What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

T-Boon

Coach
It was the right call because it went backwards. It is only wrong because the refs have this thing of calling every dropped ball a knock on even when they obviously go backwards.

no name

Coach
If they called the Koula one a knock on would Manly challenge?
If they did challenge would they overturn it?
I reckon the answer is no for both.

Reactions: Rod

gerg

Juniors
They make a quick call backing the onfield ref most of the time. They like to move on with the game, thinking that us OCD fans can't go back and look at these things online, while it is happening.

Vee

First Grade
They've changed the rules.

I'm not sure if Klein called surrender on Mariner but with the way he landed you can understand why Klein felt Munster wasn't entitled to pick up the scraps and score.
Thanks for that. Interesting, under that interpretation, the player was tackled and the ref should have called that. If he did, Munster should be penalised for stealing after the tackle was complete. If not, the video discusses touching or putting hands on a player but doesn't address stealing the ball without touching him, or at least it's not clear it does, in which case Munster's action should prompt a clarification of the rule to cover this. IMO.

kurt faulk

Coach
Thanks for that. Interesting, under that interpretation, the player was tackled and the ref should have called that. If he did, Munster should be penalised for stealing after the tackle was complete. If not, the video discusses touching or putting hands on a player but doesn't address stealing the ball without touching him, or at least it's not clear it does, in which case Munster's action should prompt a clarification of the rule to cover this. IMO.

But the player is in possession of the ball. The ball is part of the player. So when Munster touched the ball he touches the player. Tackle complete.

Rod

Bench
If they called the Koula one a knock on would Manly challenge?
If they did challenge would they overturn it?
I reckon the answer is no for both.
Correct. It's been a knock on for 100 years.

If they want to start calling it based on whether the ball literally went slightly backwards from now on then that's fine but it would fly in the face of rugby league history up until now.

no name

Coach
Moriata got tackled awkwardly, landed on his back and the ball spilled 5 metres backwards.
Ref calls knock on.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Can a referee call a six again, effectively give advantage, then change the call to a penalty when the receiving team squanders possession?

The ref did this for the Titans today, as they kicked the ball dead after the ref signalled six again.

Advantage on six again calls is certainly opaque.

Someguy

First Grade
I am confused why the Raiders were penalised and the ball returned to the half way for a kickoff that went out on the full after parramattas last try. I was under the understanding that a kickoff that went out in the full now went to the receiving team at the spot where the ball went out.

Munky

Coach
I am confused why the Raiders were penalised and the ball returned to the half way for a kickoff that went out on the full after parramattas last try. I was under the understanding that a kickoff that went out in the full now went to the receiving team at the spot where the ball went out.

Only a contestable kick.

Regular kick offs have the same rules.

gerg

Juniors
Can a referee call a six again, effectively give advantage, then change the call to a penalty when the receiving team squanders possession?

The ref did this for the Titans today, as they kicked the ball dead after the ref signalled six again.

Advantage on six again calls is certainly opaque.

They changed the rule this year. If a team is awarded a 6again but drop it within the same tackle and not receiving an advantage they are awarded a penalty. I don't mind the rule.

skeepe

Immortal
They changed the rule this year. If a team is awarded a 6again but drop it within the same tackle and not receiving an advantage they are awarded a penalty. I don't mind the rule.
They didn’t change it this year. It depends on what the 6 again is for.

MRN

Juniors
Nope. Try again.
Well take this for what you will, but on Triple M yesterday they had Ryan Girdler, Wade Graham and Michael Chammas and they were all unanimous that as soon as Munster touches the ball in possession of a prone player, it constitutes a completed tackle. Wade Graham was the one I took note of as he was RLPA director until he retired and as far as i know, rule changes have to go through the RLPA, so I would think he is a reasonable authority on current rules, at least up until last year and possibly if any 2024 rules came through the RLPA before he retired.

gerg

Juniors
They didn’t change it this year. It depends on what the 6 again is for.
I thought the interpretation was changed this year because I don't remember seeing 6agains overturned to penalties in previous years? Can you remember games in 2023 where this happened?

I guess you're technically right. If it's an offside 6again and the attacking team drops it it will change to a penalty. If it's a ruck related penalty it won't, because it's considered a new play once the ball is put on the ground and played.

Would you have another way to explain it?

Maximus

Coach
Moriata got tackled awkwardly, landed on his back and the ball spilled 5 metres backwards.
Ref calls knock on.

Claimed that the tackle was completed, so doesn't matter if it goes forward or backwards.

The fact that he let go of the ball due to injury doesn't matter to a ref that's looking for black and white rules and not what's actually happening.

firechild

First Grade
That is the thing.

If it is a kick down field and the fullback drops it like that, It is always a knock on. No idea where that came from
This is probably the dumbest argument for a knock on to have been called. Dropping a kick gets called knock back all the time. Dropped passes on the other hand usually get called knock ons unless they are very obviously backwards.
I don't think you'll find a Manly fan that would have been particularly upset if it was called a knock on but you're just making shit up if you think refs never call dropped balls knock backs.
The ball went backwards and 12 of the panthers players stopped and waited for a whistle, that alone means they got what they deserved.