What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

yobbo84

Coach
Kids say awful things. It's true. There's some real little sh*ts out there. Most grow out of it, some don't.

BUT THEY ARE KIDS.

If you're defending a 55 year old man for using a position of power to publicly insult a person based on what they said when they were 12 years olds.... no matter how vile... you're beyond help. Your brain and whole way of thinking is cooked.

soc123_au

Staff member
Kent doing his best to paint Ricky as the victim. He fails to mention that whatever Salmon did or said that was so horrific was when he was 11 or 12 years old. My take reading between the lines is he possibly insulted Ricky’s boy about his sister being autistic. Pretty horrible if that’s the case, but he was still 12 ffs. 12 year old kids are horrible little merkins at the best of times when it comes to mouthing off.

Floodwaters

Juniors
I'm not saying its right but I occasionally jump on fortnite with my 7 year old son and the words "spastic and genius" gets thrown around alot by the younger generation, you can't really hold that against a 12 year old if thats what happened.

Pantherjim.

Referee
To me a grudge is somewhere you pork your cor

Ah yes, “the 12th man” a timeless classic.

After the Captain’s coin toss:

Ian Chappell: “So what do you want to do AB?”

Allan Border “We’ll run this way I think Ian”

Ian Chappell: “Ok AB…. Well, Allan Border and his boys have elected to run with the wind, so that means that Pakistan will have the kick off. Back to you Richie….”

Richie Benaud: “Thanks Ian”

Richie Benaud off air: “Pakistan are gonna kick off? What f*cken game are we playing here? Has everyone gone completely mad?!”

I'm not saying its right but I occasionally jump on fortnite with my 7 year old son and the words "spastic and genius" gets thrown around alot by the younger generation, you can't really hold that against a 12 year old if thats what happened.
I also find the idea that, playing in the junior rugby league of the Cronulla Sharks and obviously dreaming of a route to make rugby league your profession, that Jayden Salmon has decided to, unprovoked, pick on the son of the first grade coach of Cronulla, a little hard to swallow.

Ah yes, “the 12th man” a timeless classic.

After the Captain’s coin toss:

Ian Chappell: “So what do you want to do AB?”

Allan Border “We’ll run this way I think Ian”

Ian Chappell: “Ok AB…. Well, Allan Border and his boys have elected to run with the wind, so that means that Pakistan will have the kick off. Back to you Richie….”

Richie Benaud: “Thanks Ian”

Richie Benaud off air: “Pakistan are gonna kick off? What f*cken game are we playing here? Has everyone gone completely mad?!”
My favourite (and weirdly apt here for Kenty’s defender of Sticky)

Bill: Grahemy Labrooy? His name's Graeme Max...

Max: Yes, well. All his team mates have such long and complicated names. Seems a shame for this young man to miss out. I think I'll just go on calling him Grahemy.

Bill: Jeez you're f****d in the head sometimes Max.

Whilst I agree with the general consensus that Ricky has made himself look an absolute fool, I genuinely am happy to see some real verbal needle - the game does lack some real hatred/rivalry nowadays.
Would be better coming player vs player, and even better if there was any real chance of them actually going toe to toe to settle the score during a match, as the anticipation of that would give us all something to look forward to, keeps the neutrals interested in matches they might not usually pay much attention to.
There’s a reason UFC is fasting growing sport on the planet, there’s a reason why UFC and boxing create these ‘scenes’ at press conferences - it’s is all a bit WWF, but it sells, people love the story, love the anticipation it brings.
Rugby league could learn a lot from it - there are more people out there who’d be likely to tune in if there was some real hatred and a chance of some biff than there are mums who are put off by it. Rugby league backed the wrong horse cowering down and banning the biff. It should have been controlled to remove cowardly king hits, but you’ve removed an important essence of the game, where you hate each other for 80 mins, then shake hands and have a pint together afterward. And the fans love it - Origin is nowhere near the spectacle it was pre-biff ban. Nowadays it’s just a high quality NRL game.

I agree. I was just thinking the other day, what if UFC fighters threatened legal action over any bad thing a fighter said about another fighter? The courts would be busy for sure.

How good is the next Canberra/Penrith game going to be? What if players were speaking out against each other. Box office shit.

nick87

Coach
Its not good if Salmon bullied Ricky's daughter with autism as a 12 year old but.. he was 12 FFS

All jokes aside, it really doesnt matter what Salmon did. He's a kid, the reason we dont let kids drink, drive, smoke, vote etc when they're 12 is because we understand they're not yet developed to the point of trusting them to make the right decisions.

My favourite (and weirdly apt here for Kenty’s defender of Sticky)

Bill: Grahemy Labrooy? His name's Graeme Max...

Max: Yes, well. All his team mates have such long and complicated names. Seems a shame for this young man to miss out. I think I'll just go on calling him Grahemy.

Bill: Jeez you're f****d in the head sometimes Max.

Banger. Not as good as

Ritchie: Max! You cant be in here!
Max: Well Ritchie, i've got this big motherf**king cricket bat that says i can
Ritchie: Have a seat, Max.