What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Vee

First Grade

How Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman and a Rabbitohs’ billionaire can kickstart league in America
Dean Ritchie
August 14, 2023 - 6:00AM

The NRL will be counting on its glamorous celebrity stakeholders and league-loving Australians to help take the game to America next February.

In a glamorous publicity blitz, the NRL will ask Hollywood stars Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman to promote February’s historic double-header in Las Vegas by appearing on US breakfast programs, news bulletins, late-night talk shows, television advertisement and social media platforms.

And this masthead can also reveal tech billionaire, South Sydney co-owner Mike Cannon-Brookes, has revealed a desire to help the American experiment through his part ownership of NBA franchise, Utah Jazz. The NRL has made contact with Crowe, South Sydney’s co-owner, and Jackman, a diehard Manly fan, through their clubs ahead of next season’s round zero American weekend featuring the Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles, Broncos and Sydney Roosters.

Crowe and Jackman also want to bring their own creative promotional ideas to the NRL.

While the exact contribution of Crowe and Jackman is to be determined, the pair will essentially attempt to complete a mass media campaign.

“I haven’t had any direct contact with the NRL but I have been made aware of the event,” Crowe said.

Crowe and Jackman can add plenty of starpower to the NRL’s US contingent.

“Any assistance I could give would be based on what interest in the games the NRL can generate within America. I haven’t been consulted or involved in creating the plan to this point.”

The Sea Eagles and Roosters are the two home sides for a week-long event which will include other Australian events and activities.
There is a suggestion Manly will play Souths in Vegas, pitting Crowe’s team against Jackman’s side in a match-up which would be a strong promotion tool in America.

“It could be they (Crowe and Jackman) are interviewed on Fox Sports, it could be social media, it could be the creation of adverts, marketing and promotion in all forms, live appearances and helping with creativity about how we can actually market in America,” said NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo.

Crowe has managed to attract plenty of stars to South Sydney’s fanbase including Taika Waititi, Chris Hemsworth, Sabrina Elba, Elsa Pataky and Isla Fisher.

“It is about using their following and popularity in the States to point people toward, effectively, Australia week during the last week of February and to get people excited about this whole week of activities and the games as well. There could be appearances on the late night talk shows, news and their equivalent to the Today morning show on the American networks. They have a keen interest in the NRL and their clubs so it’s about using that to promote the whole week’s events and not just the games.

THE RUSSELL AND HUGH SHOW​

* US breakfast programs
* News bulletins
* Late-night talk shows
* Television advertisements
* Social media platforms

“We will work with them on how they want to bring this to life and their creativity as well. They want a creative say as opposed to us telling them what to do.”

Manly’s major sponsor, PointsBet, is US-based and has used former NBA superstar Shaquille O’Neal in its previous Australian television campaigns.

Crowe (2.9 million followers) and Jackson (14.9 million) have a combined total of 17.8 million followers on Twitter alone. The Utah Jazz have a further 1.2 million Twitter followers.

The most popular US late-night hosts which may be targeted include Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert.

Cannon-Brookes, said to be worth $19.5 billion in Australian dollars, may use his influence at Utah to help promote the two NRL matches. Souths’ third owner, James Packer, hasn’t yet expressed a desire to be involved.

Crowe wants to attend the game but has several projects on hold due to Hollywood’s actors’ and writers’ strike. His plans may change late depending on when the action is resolved.

The two games will be played at Las Vegas’ Allegiant Stadium, which accommodates around 65,000 fans.

Last edited:

Dean Ritchie

The NRL will be counting on its glamorous celebrity stakeholders and league-loving Australians to help take the game to America next February.

In a glamorous publicity blitz, the NRL will ask Hollywood stars Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman to promote February’s historic double-header in Las Vegas by appearing on US breakfast programs, news bulletins, late-night talk shows, television advertisement and social media platforms.

And this masthead can also reveal tech billionaire, South Sydney co-owner Mike Cannon-Brookes, has revealed a desire to help the American experiment through his part ownership of NBA franchise, Utah Jazz. The NRL has made contact with Crowe, South Sydney’s co-owner, and Jackman, a diehard Manly fan, through their clubs ahead of next season’s round zero American weekend featuring the Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles, Broncos and Sydney Roosters.

Crowe and Jackman also want to bring their own creative promotional ideas to the NRL.

While the exact contribution of Crowe and Jackman is to be determined, the pair will essentially attempt to complete a mass media campaign.

“I haven’t had any direct contact with the NRL but I have been made aware of the event,” Crowe said.

“Any assistance I could give would be based on what interest in the games the NRL can generate within America. I haven’t been consulted or involved in creating the plan to this point.”

The Sea Eagles and Roosters are the two home sides for a week-long event which will include other Australian events and activities.
There is a suggestion Manly will play Souths in Vegas, pitting Crowe’s team against Jackman’s side in a match-up which would be a strong promotion tool in America.

“It could be they (Crowe and Jackman) are interviewed on Fox Sports, it could be social media, it could be the creation of adverts, marketing and promotion in all forms, live appearances and helping with creativity about how we can actually market in America,” said NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo.

