass both ways lol

So why don't coaches move good left side players to the right?

Girds89

Bench
So why don't coaches move good left side players to the right?
Because luai is a left footed kicker.
Munster is a left footed kicker
Cody....

They are all left handed so tackling with their left arm is the dominant arm.. kicking from the left as a lefty is easier as it gives the whole field to draw your kick back into.

Tackling is the big thing.. its more natural for right handers to favour the right shoulder and vice versa..

Not to say players cant tabkle with opposite arms they ckeary can. Theres a shitload of reasons coaches dont but defence is the main one..

Take kiks and hes grubbers that are soo good with his left because hes left footed.... he cant do that on the right.

All pretty simple really. Youre over complicating it.. they play left because its a dominant side for tackling, stepping back in off left and for kicking..

But to pass as a leftie the dominant way is actually left to right. Which just proves my point that all nrl players especially your halfs can pass it both way no dramas.. as for most of the top teams both there halfs are passing to there weaker side... which is the case for us, souths, melbs and a few others who have right and lefties

Munky

Coach
Your missing the point munky and i were talking about.

Simply players arent limited in what they can do. To get to the nrl you have to be able to pass both ways lol

I don't mean they can't pass left to right I'm trying to say the quality of the left to right passes is well below right to left.

At training I'm sure the props can put up spiral bombs but not sure how they'd go in a game.

hindy111

Post Whore
I will watch a replay as missed the game.

I will say that an option might be to let Too go and keep Staines and May. I imagine what Brian would cost you'd get those two for same price. It isn't just about who is better but also balance for the cap. I'm sure you can afford all 3 with some big names leaving next year but is it needed?

hindy111

Post Whore
We definitley dont need a ball playing fb.

Ball playing fbs tend to stiffle the play in the wrong team. They can over play there hand etc.

We just domt need that with the structure smd players we have. We just need dylan to pass the ball when its on to his outside men.

Look at the knights. Its always the problem theyve had with ponga. He can really over play his hand way to much..

Dylan had some nice touches last year with bsll in hand too and i think it was obvious the skill was there he just had to practice as there was oppurtunities he was definitley missing. The amount of crap that was on here that he cant pass left to right etc that i read last year was just nuts.. never had anything to do with ability.

Its always, always been a confidence thing for dylan and cleary has alluded to this.. he has the skills and with hard work obviously in the pre season hes really confident to start the year and its showing.

Hes only just turned 26.. an age when most nrl players start to hit their straps..

Ill still say as always if staines or turuva are good enough to push him out thats fantastic.. but hes on a whole different level to any of the backs atm.

Ponga issue isn't overplaying his hand. It is the fact he is always injured and plays soft. His defense is only average also. He is falling into your Moylan category.
Fullback have to play tough

Girds89

Bench
I don't mean they can't pass left to right I'm trying to say the quality of the left to right passes is well below right to left.

At training I'm sure the props can put up spiral bombs but not sure how they'd go in a game.
Could just be that theres less lefties in the game..

Its more natural for nath to pass towards luai than it is to pass to his outside men.

Yes your right, in a game under fatigue and pressure it would be different for props but most 2nd rowers these days are soo sooo skillfull..

Kiks kicking game is unreal for a 120kg bloke.

Hes no look pass to taylan last night to set up that try was world class for even the best halfs.

Girds89

Bench
Ponga issue isn't overplaying his hand. It is the fact he is always injured and plays soft. His defense is only average also. He is falling into your Moylan category.
Fullback have to play tough
He overplayed hes hand yesterday massivley and has a lot in the past..

hindy111

Post Whore
He overplayed hes hand yesterday massivley and has a lot in the past..

But it isn't his issue. He is a fantastic player and highly skilled. Like Moylan.
His issue is he plays soft. The two be as t defensive fullback in them game are Gutherson and Edwards. There always alert and put body on lines. They are also big enough to stop many.

Ponga,Walsh that Dwarf dogs signed, even Papenhuzen just don't have the power or physical size to be great defenders.

Ponga if fit every week would be still in my top few fullbacks. But he just seems to be injury prone. And has to many quiet games