What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Ryles

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Cheika

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters

Avenger

Immortal
You will argue against f**king anything....
It’s a f**king illness. He will go the opposite way just to be a prick. You never know what he truly believes in, just likes to argue for the sake of it to get a rise out of people. If I was in charge here I would have banned him years ago.

He reminds me of those people that start fires and sit back to see what they have created.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s a fair point imo. BA is part of the reason for our shit performance last week and part of the reason for our good performance this week. Why is that so difficult to understand?
Yep, and saying he can’t get a team up every week is simplistic and illogical. No team is up every week, though we are capable of some very alarming performances. Is that the coach’s fault?

Cleary’s record at the same point of his career is instructive. Sometimes teams just get belted, regardless of the coach. If we’re comparing the teams that sometimes concede huge scores with the ones that don’t, coaching doesn’t seem to be the reason, because consistently strong teams are all coached by coaches who have overseen disaster performances. Bellamy might be the only exception.

Senior players are absolutely the reason for teams failing to get up. When I was in the army Wayne Bennett came to chat with some merkins about leadership, and he spoke very specifically about senior players in a rugby league team. He made it clear that he believes these are the guys responsible for things like morale and focus from week to week. Coaching is about strategy (including player development) and tactics. As far as man management goes, he manages the team leaders. Micromanaging the players undermines those leaders.

So maybe Arthur is a toxic micromanager or maybe he trusts senior players he shouldn’t. But it’s not his job to ‘get the team up’ on match days. At least not according to Wayne Bennett. If our team leaders aren’t good enough he needs to identify and replace them. But this is fraught given how influential those senior players can be at a club. Personally I believe any time a coach gets the arse it’s mostly to do with his relationships with the senior players in the club, one way or another.

JokerEel

Coach
It’s a f**king illness. He will go the opposite way just to be a prick. You never know what he truly believes in, just likes to argue for the sake of it to get a rise out of people. If I was in charge here I would have banned him years ago.

He reminds me of those people that start fires and sit back to see what they have created.

The dope replies to a post praising BA like give it a rest pest ffs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How do you know he didn't ?

How do you know it wasn't a combined effort ?

How does it even matter ? we won ffs.
Because we will lose again before the season is over, maybe as soon as next week. Then he will suddenly be a shit coach again according to our bipolar fanbase.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep, and saying he can’t get a team up every week is simplistic and illogical. No team is up every week, though we are capable of some very alarming performances. Is that the coach’s fault?

Cleary’s record at the same point of his career is instructive. Sometimes teams just get belted, regardless of the coach. If we’re comparing the teams that sometimes concede huge scores with the ones that don’t, coaching doesn’t seem to be the reason, because consistently strong teams are all coached by coaches who have overseen disaster performances. Bellamy might be the only exception.

Senior players are absolutely the reason for teams failing to get up. When I was in the army Wayne Bennett came to chat with some merkins about leadership, and he spoke very specifically about senior players in a rugby league team. He made it clear that he believes these are the guys responsible for things like morale and focus from week to week. Coaching is about strategy (including player development) and tactics. As far as man management goes, he manages the team leaders. Micromanaging the players undermines those leaders.

So maybe Arthur is a toxic micromanager or maybe he trusts senior players he shouldn’t. But it’s not his job to ‘get the team up’ on match days. At least not according to Wayne Bennett. If our team leaders aren’t good enough he needs to identify and replace them. But this is fraught given how influential those senior players can be at a club. Personally I believe any time a coach gets the arse it’s mostly to do with his relationships with the senior players in the club, one way or another.
I think he trusts senior players he shouldn’t. Same as Demetriou.

That’s where Bennett shines. He recognises and encourages leadership in players. It’s why the Dolphins are able to perform better than the strength of their squad would suggest they should. He wasn’t able to recruit a great team, but he brought in excellent leaders.

I’ve often wondered about his love affair with Darius though. Never struck me as a great leader.

Chipmunk

Coach

That’s where Bennett shines. He recognises and encourages leadership in players. It’s why the Dolphins are able to perform better than the strength of their squad would suggest they should. He wasn’t able to recruit a great team, but he brought in excellent leaders.

I’ve often wondered about his love affair with Darius though. Never struck me as a great leader.
There is still a significant amount of Queensland Origin and NZ International players in that Dolphins roster.

Their forward strength is going to keep them in most games, just as our does.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm not sure Demetriou did trust his senior players. He might've been fearful of them and their ability to get him rissoled from his job. Obviously a coach who feels he needs to kiss undeserving arses isn't one you want in charge of an NRL team. What would stop a club from replacing such a coach? Accusing highly paid and influential public figures of incompetence is the opiate of the masses. Nothing is ever as simple as some incompetent person getting a job that any deadshit online could do.

the phantom menace

First Grade
"Accusing highly paid and influential public figures of incompetence is the opiate of the masses."

mmm GIF

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
Glad BA decided to borrow my thoughts

Wish he had played Asi when Moses was injured.

Letting Brown play more freely as well great idea something I also mentioned...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm not sure Demetriou did trust his senior players. He might've been fearful of them and their ability to get him rissoled from his job. Obviously a coach who feels he needs to kiss undeserving arses isn't one you want in charge of an NRL team. What would stop a club from replacing such a coach? Accusing highly paid and influential public figures of incompetence is the opiate of the masses. Nothing is ever as simple as some incompetent person getting a job that any deadshit online could do.
Thats fair. Mitchell, Walker etc. would be very hard to get rid of or discipline in any way for anyone other than a coach like Bennett.

hindy111

Post Whore
Because we will lose again before the season is over, maybe as soon as next week. Then he will suddenly be a shit coach again according to our bipolar fanbase.

We played with a lot of guts but our attacking structures still stunk it up big time. Felt like an element of luck to our tries.
Cowboys looked better drilled the way they moved the ball around. They just didn't execute well. The bounce of the ball went our way as well. We deserved the win and needed it. Maybe it will change our season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We played with a lot of guts but our attacking structures still stunk it up big time. Felt like an element of luck to our tries.
Well come on, there is an element of luck to every try, but yes we rely on offloads because it suits our players' strengths. We have been in the top two offloading teams every year since 2019. It suits us.

It's good to see we are back in mid-table for tackle breaks though. Last year we were near the bottom, after being an average tackle breaking team for years. What was different last year? Interestingly we had our highest 'ladder finish' for points per game since 2019, despite so few tackle breaks.

The Predictor

Juniors
Cowboys looked better drilled the way they moved the ball around. They just didn't execute well. The bounce of the ball went our way as well. We deserved the win and needed it. Maybe it will change our season.
Let’s face it, it was a shit win, we play anyone of note that night we are f**ked, whoever thinks that was a good win shows the depths we have reached

Latest posts