What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT Sharpe & Badger to officiate NRL

Quicksilver

Bench
I think it’s offensive to give them these token games that mean nothing. If it’s development then I’m sorry but 2 games out of 192 or whatever it is can be described as pissing into the wind.

Isn't this the ideal (and probably usual?) Way to introduce a new ref?

Quicksilver

Bench
Not offended.

Stating facts and asking the question.

Highly doubt they'd keep pace aerobically on the quicker games.

Or be anywhere near the faster guys in the competition caught on the break to be anywhere near the position required to adjudicate.

Am I wrong or is that a fair question to ask?

If you can't ref the entire spectrum of games then you shouldn't get the call up. IMO.

How many refs can "keep up" with the speed of the fastest players in the game? I can't actually imagine that it would be a huge difference given the relatively small distance they'd usually be covering. If you're talking about fitness then I can't see why any fit woman couldn't keep up with the aerobic requirements. It's not that hard if you're not tackling.

How many refs can "keep up" with the speed of the fastest players in the game? I can't actually imagine that it would be a huge difference given the relatively small distance they'd usually be covering. If you're talking about fitness then I can't see why any fit woman couldn't keep up with the aerobic requirements. It's not that hard if you're not tackling.
They'd be run off their feet.

Let's give them the penrith vs broncos gf this year then. Likely to be a very fast game that one.

Love or hate some of the male referees as we do.

Aerobically very fit and cover a lot of ground.

I guess that's why males run their own times in a marathons and long distance races as do females.

Athletic performance and output completely different.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Isn't this the ideal (and probably usual?) Way to introduce a new ref?
Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t they already done first grade matches? Additionally how does it help them develop if they are about to go into off-season. They aren’t getting any younger. They can either do it from round 1 or not.

Not offended.

Stating facts and asking the question.

Highly doubt they'd keep pace aerobically on the quicker games.

Or be anywhere near the faster guys in the competition caught on the break to be anywhere near the position required to adjudicate.

Am I wrong or is that a fair question to ask?

If you can't ref the entire spectrum of games then you shouldn't get the call up. IMO.
A fair question indeed

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t they already done first grade matches? Additionally how does it help them develop if they are about to go into off-season. They aren’t getting any younger. They can either do it from round 1 or not.
It's like they would try a rule change last round when teams can't make finals.
This and ref business is for trials.
Ozzi I agree they are being handed a first grade game, how would a young male ref feel if he has been going better in lowers and he hasn't been picked.
He can't say anything just has to accept it.

I would love if one of the players said I thought playing wouldn't get nagged now I do in the field.
I actually think Manly vs Tigers should have been a rainbow ref just for the eagles

It's just another reason why fans keeping shaking there heads.
Me best referees get the games.
It's all this inclusive this inclusive that, it drives everyone mad.
Should be best person for the job, is that not fair.
Can I just have that, best get the job.
It's like a club saying we have to sign a kid with blue hair, or a baldy or whatever, so we have at least one of each

SharkShocked

Bench
The problem with that is you then get the likes of Gus and Joey mouthing off at every opportunity about how pedantic the refs are, and that they should just get out of the way and let the players play.

Then eventually the refs buckle and we’re back to square one.
And making certain rules black and white is disgraceful.

Take for instance the black and white ruling on a player making a tackle deemed to be playing at the ball.

So the defender correctly makes a good read in defence outside in, races up and jams the ball receiver. Bloke catching the ball shits his pants and tries to offload the ball in the one motion 9/10 shovelling it in a forward pass motion. Straight out of the hands forward.

Due to the short distance the ball is travelling from said panic pass you’ll never ever get a forward pass call.

But because the bloke gets crunched the second it occurs and it contacts the arms of the defender it’s a 6 again set.

Happens so often and rewards poor play.

Referees could tell when a player was making a genuine attempt to hang an arm out and play at the ball or make the tackle. They hone those skills in over years coming through the grades and watching the play.

But let’s keep making them robots.

I think only under the two ref system.

Not on their own.

Seen Badger do a NSW Cup game.

She screeched all game, blew the pea out of the whistle and was heavily influenced by the crowd.

If that’s what you want during a football game then you‘re a weird cat.

Belinda Sharpe couldn’t even keep up running the line as a touchie.

