What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

DragonBorn95

Juniors
If Shaun wane is available and interested he would be my first choice followed by Ryles, Hasler, Madge or Slater. Slater is the smoky, i reckon if we get Ryles he will be the storms next coach.. Very smart player who could be invaluable in sloans growth

SnowDragon

Juniors
Pretty hard to be sure from over here in Sweden.

BUT
- Flanagan is proven, developed a few players when he was AC, and has an inside understanding of everything at the dragons
- Ryles would be my pick of the young crowd, training at storm and roosters + most experienced of them. Problem for me is a rookie coach may have trouble managing a split board etc. if he comes in I’d hope he gets some assurances about control. Say only reporting to Webby.
-Hasler makes me nervous. He can coach for sure, but long term development? We would need some control over the cap etc.
- Dean young May be great, but could be divisive.
- Shaun Wane was my pick last time. Not sure now

Walpole

Juniors
I'd like a coach closer to 40 than 60, who has some sort of rapport with 20 something man-children, experience in a successful system, no connection to the Dragons, with their own thoughts, ideas and staff, knows that Craig Young and the like are leeches sucking the club dry and is strong enough to sack whoever needs sacking and will stand up to the board. Not too much to ask is it?

blacksafake

First Grade
If it’s an experience coach they sign then hopefully it’s Des or Flanno with both on a leash to certain extent.
Could also live with Morris or Hannay.
If a rookie then Ryles with someone like Neil Henry assisting.

since77

Juniors
1. Make Bellamy an offer he can’t refuse
2. Hasler on 2 years with tight control on salary cap management
3. Flanagan.
4. Dean Young - I actually think he will make a good coach……eventually.

In addition whoever comes in as coach has to also bring with them the best possible defence coach available. Very little improves until we start conceding a lot less points every game.

redVinme

Bench
If it’s an experience coach they sign then hopefully it’s Des or Flanno with both on a leash to certain extent.
Could also live with Morris or Hannay.
If a rookie then Ryles with someone like Neil Henry assisting.

Seen a few posters mention Morris and he seemed to do ok whilst he was HC. I'd just be concerned we'd be repeating the same mistake again.

Hook has Panthers in the 8, club decides he can't get them over the line and is moved on. We all know what happens next.

Morris had sharks in the 8, club decides he can't take them to a gf and they sign Fitzy. Sharks improve and get a coach that attracts good players.

Does the club really want another coach who was let go because they didn't feel he could take a team to that next level?

Just food for thought, what would I know from my loungeroom 😂

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Good point RedVinme, would hate to make that mistake again going for a coach with similar traits to Hook.

Whoever they get they need to put some clauses in regards to performance and possibly go the 2 years with an extension of another in the clubs favour however we have seen how that ends up regardless of performance lately.

The Matty Johns show on Fox last night stated that Ryles was the Dragons No. 1 choice for the Dragons. How true that is we will never know but the Storm will strike soon for Ryles as Slater on a podcast said he would not look at taking up Storm as he has the horses, media and Origin team which is keeping him busy and he is currently enjoying.

Apparently there is another guy named Bretnall that has been Bellamy's right hand man so surprised he is kept quiet and not in the frame for anyone especially the Storm.

Regardless whoever The Dragons get will be an improvement to what they have now. It will be a win/win as soon as it is announced and the quicker the better as the players will be on notice as well to perform and the new coach has time to plan for 2024.

I am really just hoping that this 6 week supposed deadline for Hook is just to see if he will see out the rest of the season or be sacked in 6 weeks.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
1. Make Bellamy an offer he can’t refuse
2. Hasler on 2 years with tight control on salary cap management
3. Flanagan.
4. Dean Young - I actually think he will make a good coach……eventually.

In addition whoever comes in as coach has to also bring with them the best possible defence coach available. Very little improves until we start conceding a lot less points every game.
… re 1…does he have a racehorse?

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
Good point RedVinme, would hate to make that mistake again going for a coach with similar traits to Hook.

Whoever they get they need to put some clauses in regards to performance and possibly go the 2 years with an extension of another in the clubs favour however we have seen how that ends up regardless of performance lately.

The Matty Johns show on Fox last night stated that Ryles was the Dragons No. 1 choice for the Dragons. How true that is we will never know but the Storm will strike soon for Ryles as Slater on a podcast said he would not look at taking up Storm as he has the horses, media and Origin team which is keeping him busy and he is currently enjoying.

Apparently there is another guy named Bretnall that has been Bellamy's right hand man so surprised he is kept quiet and not in the frame for anyone especially the Storm.

Regardless whoever The Dragons get will be an improvement to what they have now. It will be a win/win as soon as it is announced and the quicker the better as the players will be on notice as well to perform and the new coach has time to plan for 2024.

I am really just hoping that this 6 week supposed deadline for Hook is just to see if he will see out the rest of the season or be sacked in 6 weeks.
He doesn't have a 6 week deadline, it's just an opinion from Buzz

blacksafake

First Grade
Seen a few posters mention Morris and he seemed to do ok whilst he was HC. I'd just be concerned we'd be repeating the same mistake again.

Hook has Panthers in the 8, club decides he can't get them over the line and is moved on. We all know what happens next.

Morris had sharks in the 8, club decides he can't take them to a gf and they sign Fitzy. Sharks improve and get a coach that attracts good players.

Does the club really want another coach who was let go because they didn't feel he could take a team to that next level?

Just food for thought, what would I know from my loungeroom 😂
Understand your concerns but I thought it was more to do with some of the older players not really getting on with him?
He apparently was responsible for bringing the juniors through which is a main part of what we require.
Anyway it’s a moot point as I’m sure he’s nowhere near the candidates the club is looking for.

redVinme

Bench
Understand your concerns but I thought it was more to do with some of the older players not really getting on with him?
He apparently was responsible for bringing the juniors through which is a main part of what we require.
Anyway it’s a moot point as I’m sure he’s nowhere near the candidates the club is looking for.
Hadn't heard that but fair point if true. We need strong development and pathways. Hopefully a new coach will also have a say in who coaches the KOE team too who are getting thrashed with a nepotistic decision made there on coach.