What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luckiest first grade career of all time

Incorrect

Coach
Ross Conlon. 150+ games and played for NSW and Australia, based mainly on his penchant for place kicking the ball in all situations.
Yeah I can remember once driving up the M1 motorway and my car broke down. I know f**k all about cars, but just popped the bonnet and put the hazard's on.... Ross Conlon stopped and said to me, "maybe I can help"... I was like "yeah mate, anything you can do, I'd appreciate it"....
Then he went to the boot of his car, came back with a little bucket filled with sand, made a little mound, placed a Steeden on it and kicked it about 50 metres over the guard rails in to the bush then jumped in his car and f**ked off!!

Last edited:
I reckon Ben Pomeroy must have been a good mate of Gallen's as he was one of the worst players I've ever seen and i don't think he ever got dropped once from the Sharks team. 158 games he played for us wikipedia just told me, about 4 years of eagerly waiting for the team list every week hoping he'd been dropped but nope.

Munky

Coach
what about Anthony Quinn and Steve Turner, both got picked for NSW just cause they were lucky enough to play for the Storm.

Turner was a pretty good winger IMO and I still feel that his horror game for NSW was because Gasnier was out of position every time marking up on GI and Turner was left hung out to dry.

I don't think he was first choice rep quality but solid club player.

Munky

Coach
every time that top try scorers list appears and seeing Beaver up there - kissed on the dick big time

Top bloke though

The same could be said of Alex Johnston.

On the end of gun playmakers. Robert Jennings scored a shit load of tries in the same system.

Both AJ and Beaver are/were the recipients of great service but probably worth a few more tries per year than if others played in the same position.

Beaver ran great lines his entire career and still averaged a try every two games or so as an old man against admittedly weaker opposition in the Super League.

Valheru

Coach
When answering this question I like to look at players that maximised relatively low talent by winning premiership/s

Paul Marquet

257 games and 2 premierships without a single rep game as far as I can see. I can't say I even really remember him so if someone wants to tell me he was a gun, I'm all ears.

When answering this question I like to look at players that maximised relatively low talent by winning premiership/s

Paul Marquet

257 games and 2 premierships without a single rep game as far as I can see. I can't say I even really remember him so if someone wants to tell me he was a gun, I'm all ears.
Geez, i can remember the bloke but didn't realise he'd played that many games. Think he had the tape around his head most games, but i could even be thinking of someone else. Glenn Grief springs to mind for some reason.

Surely John Rheinberger wins this one. Only played 2 first grade games in his entire career, first one was on the bench for the 1975 Preliminary Final for the Roosters against Manly, and his only starting game that just happened to be for the Roosters in the 1975 Grand Final against St George after Mark Harris broke his leg in the preliminary final.

In terms of "luck" I dare say he'd be no. 1 as he has a 100% win rate as a first grade player (source: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/john-rheinberger/summary.html)

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Surely John Rheinberger wins this one. Only played 2 first grade games in his entire career, first one was on the bench for the 1975 Preliminary Final for the Roosters against Manly, and his only starting game that just happened to be for the Roosters in the 1975 Grand Final against St George after Mark Harris broke his leg in the preliminary final.

In terms of "luck" I dare say he'd be no. 1 as he has a 100% win rate as a first grade player (source: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/john-rheinberger/summary.html)
Yep won't beat him. Won a premiership in a two game career. Good call Captain.

Munky

Coach

Paul Marquet

Pretty much every member of a premiership side got a city/country or QLD Jersey at one point in time.

Penrith 2003 and 2021 have almost the entire squad playing a rep game.

I think only Luke Swain, Scott Sorrenson and Momo from the two most recent Penrith premiership sides haven't played rep footy.

Sorro would definitely get a City jumper now if it was still around.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach

Paul Marquet

John Plath was a career bench player but won 4 premierships

Nuke

Staff member
Geez, i can remember the bloke but didn't realise he'd played that many games. Think he had the tape around his head most games, but i could even be thinking of someone else. Glenn Grief springs to mind for some reason.
Yep, that's him.
And the Glenn Grief reference that springs to your mind could be Newcastle 2001. Both were in the Knights premiership team that year.

Latest posts