I bet I know what Nicho thinks of her getting a gig as a ref.

I think only under the two ref system.

Not on their own.

Seen Badger do a NSW Cup game.

She screeched all game, blew the pea out of the whistle and was heavily influenced by the crowd.

If that’s what you want during a football game then you‘re a weird cat.

Belinda Sharpe couldn’t even keep up running the line as a touchie.

I bet I know what Nicho thinks of her getting a gig as a ref.
Badger has the Dogs, that will help them, won't have to get back 10.

Titans wont like it at all

Quicksilver

Bench
They'd be run off their feet.

Let's give them the penrith vs broncos gf this year then. Likely to be a very fast game that one.

Love or hate some of the male referees as we do.

Aerobically very fit and cover a lot of ground.

I guess that's why males run their own times in a marathons and long distance races as do females.

Athletic performance and output completely different.

A game of semi-good female touch football would still move quicker.

Female ultra marathon runners do quite well against men actually.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I think it’s offensive to give them these token games that mean nothing. If it’s development then I’m sorry but 2 games out of 192 or whatever it is can be described as pissing into the wind.
So how do you blood a new referee regardless of genitals?

Meaningless games seems the platform to me.

How does one blood a referee with a penis?

Ozzi_78

First Grade
So how do you blood a new referee regardless of genitals?

Meaningless games seems the platform to me.

How does one blood a referee with a penis?
This way but at the start of the season. What first grade games do the girls get to ref next week? It’s a token effort “giving them a go”.

A game of semi-good female touch football would still move quicker.

Female ultra marathon runners do quite well against men actually.
It's a closed debate.
In all levels of running men out strip women.
Average run times and fastest records, none are held by women over men.

At high performance output women don't compete against men. It's called genetics.

Lets start round 1 with Casey in the top flight of referees. All 27 rounds and finals, origin, and any international duties at the end of the season if required. Any games, no bars held.

If she can't handle that load, what's the point of giving pissy nothing games at the end of the year when those sides are on mad Monday in their head and no one gaf?

It's tokenism. Look at us look how great we are.

Women are represented right across the game, well included. Grass roots mums are all over the joint helping local sides as well as through the higher levels of grade footy.

Why do we need to play the card woman can do what men can do when genetics says they can't?

I go back to an earlier point, why do the women get an all female footy show when the blokes get ripped for lack of diversity?

Seems a bit hypocritical right? Fair and valid statements and nothing to do with being sexist or misogynistic for the outrage brigade.

Chimp

Bench
It's a closed debate.

At high performance output women don't compete against men. It's called genetics.

Lets start round 1 with Casey in the top flight of referees. All 27 rounds and finals, origin, and any international duties at the end of the season if required. Any games, no bars held.

If she can't handle that load, what's the point of giving pissy nothing games at the end of the year when those sides are on mad Monday in their head and no one gaf?

Women are represented right across the game, well included. Grass roots mums are all over the joint helping local sides as well as through the higher levels of grade footy.

Why do we need to play the card woman can do what men can do when genetics says they can't?

I go back to an earlier point, why do the women get an all female footy show when the blokes get ripped for lack of diversity?

Seems a bit hypocritical right? Fair and valid statements and nothing to do with being sexist or misogynistic for the outrage brigade.
I get the point you’re making, and whilst I agree refs in the NRL need to be fit and relatively quick, they don’t need to be ultra marathon fit, and they don’t need to be matching the players over 100m (they usually have at least a 10m start on them), so I don’t see their fitness or speed really being an issue.
All that being said, I do agree, giving them 2 pointless games in the last round does suggest tokenism. They aren’t suddenly ready this week - if they’re ready, they should have been introduced earlier, or at least given one of the half interesting games (eg Sharks/Raiders). As it is, they’ve given them dead rubbers, which would suggest they don’t trust them. I also accept it is a good time to introduce new refs, but suspect tokenism is happening here.

Quicksilver

Bench
It's a closed debate.

I don't see how any of that is relevant if the individual can keep up with the requirements of the job.

We're not looking for the fastest person in the world. We're looking for someone who can keep up with the requirements of the game so that they can primarily do the duty of officiating. That's the only relevant question and it comes down to the ability of the individual, not sex.

Latest posts