Crowe has managed to attract plenty of stars to South Sydney’s fanbase including Taika Waititi, Chris Hemsworth, Sabrina Elba, Elsa Pataky and Isla Fisher.

“It is about using their following and popularity in the States to point people toward, effectively, Australia week during the last week of February and to get people excited about this whole week of activities and the games as well. There could be appearances on the late night talk shows, news and their equivalent to the Today morning show on the American networks. They have a keen interest in the NRL and their clubs so it’s about using that to promote the whole week’s events and not just the games.

* US breakfast programs
* News bulletins
* Late-night talk shows
* Social media platforms

“We will work with them on how they want to bring this to life and their creativity as well. They want a creative say as opposed to us telling them what to do.”

Manly’s major sponsor, PointsBet, is US-based and has used former NBA superstar Shaquille O’Neal in its previous Australian television campaigns.

Crowe (2.9 million followers) and Jackson (14.9 million) have a combined total of 17.8 million followers on Twitter alone. The Utah Jazz have a further 1.2 million Twitter followers.

The most popular US late-night hosts which may be targeted include Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert.

Cannon-Brookes, said to be worth $19.5 billion in Australian dollars, may use his influence at Utah to help promote the two NRL matches. Souths’ third owner, James Packer, hasn’t yet expressed a desire to be involved.

Crowe wants to attend the game but has several projects on hold due to Hollywood’s actors’ and writers’ strike. His plans may change late depending on when the action is resolved.

The two games will be played at Las Vegas’ Allegiant Stadium, which accommodates around 65,000 fans.
Didn’t PR say they’d never get Allegiant Stadium? I could be wrong, I mean, that doesn’t sound like PR, does it?

Canard

Immortal

Dean Ritchie

* US breakfast programs
* News bulletins
* Late-night talk shows
* Social media platforms

Anyone find it odd that the NRL haven't even spoken to Crowe, and he may not even be at the game?

T-Boon

Coach
Crowe is a B-list actor now. Hugh Jackman would be C-list. Nobody listens to them.
Margot Robbie would be the A-lister. Where is she from? Who does she support?

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Crowe is a B-list actor now. Hugh Jackman would be C-list. Nobody listens to them.
Maggot Robbie would be the A-lister. Where is she from? Who does she support?

Queensland. Titans fan according to Wikipedia.

edabomb

First Grade
I think the Aussie media may be slightly overestimating Rusty's sway in the US market these days. Last time I saw him in something he was in a fat suit driving around for 90 minutes while acting road ragey with a bunch of co-stars I've never seen before or since.

Chimp

Bench
I can see the marketing ploy now - Get him at the game, gladiator music playing, get him to do the old ‘thumb down’ thing on the big screen just before kick-off… get the crowd involved by selling those big foam thumb/finger things like they used to have in the WWF wrestling heyday, so they can all join in the gladiator thumb down - like the Viking clap, but better, and probably a higher teeth to mouth ratio, and a more normal fingers to hand ratio hahaha

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
I hope they also partner with the USARL to trump up some interest in the sporting community.

İmagine offering 8 short term trial opportunities in Australia (1 male / 1 female) per club.

Ensure athletes are high level with requirements of College level sport, or international representation.

İt would grab the Rugby Union communities attention, the quirkiness of trialling in Australia may grab some strong attention in the African American and US base Islander community. İt would only cost a day or two or trials, some flights and accommodation for a month or so.

Fox could follow the NRL hopefuls.

Haha,
Tele ‘Crowe to spearhead nrl push in usa’
Crow, ‘eh? No one’s rang me’
It did say at the start "the NRL will ask", but then went on like it's a done deal. That's the Tele way.
As for Rusty, his quotes:

Really mean, "they haven't reached an agreement with my agent about my fee yet"

Canard

Immortal
It's also odd that Dean Ritchie thinks Late Night TV talk shows still are a big thing in 2023.

Fallon, Kimmel etc have far less viewers then most popular YouTubers and Streaming these days. FTA is dead.

Let's hope this is just some lazy Tele article, and not a real promotion strategy. This seems more and more like a free junket for Journalists and hangers on.

As for "the rich guy that owns the Jazz, might also help", laughable.

wittyfan

Referee
I think the Aussie media may be slightly overestimating Rusty's sway in the US market these days. Last time I saw him in something he was in a fat suit driving around for 90 minutes while acting road ragey with a bunch of co-stars I've never seen before or since.
Lol! Unhinged was laughably bad.

Vee

First Grade

NRL will use Las Vegas fixture to scout US athletes for potential code switch​

The NRL has revealed a key reason behind playing next year’s historic Las Vegas double-header will be an attempt to attract American footballers to make a shock switch.

Dean Ritchie
August 15, 2023 - 6:00AM

Rugby league is now targeting Uncle Sam.

The NRL has revealed a key reason behind playing next year’s historic Las Vegas double-header will be an attempt to attract American footballers to make a shock switch to Australian rugby league.

