What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

Vee

First Grade
As a busted-arse broken down old ex-ref with dodgy knees that are about 20 years older than the rest of my tired old carcass, I get most of my enjoyment from the game these days from just watching the brilliance of the players and ruling on the big calls. My mates tell me what patterns teams are running and when they change (I couldn't tell you) and I tip them to the correct decisions, often without a replay and with a high degree of success even if it does take the the bunker 12 replays from 5 angles. And sometimes they still find a way to get it wrong as plenty on here would attest.

I hear and read a lot of dribble from commentators and fans that miss the point completely in game and other threads so I thought it'd be a good idea to bring it all together here.

You can still vent your outrage in the game thread but if you're serious we might find patterns emerging with particular refs or teams/fans by discussing them here.

Dunno whether this will work but worth a try I think.

i have no problems with the Manly No Try decision if & it’s a giant if it’s ruled on consistently all season .
I doubt that very much .
Probably same thing happen in Knights V Storm & will be let go .

Vee

First Grade
i have no problems with the Manly No Try decision if & it’s a giant if it’s ruled on consistently all season .
I doubt that very much .
Nah, missed it live but I had no argument after the first replay.

JokerEel

Coach
I doubt that very much .

They have been consistent all season calling this not try...

Big Salad

Juniors
I can remember everyone on the different rugby league forums 20 years ago whinging about Robert Finch (then referees boss) and the referees in general a whole lot. People still whinge about the same amount as they did back then..... which suggests that the referees in general are doing about as well as they can.

Canard

Immortal
I can remember everyone on the different rugby league forums 20 years ago whinging about Robert Finch (then referees boss) and the referees in general a whole lot. People still whinge about the same amount as they did back then..... which suggests that the referees in general are doing about as well as they can.
They where whinged about in 1908 and have been ever since

Munky

Coach
Gus is the worst. If a rule doesn't suit his agenda, he reckons it should be changed.

My favourite Gus moment is in 2004 the Dragons are denied a try due to obstruction in the Anzac game against the Roosters and Gus was all over saying why it was a definite no try.

In the GF the Roosters scored a similar try only to be disallowed for obstruction.

Thought the pass from turbo was forward anyway. Whether moretti was getting there or not (he wasn't) jake needed to not stop right in the line of the defence. Correct decision

Reactions: Vee

Iamback

Coach
I doubt that very much .

I have a huge problem with ones like that, I rewards lazy defence. If the Parra defender was making a genuine effort then no try.

He was walking and brushed Jake and was rewarded.

We have seen a few like this where the defender has a poor read or is lazy and is called back

Bazal

Post Whore
I have a huge problem with ones like that, I rewards lazy defence. If the Parra defender was making a genuine effort then no try.

He was walking and brushed Jake and was rewarded.

We have seen a few like this where the defender has a poor read or is lazy and is called back

Why should Fat Jake be rewarded for being lazy and interfering with the line? It's a completely circular argument, and a pointless one, and ignored the fact that the rules state an obstruction occurs when a defender is denied an opportunity at making the tackle.

Jake stopped in the line. Moretti was denied any opportunity. Black, meet white.

Iamback

Coach
Why should Fat Jake be rewarded for being lazy and interfering with the line? It's a completely circular argument, and a pointless one, and ignored the fact that the rules state an obstruction occurs when a defender is denied an opportunity at making the tackle.

Jake stopped in the line. Moretti was denied any opportunity. Black, meet white.

He didn't stop in the line. The contact point DCE is past him.

Attachments

• IMG_2589.png
    IMG_2589.png
    770.6 KB · Views: 18

Iamback

Coach
He didn't stop in the line. The contact point DCE is past him.

You take it back a frame. The 14 is here with the 17. The 17 goes the 14 stays and misses his line so brushes into Jake and holds his arms up to cover for missing his assignment

Attachments

• IMG_2589.png
    IMG_2589.png
    770.6 KB · Views: 8

Vee

First Grade