What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volkman & Allan gone

Parko1310

Juniors
Can someone explain how the dragons do due diligence before he arrives at the club. Lots of speculation about who knew what when but whichever way you look at it, his manager and the warriors don't come out smelling of šŸŒ¹
Exactly this. I think the main blame needs to be pointed at Volkman's management, but the Warriors certainly aren't free of blame. Cameron George trying to shift the blame onto the Dragons by stating we should've done our due diligence. We did do our due diligence.. hence why the signing didn't go through Cameron. We can't perform a medical assessment on him before he even gets to the club. What an absolute fool and he makes his own club look more guilty by trying to shift the blame in that way. Ultimately, the Dragons should not have allowed him to train. But the due diligence on the signing was done. His contract lodgement was pending medical.. which he failed. The fact that he was not in a fit state to pass a medical assessment is not on the Dragons, and not necessarily on the Warriors either. Himself and his management should have been smarter than to sign a deed of release before having an official contract at the Dragons. Especially knowing how sore the shoulder was to the point where Ronald couldn't pass a ball. I mean come on, it's plain stupid to leave your client without an official contract given this was the case.

St Tangles

Bench
Exactly this. I think the main blame needs to be pointed at Volkman's management, but the Warriors certainly aren't free of blame. Cameron George trying to shift the blame onto the Dragons by stating we should've done our due diligence. We did do our due diligence.. hence why the signing didn't go through Cameron. We can't perform a medical assessment on him before he even gets to the club. What an absolute fool and he makes his own club look more guilty by trying to shift the blame in that way. Ultimately, the Dragons should not have allowed him to train. But the due diligence on the signing was done. His contract lodgement was pending medical.. which he failed. The fact that he was not in a fit state to pass a medical assessment is not on the Dragons, and not necessarily on the Warriors either. Himself and his management should have been smarter than to sign a deed of release before having an official contract at the Dragons. Especially knowing how sore the shoulder was to the point where Ronald couldn't pass a ball. I mean come on, it's plain stupid to leave your client without an official contract given this was the case.
Only mistake we made was announcing we had signed him before we completed all testing

Yeah a rehash of your Radio show with a bit of Webbyism.

ā€œCorey getting back asapā€ said Webb.

It was put to Flanno on the radio that acl is 9 months, but Flanno said ā€œnext season because he needs a full pre season under his beltā€

They are both consistent I guess, but once again it shows the value of the old direct interview which isnā€™t scripted for pr.

And when we say pr itā€™s about what the club thinks is in its interests.

Gets so vanilla after awhile. All the clubs engage in it.

BLM01

First Grade

I canā€™t believe that the Warriors didnā€™t pick up on his injury 12th Dec in the training injury at the warriors

This is very very fishy
I still want to know why the Warriors let go reportedly (not MO) the best prop in the world so easily? Smells of cap trouble and when you look at their 24 roster and resignings this year and 2025 new deals hmmmmā€¦

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I still want to know why the Warriors let go reportedly (not MO) the best prop in the world so easily? Smells of cap trouble and when you look at their 24 roster and resignings this year and 2025 new deals hmmmmā€¦
If weā€˜d been that desparate weā€™d have let him go immediately. AFB wanted an immediate release with two years left on his contract, the club met him halfway.

slippery5

Juniors
This was the key.. Volkman already had small amounts of NRL + International experience, plus a few years at cup level but still in his early 20's.... and was considered far too good to be stuck in reserve grade.. he is not some roll of the dice as some think.. he was a real chance at a longterm NRL halfback.. but after 2 shoulder surgeries.. I dunno if he comes back from that?

I suspect Volkman wanted that opportunity desperately also.. and probably wasn't honest with all parties (including his manager) around the level of pain he was in... that said he clearly had no idea of the severity, hence the poor decision.

