What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More proof that the NRL got it right

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I begrudgingly watched bits and pieces of the matildas world cup game last night.
Now I really don't like watching soccer at the best of times and I am a big supporter of female sport , done a fair bit of work with female RL across different levels.
But it was so bad, the standard for an international match of any sport. I was really disappointed yet it made me even prouder of the standard of female RL

Pneuma

First Grade
I begrudgingly watched bits and pieces of the matildas world cup game last night.
Now I really don't like watching soccer at the best of times and I am a big supporter of female sport , done a fair bit of work with female RL across different levels.
But it was so bad, the standard for an international match of any sport. I was really disappointed yet it made me even prouder of the standard of female RL
Our comp is bloody good and it’s growing nicely.

One takeaway from the FIFA women's WC is that, whatever some NRL fans think, international competition galvanizes sections of the Australian populace that club comps of any sport leave untouched. The whole event is perceived as prestigious regardless of objective standards on the pitch. Safe to say that most of the Aussies helping fill the stadia are not habitual attendees of women's A-League.

I was at the England v New Zealand women's RLWC semi in York. Crowd was over 7k, close to capacity. Got a sense that many were at a RL game for the first time. Atmosphere was discernibly different from the norm. More positive and enthusiastic, less petty and censorious.

The way the groups were composed meant that we had to overcome NZ otherwise we wouldn't play Oz in the tournament. Still can't understand why the organizers did this. England have never beaten the Kiwi Ferns. Upshot is that England have now played the Jillaroos at 13 a-side once since 2013.

We have an England Performance Squad. Only fixtures on the horizon are with France and Wales. The next RLWC is under a heavy cloud. No idea when we will next meet SH opposition. Games against Oz or NZ are currently less frequent than 20-25 years ago when players had to fund the tours themselves.

RL clearly doesn't enjoy the global footprint of Soccer. But we could have a thriving international women's RL scene with regular test series between Australia/New Zealand/England.

Pneuma

First Grade
One takeaway from the FIFA women's WC is that, whatever some NRL fans think, international competition galvanizes sections of the Australian populace that club comps of any sport leave untouched. The whole event is perceived as prestigious regardless of objective standards on the pitch. Safe to say that most of the Aussies helping fill the stadia are not habitual attendees of women's A-League.

I was at the England v New Zealand women's RLWC semi in York. Crowd was over 7k, close to capacity. Got a sense that many were at a RL game for the first time. Atmosphere was discernibly different from the norm. More positive and enthusiastic, less petty and censorious.

The way the groups were composed meant that we had to overcome NZ otherwise we wouldn't play Oz in the tournament. Still can't understand why the organizers did this. England have never beaten the Kiwi Ferns. Upshot is that England have now played the Jillaroos at 13 a-side once since 2013.

We have an England Performance Squad. Only fixtures on the horizon are with France and Wales. The next RLWC is under a heavy cloud. No idea when we will next meet SH opposition. Games against Oz or NZ are currently less frequent than 20-25 years ago when players had to fund the tours themselves.

RL clearly doesn't enjoy the global footprint of Soccer. But we could have a thriving international women's RL scene with regular test series between Australia/New Zealand/England.
Watched the titans Broncos second half last night (family matter interrupted the first). Takeaways were that the standard has increased again despite a number of new teams, there is a good mix of highly experienced, experienced, and fresh players in squads and, yes, the NRL is building this comp at the right pace.
Things the nrl got wrong this year include holding origin out of season for the women.
An international calendar has to be considered at least between Australia, NZ and England as well. Keep well mate.

Two rounds into NRLW 2023 and any dispassionate observer would conclude that this year's expansion is a substantial success.

What next? I believe 10 teams at this stage is optimum. Maintains standards and affordability. Major flaw in no imminent further enlargement is the absence of the Warriors. They need to be back in NRLW for the good of RL in NZ.

Who then for the twelfth franchise? There's a strong case for Melbourne.

Soccer in the USA took off faster as a game for women and girls. The NRL could likewise seek to rapidly grow female RL in an area where male RL has traditionally had a limited presence.

