What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Wb1234

Referee
Ah remember when people on here said this was a pipe dream then they said they wouldn’t use allegiant stadium

now they are sooking about the field dimensions

the potential for this to actually crack the American market over the next decade even in a small way could be massive for the game

but no there are people here who are afraid to showcase our wonderful sport

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
How does it compare to the soccer fields we see used in England?

Some of those have dodgy measurements
Pretty close but a little shorter:
The FIFA standard is 105x68M though there’s about 5m wiggle room lengthwise:
“For international matches the field dimensions are more tightly constrained; the goal lines are between 64 and 75 metres (70 and 82 yards)wide and the touchlines are between 100 and 110 m (110 and 120 yd) long. The majority of top-level professional football pitches, including those belonging to teams in the English Premier League, measure 112 to 115 yd (102.4 to 105.2 m) long and 70 to 75 yd (64.0 to 68.6 m)wide.”

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
And narrow it to, (they will need some room on the sidelines).

Unfortunately with this constraint, I don't think the games will be much of a spectacle.
The size I quoted is apparently the dimensions used for soccer there so presumably there’s some room on the sidelines. Length is the main issue.

Ah remember when people on here said this was a pipe dream then they said they wouldn’t use allegiant stadium

now they are sooking about the field dimensions

the potential for this to actually crack the American market over the next decade even in a small way could be massive for the game

but no there are people here who are afraid to showcase our wonderful sport
I honestly don’t get the negativity on here. Cautious, I get but I don’t genuinely get why anyone has an issue with an endeavour that has much to gain and very little to lose. Nothing ventured - nothing gained as they say.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The AFL live with the SCG being smaller than they’re used to. It never bothered them and nor should the Vegas pitch bother us for a couple of games a year.
It’s a pretty marginal size difference anyway by the look of it. It’s not like they’ll be playing on an actual NFL sized pitch which WOULD be a problem as it’s significantly narrower at 49m.
they might have to round off the corners of the in-goals, which will make almost zero difference to the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I honestly don’t get the negativity on here. Cautious, I get but I don’t genuinely get why anyone has an issue with an endeavour that has much to gain and very little to lose. Nothing ventured - nothing gained as they say.
Because it’s costing many millions, taking time energy and resources of the admin of the game which could be spent on sorting out key issues here and has very little chance of any long term success. Sure it looks good and has got The media excited but I’d be much more excited about a big announcement about how the nrl is going to replace the missing $45mill from grassroots and grow the games participation. But that isnt as sexy or exciting and doesn’t get Vlandys in the paper does it?

Wb1234

Referee
Either burnt out from super league and afraid

or hate pvl and don’t want to see anything he tries succeed cause they are childish

nobody is saying we’re any chance of being a major sport but a small nieche would be worth hundreds of millions for the game

if this venture succeeds then it will lead to a survey deal and massive exposure for rugby league

Because it’s costing many millions, taking time energy and resources of the admin of the game which could be spent on sorting out key issues here and has very little chance of any long term success. Sure it looks good and has got The media excited but I’d be much more excited about a big announcement about how the nrl is going to replace the missing $45mill from grassroots and grow the games participation. But that isnt as sexy or exciting and doesn’t get Vlandys in the paper does it?
Sexy brings eyeballs. There’s much to gain imo

Canard

Immortal
The actual pitch at Allegiant is 110x75 yards, which is approximately 100x68m.

so width wise it can accommodate an RL pitch, but it’ll need to be somewhat shortened.
Just to clarify, is this the width of the Vegas NFL pitch sideline to sideline? Or from fence to fence?

snickers007

Juniors
What has happened in the past is 30 and 40m line have been 9m apart, That gives an extra 2m each side to play with.

Which could be a benefit to see some last tackle plays over a kick anyway

Which is absolutely amateurish. This is the NRL - not some pub comp out west.

Canard

Immortal
I’m not 100% sure but I saw it quoted as the pitch size for soccer so I’d assume sideline to sideline in soccer mode.
This is a photo from the Allegiant Stadium website, IF NFL fields are 48m wide, as per this source, then I can't see where the extra 20m is going to be made up.

Unless as @SpaceMonkey suggested the bottom bowl moves to allow for a wider field.

Screenshot_20230821_111534_Chrome~2.jpg

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The reality is that not a lot of effort was put into examining how the size of the field is going to impact the product. A greatly reduced field size plus first game of the season rustiness is likely to produce a low scoring plodfest - not the excitement fest we know is league at its best and what we want to spruik.

Would not surprise that Darth Vlad did something radical like reducing player numbers to 12 or 11 for these games

Munky

Coach
The reality is that not a lot of effort was put into examining how the size of the field is going to impact the product. A greatly reduced field size plus first game of the season rustiness is likely to produce a low scoring plodfest - not the excitement fest we know is league at its best and what we want to spruik.

Would not surprise that Darth Vlad did something radical like reducing player numbers to 12 or 11 for these games

NRL headquarters