Rugby league is now pinching America’s famous war slogan and directing it back at US athletes: We Want You.
Manly, Souths, Sydney Roosters and Brisbane will play in much-hyped games in Nevada in late February.

“There is an opportunity for us to think about how potential Americans might actually have a pathway to play rugby league in Australia. It’s not just about acquiring fans,” said NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo. “This is an opportunity for us to showcase our sport to potential athletes from a pathway perspective back into the NRL. We are going to have our clubs over there."

“What an opportunity for those athletes that are thinking about a professional career having an alternative pathway. There are lots of avenues and opportunities here. This is a long-term strategy for how we might be able to take what we think is an unbelievably entertaining and engaging sport to a very large and passionate sports-made population in America.”

AMERICAN TRAILBLAZERS
Several Americans have attempted professional rugby league over the years while a number of NRL players have pursued the NFL.

Manfred Moore was the better known NFL star to play first grade rugby league in Australia. A running back with the San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay and Oakland Raiders, Moore played four first grade games for Newtown in 1977, scoring a try on debut against Wests at Henson Park. He is the only player to score an NFL touchdown and NRL try. He debuted for the Jets just 98 days after competing for Oakland in the 1977 Super Bowl. Moore once famously threw a gridiron ball over the King George V Memorial Grandstand at Henson Park. Injuries cut short his rugby league career after playing four first grade games and he returned home to join the Minnesota Vikings.

There was an ill-fated attempt by an American to play NRL when Philadelphia roster wide receiver Greg Smith played one game for Newcastle in 1999. He played poorly and essentially vanished from rugby league.

MAKING THE JUMP TO LEAGUE
Paul Sironen secured an American football scholarship at the University of Hawaii as a defensive tackle in the early 1980s before returning home to carve out an imposing NRL career with the Balmain Tigers, NSW and Australia.

Asked about US players transitioning to rugby league, Sironen said, “They are remarkable athletes in America - big, strong, fast and powerful. You’d need 18 months to two years of (rugby league) education. You’d probably be looking at blokes coming out of college, aged around 21, 22."

“In all the physical testing, they would stack up every day of the week, I have no doubt whatsoever. It would more be outside backs that could have a chance of making the conversion a lot quicker than a forward. Given the number of guys who come out of the college system over there, you’d think there might be a couple of blokes who might have a chance."

“But it’s those nuisances in rugby league that you learn by playing the game since you’re a kid, little things you need to grow up with, they could be the difference; catch, pass, the subtle skills you pick up over the years – moving in defence, not getting caught on the ground. I have no doubt they would excel at lower levels.”

US college player Alvin E Kirkland toured Australia and New Zealand with the 1953 American All Stars. He returned to Australia in 1956 and played 18 games for the Parramatta Eels, scoring four tries.

AUSSIES IN THE NFL
NRL players Jarryd Hayne and Valentine Holmes have transferred to the NFL. Hayne played six games for the 49ers in 2015 with Holmes contested four pre-season matches for the New York Jets in 2019.

While he didn’t play first grade rugby league, South Sydney junior Jordan Mailata has become an NFL success with Philadelphia and was part of an Eagles side which played in this year’s Super Bowl.

Former champion Easts centre Mark Harris knocked back a spot on the 1973 Kangaroo tour to trial with the Philadelphia Eagles.After failing to secure a deal, Harris joined Canada’s Montreal Alouettes, playing seven games.

NRL-NFL CROSSOVER HISTORY​

NFL to NRL
* Manfred Moore was a running back with the San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay and Oakland Raiders who played four first grade games for Newtown in 1977.
* Greg Smith was a Philadelphia roster wide receiver who played one game for Newcastle in 1999.
* US college player Alvin E Kirkland played 18 games for Parramatta in 1956.
NRL to NFL
* Paul Sironen secured an American football scholarship at the University of Hawaii as a defensive tackle in the early 1980s before becoming a Balmain, NSW and Australian legend.
* Jarryd Hayne played six games for San Francisco 49ers in 2015 before returning home to play for Gold Coast and then rejoining Parramatta.
* Val Holmes contested four preseason matches for the New York Jets in 2019 before signing with North Queensland Cowboys.
* South Sydney junior Jordan Mailata was part of the Philadelphia Eagles’ Super Bowl team this year.
* Former Easts centre Mark Harris trialled with the Philadelphia Eagles before signing with Canada’s Montreal Alouettes.

Steel Saints

Juniors
It's also odd that Dean Ritchie thinks Late Night TV talk shows still are a big thing in 2023.

Fallon, Kimmel etc have far less viewers then most popular YouTubers and Streaming these days. FTA is dead.

Let's hope this is just some lazy Tele article, and not a real promotion strategy. This seems more and more like a free junket for Journalists and hangers on.

As for "the rich guy that owns the Jazz, might also help", laughable.

Appearing on a late night talk show might have been a good idea 15 or 20 years ago where Letterman, Leno and O'Brien were still there. Not sure if Colbert, Kimmel and Fallon have a similar sway of influence nowadays.

Maybe Jackman and Crowe should go on the Joe Rogan Experience instead.