Consider somewhere like Castleford in West Yorkshire. Population about 45k. They produce an extraordinary number of RL players, male and female. Nothing special in the water supply. Just the whole town lives and breathes RL.

In absolute terms, there must be far more girls in a city the size of Melbourne suited to playing RL than in Castleford. Just a question of finding them young enough and having local systems and pathways to develop their game. With a relatively small investment, a Storm women's team could potentially comprise a majority of Victorians sooner than the men's.

ALX25

Bench
Bulldogs have put their hands up inclusion for '25 season.

Storm should make a great case as both their other feeder regions have been doing well. Hopefully the Sunshine Coast can get a side in the BMD Premiership next season and join the youthful Brisbane Tigers.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
There will be some competition for the new spots, I agree that NZ should be a given and I could give reasons for and against for nearly all the other NRL teams.. My guess it will be Melbourne or Penrith.

Storm should make a great case as both their other feeder regions have been doing well. Hopefully the Sunshine Coast can get a side in the BMD Premiership next season and join the youthful Brisbane Tigers.
What's the deal with Storm and Dolphins as regards Sunshine Coast as a feeder region?

The Brazilians at Noosa Pirates seem to have gone okay this year. If they remain in Oz, would be great to see them in a Falcons BMD team.

I saw Maria Graf and Franciny Amaral in the women's RLWC. Byanca Santa Rita was injured in a warm-up game against the French. Of the three, I reckon Franciny is the one most likely to step up.

An international calendar has to be considered at least between Australia, NZ and England as well.
Time will tell how much of the international calendar announced today will prove to be wishful thinking.

The IRL board say the 2026 RLWC will take place in the Southern Hemisphere with men's, women's and wheelchair. I suspect SH organizers are only keen to host the men's. NRL might have to step in if they want to save the women's and wheelchair.

The proposal is for another 8-team women's RLWC. Last time the teams were England, Australia, New Zealand, PNG, France, Cook Islands, Canada, Brazil.

If the 2026 event goes ahead in the SH, we could be looking at England, Australia, New Zealand, PNG, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji. So, no France, Canada, or Brazil.

In the NH last year, we held a 6-team Euro comp. Two groups. Ireland, Wales and Italy in one. Greece, Turkey and Serbia in the other. Was supposed to serve as a WC qualifying vehicle. That was when the tournament was due to be hosted by the French and include 16 teams. Never seemed remotely realistic.

The most satisfying part of the IRL announcement, which should be certain to happen, is the England women's tour in 2025.

GB Lionesses last toured down under in 2002. We lost a tight series 2-1. The first time we toured, in 1996, we won the series 2-1 with a victory in the decider at Redfern Oval. An awful lot has changed since then.

Llangennech

Juniors
Time will tell how much of the international calendar announced today will prove to be wishful thinking.

The IRL board say the 2026 RLWC will take place in the Southern Hemisphere with men's, women's and wheelchair. I suspect SH organizers are only keen to host the men's. NRL might have to step in if they want to save the women's and wheelchair.

The proposal is for another 8-team women's RLWC. Last time the teams were England, Australia, New Zealand, PNG, France, Cook Islands, Canada, Brazil.

If the 2026 event goes ahead in the SH, we could be looking at England, Australia, New Zealand, PNG, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji. So, no France, Canada, or Brazil.

In the NH last year, we held a 6-team Euro comp. Two groups. Ireland, Wales and Italy in one. Greece, Turkey and Serbia in the other. Was supposed to serve as a WC qualifying vehicle. That was when the tournament was due to be hosted by the French and include 16 teams. Never seemed remotely realistic.

The most satisfying part of the IRL announcement, which should be certain to happen, is the England women's tour in 2025.

GB Lionesses last toured down under in 2002. We lost a tight series 2-1. The first time we toured, in 1996, we won the series 2-1 with a victory in the decider at Redfern Oval. An awful lot has changed since then.
England not GB.

Latest posts