For our club... there are other recruitment options at reserve grade level (which we will pick up soon) who probably give us the depth we are desperate for... but doesnt give us a longterm 1st grader.. and that really hurts.. because if we could have gotten someone with real promise, then we had a possible plan for 2025 (or 2026) when Hunt goes.. right now none of our own juniors are even on the radar.. and we missed all our marquee targets.
How many shoulder injuries did Benji have?? I recall seeing him in tears in the dressing room after another set back thinking his career was over..

slippery5

Juniors
To me the Volkman situation appears as though the Warrior's knew his injury meant he would struggle to get on the field and add to that he was down the pecking order so with the Dragon's wanting to sign him, the Warrior's saw it as an opportunity to get him off their cap by paying a good chunk but not all his money of the remaining 2 years of his contract and also free up a roster position ( rather than staying on books and paying full amount). The Dragon's always said the contract is subject to a medical. The Dragon's let him train to see how he was, put on the yellow bib to warn everyone to not go hard on him, our medical staff realised he was struggling got the x-rays done and found straight away the damage was more than either the Warrior's or the player were letting on so contract did not proceed.

The player would also likely have known the level of discomfort he was in and to still tell the Dragon's coaching staff he was good to train at a restricted level should put the onus on him rather than the Dragon's who are trying to see if his shoulder can stand up to the rigours of the game and whether they should go through with his signing.

Let's say the Dragon's had not signed anything, bought him in to give him a medical and found the dodgy shoulder while doing some drills. Are we liable? Given we always said the contract is subject to a medical, can't see the Dragon's are responsible.

The situation could get messy and just hope the Dragon's don't get shafted.
Isn't it common practice to do a 7day (or so) trial before being offered employment. just to see if you are as qualified as your resume says.
Do people want as to sign & then find out we are stuck with him??
I'm thinking Flanno wasn't happy with him being deceitful in his attempt to hide injury at our expense.

Shady_Flanno

Juniors

I canā€™t believe that the Warriors didnā€™t pick up on his injury 12th Dec in the training injury at the warriors

This is very very fishy
Volkman & his management requested a release with 2 years left on his contract. Warriors released him. Not to a club. He was a free agent. Warriors also paid him a significant amount of his remaining contract.
So he had no club at the time of asking for a release. There are rumours circulating that Flanno had been in secret talks with Volkmans management way before he was released.

Warriors literally noted his shoulder in the medical...Volkman's management signed off on everything.
it was up to his management to negotiate a contract with another club after that.

Maybe the fishy smell was from the other night? Otherwise, I see no fault of the warriors in any of this.

Parko1310

Juniors
Volkman & his management requested a release with 2 years left on his contract. Warriors released him. Not to a club. He was a free agent. Warriors also paid him a significant amount of his remaining contract.
So he had no club at the time of asking for a release. There are rumours circulating that Flanno had been in secret talks with Volkmans management way before he was released.

Warriors literally noted his shoulder in the medical...Volkman's management signed off on everything.
it was up to his management to negotiate a contract with another club after that.

Maybe the fishy smell was from the other night? Otherwise, I see no fault of the warriors in any of this.
I agree the Warriors haven't done much wrong in the situation. Volkman's management and probably himself is to blame. Where the Warriors clearly have done some wrong is by the player, but again they don't necessarily owe him anything. You can't possibly tell me the Warriors didn't know Volkman was struggling to pass a ball and then in some form of negligence didn't get him the proper scans or medical treatment. In all likelihood they already knew he was moving on and so didn't really care whether his shoulder was up to standard or not. Do they have to care? No they don't. But it's not as if the screws in his shoulder fell out on the plane over to Sydney. He was already struggling clearly, which the Warriors would have known, and they didn't provide the appropriate testing (i.e. a proper scan) for the player. The only argument you could make against the Warriors though is that they've morally done the wrong thing by the player, in technicality neither of the clubs should come out punished for this (unless there's a small fine for the Dragons if its found he was in fact in full training with limited contact). The one who is left punished is Ronald Volkman, due to the stupidity of his manager.

Shady_Flanno

Juniors
Where the Warriors clearly have done some wrong is by the player
No. Not at all. Volkman requested the release. He wanted to go as soon as Harris Tavita signed with the club. He was even paid a significant amount of his remaining contract. Warriors didn't have to. Stop it. He could of stuck around and been content with being the 5th choice half. He chose to leave.

Latest posts