What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Pantherjim.

Referee
2AF38102-B485-4638-8604-4F89C2E90577.jpeg

Flat on his back on the ground, pinned down by two opposition players and by the looks of it, had his eyes closed at the time… Yeah, sure….That kick to Starling’s nads was intentional….

Chimp

Bench
I for one welcome these sorts of press conferences. I expect Mene Gene Okerlund to conduct all future NRL press conferences.
Whilst I agree with the general consensus that Ricky has made himself look an absolute fool, I genuinely am happy to see some real verbal needle - the game does lack some real hatred/rivalry nowadays.
Would be better coming player vs player, and even better if there was any real chance of them actually going toe to toe to settle the score during a match, as the anticipation of that would give us all something to look forward to, keeps the neutrals interested in matches they might not usually pay much attention to.
There’s a reason UFC is fasting growing sport on the planet, there’s a reason why UFC and boxing create these ‘scenes’ at press conferences - it’s is all a bit WWF, but it sells, people love the story, love the anticipation it brings.
Rugby league could learn a lot from it - there are more people out there who’d be likely to tune in if there was some real hatred and a chance of some biff than there are mums who are put off by it. Rugby league backed the wrong horse cowering down and banning the biff. It should have been controlled to remove cowardly king hits, but you’ve removed an important essence of the game, where you hate each other for 80 mins, then shake hands and have a pint together afterward. And the fans love it - Origin is nowhere near the spectacle it was pre-biff ban. Nowadays it’s just a high quality NRL game.

Saxon

Bench
Something that's been overlooked, but that was pointed out to me by one of the legal guys at work as we discussed it at lunchtime, is that there's a real disconnect (which could easily be seen as false and/or misleading in a defamation trial) between Sticky's statement and the Salmon family's.
Sticky says " I know that kid very well.", the family say he's had no contact with him in the past 10 years. If that's the case then Ricky may well be in a world of hurt since he is suggesting that foul behaviour is a common trait of young Salmon rather than 2 isolated incidents. And that is absolutely defamation!

Chimp

Bench
I wonder how Ricky is viewed by the wider Canberra fans - it’s pretty unanimous with the Raiders fans on here that they’re not impressed by his latest outburst or his actual coaching record and teams performance.

Floodwaters

Juniors
His renowned for saying dumb shit in the media or losing the plot, lets create a list.

First 3 off the top of my head

- Forced to stand down as Australian coach after Australia lost to NZ in 2008, giving it to the refs the following day in the hotel lobby.

- Got called a sexiest when he said he should be coaching netball if he can't have hard conversations with his players.

- Said he'd be happy to win 1 game in a best of 3 series against QLD.

Please add.

Sphagnum

Coach
wonder what dirty nightmare the media have been hanging onto to get their mate stick off the front page

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
His renowned for saying dumb shit in the media or losing the plot, lets create a list.

First 3 off the top of my head

- Forced to stand down as Australian coach after Australia lost to NZ in 2008, giving it to the refs the following day in the hotel lobby.

- Got called a sexiest when he said he should be coaching netball if he can't have hard conversations with his players.

- Said he'd be happy to win 1 game in a best of 3 series against QLD.

Please add.
How hype will the return press conference be?

Don Jnr: Alright Stick keep you emotions in check and just answer calmly

Stick: Its fine. I got dis Donny

Press: So Ricky can you give your opinion on the game?

Stick: Hitler was right!

Floodwaters

Juniors
Look at Canberra's losses this year.

v Cowboys (A) 26-6
v Sea Eagles (A) 25-6
v Storm (H) 16-30
v Cowboys (H) 12-18
v Panthers (A) 36-6
v Warriors (A) 21-20 (GP)
v Eels (H) 20-28
v Broncos (A) 24-18
v Panthers (H) 6-26
v Dragons (A) 12-10

7/10 losses come against Top 8 sides, they lost 5/6 against Top 4 sides. Majority of the losses against top 8 sides are wide margins as well.

The Manly loss come when Manly had Turbo and Manly are pushing Top 4 when Turbo is fit.. if they won against Dragons and Warriors they'd still be in the mix, they'd be 12-8.

mozza91

Coach
Kent is now slandering Salmon and the NRL. The NRL know the truth aka they know what Stuart has told them.

Stick could go on a shooting spree and Kent would defend him to the hilt.

Kent is now slandering Salmon and the NRL. The NRL know the truth aka they know what Stuart has told them.

Stick could go on a shooting spree and Kent would defend him to the hilt.
Jayden and his family (by all accounts) has to be pulled back from making a comment on the night about how they had been tarnished. I hope the club give the advice on how to do it properly to get their message out, but then let them go for it.

Latest posts