What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 NRL Pre-Season Challenge - Week 2 & WCC

I watched the game and I thought Penrith have every right to feel agrrieved. Two really bad decisions went against them in my book - the awarding of Wigan's last try, which I could forgive the referee for but the video referee confirming it was beyond me; and of course the penalty against Liam Martin for the strip which was horrendous.

That said I think at times Penrith's match tactics were poor. I could not believe how many times, in the first half especially, they ran and died with the ball on the last tackle without putting in any kind of kick. Almost the first time they put up a decent bomb and chased, they scored. I know they were without Luai, and Cole was only playing alongside Cleary for the second time (please correct me if I'm wrong) but the attack looked a little disjointed with players not quite sure what to do.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Looking back penrith were robbed hard

Wigan had a man down with injury but still

Penrith played way better than last years wcc

Wb1234

Referee
I watched the game and I thought Penrith have every right to feel agrrieved. Two really bad decisions went against them in my book - the awarding of Wigan's last try, which I could forgive the referee for but the video referee confirming it was beyond me; and of course the penalty against Liam Martin for the stripwhich was horrendous.

That said I think at times Penrith's match tactics were poor. I could not beliueve how many tiems, in the first half especially, theyt ran and died with the ball on the last tackle without putting in any kind of kick. Almost the first time they put up a decent bomb and chased, they scored. I know they were without Luai, and Cole was only playing alongside Cleary for the second time (please correct me if I'm wrong) but the attack looked a little disjointed with polayers not quite sure what to do.
Wigan second try was off two forward passes

last panthers no try looked more of a try than wigans double movement try

Iamback

Coach
I watched the game and I thought Penrith have every right to feel agrrieved. Two really bad decisions went against them in my book - the awarding of Wigan's last try, which I could forgive the referee for but the video referee confirming it was beyond me; and of course the penalty against Liam Martin for the stripwhich was horrendous.

That said I think at times Penrith's match tactics were poor. I could not beliueve how many tiems, in the first half especially, theyt ran and died with the ball on the last tackle without putting in any kind of kick. Almost the first time they put up a decent bomb and chased, they scored. I know they were without Luai, and Cole was only playing alongside Cleary for the second time (please correct me if I'm wrong) but the attack looked a little disjointed with polayers not quite sure what to do.

I think we stuffed up by not playing a trial before we left.

Cole has never played with our starters and missed a bit of time last year. Also May hasn't played an NRL game since the Parra final in 2022.

Certainly we wanted to win but I think they didn't take it as seriously as we could of

Vic Mackey

Referee
i only watched the last 25 mins or so, turned it on just as the wardle try was 'scored.' Easily one of the worst decisons Ive seen. I can kinda understand from the video ref but to me there was cetainly enough evidence to overturn it. how the ref gave it a try from his view point was the farcical part.

the martin strip was obviusly the wrong call, however those split second live decisions are tough so i can forgive, were there challeneges in this game or had penrith already lost theirs?

last call on the May no try was correct imo

I always felt like Penrith were going to come over Wigan and score late, unlike last year where st helens seemed in control the whole time Wigan seemed jittery and panthers were getting plenty of chances down their end. Like last year im sure they would have liked to win but doubt theyll lose much sleep over it.

Iamback

Coach
i only watched the last 25 mins or so, turned it on just as the wardle try was 'scored.' Easily one of the worst decisons Ive seen. I can kinda understand from the video ref but to me there was cetainly enough evidence to overturn it. how the ref gave it a try from his view point was the farcical part.

the martin strip was obviusly the wrong call, however those split second live decisions are tough so i can forgive, were there challeneges in this game or had penrith already lost theirs?

I always felt like Penrith were going to come over Wigan and score late, unlike last year where st helens seemed in control the whole time Wigan seemed jittery and panthers were getting plenty of chances down their end. Like last year im sure they would have liked to win but doubt theyll lose much sleep over it.

No there is no captains challenge in the game, Though the video ref likely makes the wrong call anyway.

The NRL sides that have won it usually go bad the next season due to peaking too early, I am sure we wanted to win but they care more about not burning out before the finals

Have to agree. I couldn't see anything to say he didn't go into touch befoprte passing the ball. It looked, to me on TV admittedly, rather cut and dried. Panthers may have issues to rightly complain about in that game, but the May no try is not one of them.

Latest posts