What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 NRL Rule Changes / Interpretation

JokerEel

Coach

Link above for the rule changes and interpretations.

I know this will be an issue alot this year...

I saw Nathan Brown get pinged for blocking a defender by standing next to the ruck in the last tackle. He wasn't Infront of the play the ball and didn't seem to move forward but was pinged.

The Panthers use their blockers well on the last let's see how the refs go being consistent.

Another 1 I saw on Thursday night where the tackler grabs the leg in a tackle and lifts. This one will be inconsistent across the season as well and will piss alot of people off.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach

Another 1 I saw on Thursday night where the tackler grabs the leg in a tackle and lifts. This one will be inconsistent across the season as well and will piss alot of people off.
It’s just such a shame the officials and the game has to spend some much time and effort trying to fix this dog shit the coaches keep come up with.
This is what the coaches have been working on for the past 14 weeks.

Gronk

Staff member
I thought the failure to find 10m from a dropout, reaulting in a tap was odd. I mean, kick long if you can’t do it.

Gronk

Staff member

Link above for the rule changes and interpretations.

I know this will be an issue alot this year...

I saw Nathan Brown get pinged for blocking a defender by standing next to the ruck in the last tackle. He wasn't Infront of the play the ball and didn't seem to move forward but was pinged.

The Panthers use their blockers well on the last let's see how the refs go being consistent.

Your source is about a blue between Hadley and Albo. :eek:

Please post another one.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

‘Incentivise more contests for the ball’: NRL make major change to contested restarts in 2024​

The NRL have made a law change concerning contested restarts in a bid to encourage teams to take risks to regain possession and add to the unpredictability of the game in 2024.
Fox League

January 17, 2024 - 9:12PM

Grand final referee Adam Gee. NRL Pics
More From NRL
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/c...n/news-story/ca9c49ac39ad82f24f1173d8b26965e5
The NRL have made a law change concerning contested restarts in a bid to encourage teams to take risks to regain possession and add to the unpredictability of the game in 2024.
“The change is designed to incentivise more contests for the ball from set restarts,” the NRL said in a statement on Wednesday, announcing the move which the league believes will give teams “more incentive” to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs.
So what is the change?

Well, the NRL said that as of next season, if a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or half-way line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick.
“While relatively minor, this change will add to the unpredictability of the game,” Graham Annesley said.
The NRL will change the way set restarts are officiated in 2024.

The NRL will change the way set restarts are officiated in 2024.
“Teams will no longer risk conceding significant territory as well as a penalty for attempting to regain possession from restarts of play.
“We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs.
“This will strongly accompany the Commission’s direction to enhance the existing rules, leading to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game.”
The change has been approved by the Commission and was communicated today to the NRL Clubs and Coaches.
Originally published as ‘Incentivise more contests for the ball’: NRL make major change to contested restarts in 2024

King-Gutho94

Coach
Whats this new downtown rule Joel Caine was talking about on the Get em onside podcast.

He reckons Parramatta will be affected the most as it must relate to Moses being deep behind the play the ball and launching his 50-60m kicks. And going off some vision he had where Parramatta were one of the main targets in an NRL video.

If BA doesn't recondition the players we will be giving plenty of dumb penalties away

T-Boon

Coach
Obviously the restart rule change is good and a long time coming. It was always looney that it was a penalty in those circumstances.
I don’t even consider the other one a rule change. It’s just an adjustment to try to deal with one of the dark arts. If a kicking team player contests the ball but screws the timing up it should be an penalty.

T-Boon

Coach
If they want more contest for the ball I cannot understand why they keep not changing the rule about charge downs being a tackle count restart when the kicking team gets the ball back. I would say charge downs are up there with 40-20s and line breaks as the most exciting thing in the game that isn’t a try.

84 Baby

Referee
If they want more contest for the ball I cannot understand why they keep not changing the rule about charge downs being a tackle count restart when the kicking team gets the ball back. I would say charge downs are up there with 40-20s and line breaks as the most exciting thing in the game that isn’t a try.
Not your worst idea. Especially with the enforcement of getting rid of blockers