What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the NRL buy buy the ESL?

MugaB

Coach
There are a lot of narrow-minded wankers on this forum who look for a reason to insult those who think outside of the box. It's hypocritical too, because they push for things that are unlikely to happen, yet they try to shut down any hypothetical that they believe is a threat to their preferred vision for the game.

I raised the prospect of expanding into Singapore a year or two ago. It was met with derision by the same people who were against the Dolphins and PNG. Since then I've decided to be ultra conservative since they think it's "stupid" to think long-term and outside of the box.
Dude even i think singapore is a terrible idea, and i love to talk expansion and am more pro expansion than most on here, but having just money is not a good enough reason to expand to and area, you really need people invested in the game already, and i mean physically invested, also if your going to expand somewhere that will yeild juniors in return, the clubs ceos will vote yes to a licence to an area that wont be giving back in terms of players

Dude even i think singapore is a terrible idea, and i love to talk expansion and am more pro expansion than most on here, but having just money is not a good enough reason to expand to and area, you really need people invested in the game already, and i mean physically invested, also if your going to expand somewhere that will yeild juniors in return, the clubs ceos will vote yes to a licence to an area that wont be giving back in terms of players
It might be a terrible idea, but so are many of the proposals on this forum.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s a much better idea than buying Super Rugby, that’s for sure. Opens the door to much closer cooperation between teams in both competitions, and adds economy of scale, in the end maybe even a unified competition with European and Australian conferences (play separate regular seasons and prelim finals, then a finals series between the top four from each).

Canard

Immortal
It’s a much better idea than buying Super Rugby, that’s for sure. Opens the door to much closer cooperation between teams in both competitions, and adds economy of scale, in the end maybe even a unified competition with European and Australian conferences (play separate regular seasons and prelim finals, then a finals series between the top four from each).
I feel like most of that could be achieved just by negotiation and or some small monetary contribution, rather then a full scale diversion of ARLC funds.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I feel like most of that could be achieved just by negotiation and or some small monetary contribution, rather then a full scale diversion of ARLC funds.
I don’t think you’d do it without the aim of it actually becoming profitable. I wouldn’t want the SH propping up the northern comp indefinitely

Rumours are the English clubs will feed into the NRL clubs. We could get a situation where Hull KR feed into the Dolphins.

Kind of ironic considering Perth Red thinks the BRL clubs should feed into Melbourne and Perth.

V'landys knows how to rile up Perth Red.

siv

First Grade
NRL wouldnt consider this unless they could make money

So how do they make money here

Moving back to a winter sport and removing the last SL War change in RL, seems to be one thing

I suspect a return of Kangaroo and Lions tours would be next on the agenda

By getting UK on board the NRL will then become the defacto IRL too

I cant see betting as a big market in Europe fir the NRL, so a return of the Kangaroo tours and control of the IRL feels like the main objective

Canard

Immortal
NRL wouldnt consider this unless they could make money

So how do they make money here

Moving back to a winter sport and removing the last SL War change in RL, seems to be one thing

I suspect a return of Kangaroo and Lions tours would be next on the agenda

By getting UK on board the NRL will then become the defacto IRL too

I cant see betting as a big market in Europe fir the NRL, so a return of the Kangaroo tours and control of the IRL feels like the main objective
Why would moving back to winter be a money maker? Geniune question.

And, if so, why aren't they doing it now?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

The way I read the idea of that was to allow players to do stints in both competitions.
But yeah I can’t see how it’d be more profitable for their comp.

docbrown

Coach
Buy it. Run both seasons from March to the end of October. Clubs play 24 games over 29 rounds. You can then give clubs byes during 3 Origin rounds and 3-4 International Test match rounds. With a 20 team NRL comp, you can play 2-3 NRL games in those bye rounds. So 14 to 16 teams get a bye. In those rounds - Thursday, Friday, Saturday - NRL. Sunday - Tests/Origin.

Vlad59

Juniors
Buy it. Run both seasons from March to the end of October. Clubs play 24 games over 29 rounds. You can then give clubs byes during 3 Origin rounds and 3-4 International Test match rounds. With a 20 team NRL comp, you can play 2-3 NRL games in those bye rounds. So 14 to 16 teams get a bye. In those rounds - Thursday, Friday, Saturday - NRL. Sunday - Tests/Origin.
The voice of reason

siv

First Grade

Question is profit for who

NRL or ESL clubs

A return for Kangaroo and Lions tours could be the financial incentive for everyone

English RL has only gotten weaker when its been played over summer

It will be interesting if ESL clubs were stronger before or after the SL War

Plus broadcasters may like ESL content again between RL seasons

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
End of season:
Play weeks one and two of a finals series between the top 8 sides in each hemisphere hemisphere, then play a combined finals between both top 4s to determine the eventual champion. Alternate hemispheres for the finals series each year.

Colk

First Grade

But what is the benefit of the NRL buying the English Super League if they are going to run both competitions at exactly the same time?

The only benefit that I can see is access to players. The only way you could do it without seriously affecting the Super League product is to reduce the overlap not increase it.

taste2taste

Juniors

Moving to winter would be a disaster. Good luck getting any attention up against the EPL and how many fans are going to watch games in -5 degrees.

The argument that players could do stints in both comps is ridiculous, yes it was possible in the 80's when players were half professional but the demands are too much now, players will burn out quickly.