What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Canard

Immortal
There's even less evidence for that than Marn Grook having an influence.

Modern Gaelic football first started appearing in the 1870s, 11 years after Aussie Rules was codified, and wasn't codified until 1884, 25 years after Aussie Rules and 4 years after Wills died.

Caid (the Irish equivalent of Shrovetide games that predated Gaelic Football) weren't particularly similar to what became Gaelic football either. There's also less reason to believe that Wills encountered any of the Caid games than Marn Grook, with only a handful of accounts of any of them being played in Australia on gold fields in SA and Vic that we know for a fact that Wills wasn't present to witness, and they certainly weren't ever played regularly in England, let alone when he was there.

The original rules of Gaelic football being almost identical to the Melbourne rules (i.e. Aussie Rules) of the time has actually lead some to suggest that Irish immigrants that had returned from Australia influenced Gealic football's rules, not the other way around, but again the evidence is circumstantial at best. In other words there's about as much evidence for that hypothesis as there is that Marn Grook inspired Aussie Rules.

Edit:

Turns out that I should have updated my knowledge before talking about this subject.

Direct evidence has been found in the last 10 years that the GAA copied rules from Victorian Rules rulebooks of 1860-70s verbatim, and there's even paperwork from Limerick that states that they adopted some of the Victorian Rules.

Many of those rules have been removed from the rule book over time, and pretty much all of those that were left have evolved in completely different ways in Ireland than they did down here, but Aussie Rules did directly influence Gaelic Football and not the other way around.

Great info, I just assumed that the Irish game was much older TBH.

I stand corrected.

Wb1234

Referee
Aussie Rules is a direct descendant of Gaelic Footbal, in my opinion.

I mean the general rules are very similar, with differences evolving over time being the use of a rugby football, more leeway in tackling, and a cricket oval.

There was certainly a lot of Irish in Melbourne and surrounds at the time, and it's been documented that they played games in Melbourne post their arrival here.
someone said the rules of rugby at the time were all about taking marks like afl does today and then getting a free kick

originally there was just one football game in England where you were allowed to pick up the ball.

soccer decided to go down no hands allowed whilst union was supposedly formed when William Webb Ellis picked up a soccer ball at rugby school and ran with it ( another lie)

The Great Dane

First Grade
someone said the rules of rugby at the time were all about taking marks like afl does today and then getting a free kick

originally there was just one football game in England where you were allowed to pick up the ball.

soccer decided to go down no hands allowed whilst union was supposedly formed when William Webb Ellis picked up a soccer ball at rugby school and ran with it ( another lie)
None of that is true either (with the exception of the Webb Ellis story being a myth), but I honestly can't be bothered going through it.

Everything I've said can be sourced.
so can what I said dummy

In 2008 — as part of Australian Rules football's 150th anniversary celebration — the AFL commissioned the historian, Gillian Hibbins, to write an essay on Australian football's origins in which she said the idea that Australian Rules football originated from Aboriginal games was "a seductive myth".

Another football historian, Dr Greg de Moore, has been unable to find any link between the Aboriginal games and the one codified in the late 1850s, in more than 10 years of research.

"There is an evidence gap … I've seen nothing in recent years to change my view," Dr de Moore said.

"I've found nothing that documented that he ( Wills) saw the game. He never made reference to it, and no one ever else made reference to it," de Moore said.

As to the possible Aboriginal origins of the game: "I wish it were true, I really wish it were true, but I can't find any evidence that supports that," he said.

Of the AFL's new position on the origins of the game, Mr Hay said, "That just simply is an attempt to rewrite history."

The AFL says the sharing of oral history by Aboriginal elders confirms the Indigenous connection to Australian Rules

oral history ... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
you couldn't make this shit up

oh hang on
racistball actually did 🤣

enough academics there for ya great dork ?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Faced between rugby league historians and you I know who I’m going with
Any "historian" that's told you that there was only 'one football game in England where you were allowed to pick up the ball' is a fraud that needs their tenure revoked.

Carrying the ball was the norm in both Shrovetide and academic football games (i.e. the predecessors of the codes of RU and Association Football), not the exception. Even the name football derives from games that are played on your feet, not games where you kick the ball with your feet.

So yeah, it's nonsense on the face of it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
so can what I said dummy

In 2008 — as part of Australian Rules football's 150th anniversary celebration — the AFL commissioned the historian, Gillian Hibbins, to write an essay on Australian football's origins in which she said the idea that Australian Rules football originated from Aboriginal games was "a seductive myth".

Another football historian, Dr Greg de Moore, has been unable to find any link between the Aboriginal games and the one codified in the late 1850s, in more than 10 years of research.

"There is an evidence gap … I've seen nothing in recent years to change my view," Dr de Moore said.

"I've found nothing that documented that he ( Wills) saw the game. He never made reference to it, and no one ever else made reference to it," de Moore said.

As to the possible Aboriginal origins of the game: "I wish it were true, I really wish it were true, but I can't find any evidence that supports that," he said.

Of the AFL's new position on the origins of the game, Mr Hay said, "That just simply is an attempt to rewrite history."

The AFL says the sharing of oral history by Aboriginal elders confirms the Indigenous connection to Australian Rules

oh hang on

That article directly contradicts your original claim that it'd been proven that Marn Grook was a 'myth' and that ' no such game ever existed', and reaffirms everything that I said on the subject.

In other words your own source backs my claims and proves yours wrong, and I don't understand the point you're trying to make in suggesting otherwise.

Last edited:
That article directly contradicts your original claim that it'd been proven that Marn Grook was a 'myth' and that ' no such game ever existed', and reaffirms everything that I said on the subject.

In other words your own source backs my claims and proves yours wrong, and I don't understand the point you're trying to make in suggesting otherwise.
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Sure it does great dork, all it proves is you're a tosser of monumental proportions ,
it mentions marn grook being nothng but a myth ( my position) ... 10 times !

but no one in here needed proof you're a wanker did they ? 😎

Last edited:
so can what I said dummy

oh hang on

Whilst I'm no AFL fan by any stretch, from what I know about Aboriginal culture, they do pass down their history orally. They do not typically write it down. So whilst I may not take the AFL's word on it at face value, you cannot outright discredit it on that basis of it being an oral history. It would though help if it was said which Aboriginal people's elders confirmed it.