What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the 2024 Warriors better than the 2023 Warriors? Can we go all the way?

If you said "we're in with a chance", no problem.

But "it's ours to lose"? Crazy

Also, I don't really know what you're talking about re me 'using statistics to justify my comments', but I seldom understand what you're talking about anyway.
Perhaps I came on a bit too strong there. Nevertheless, it's a genuine sentiment I hold, and I'm tired of suppressing it to fit the typical Kiwi humble demeanor. I strongly support our team and genuinely believe they can win it all in 2024. The Storm may have had luck on their side earlier this year, but I'm not intimidated by Penrith or Brisbane as I was last year. We've improved, they haven't.

Meth

Staff member
To be honest, I do have a hard time genuinely believing after so many years of disappointment. But would love to see it happen and they certainly clicked a bit on the weekend.

I think Egan is crucial and unfortunately, he's made of glass and held together by sticky tape.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It always takes a bit of luck to go deep into this completion, injury luck is a huge key, and AFB and SJ are probably the keys in that area, and a kind draw which the Warriors had last year

I can’t make a judgement either way as I’ve barely seen them play, and I may be a bit harsh on the raiders, but the Kinghts, Raiders and Souths are looking like ordinary sides

The good thing is as they did last season, they are putting away the ordinary sides. On the flip side of that they couldn’t quite foot it with the top sides and we are yet to see how they fare in that department this season. Rounds 10-15 look like a good gauge depending on how origin fits in

Feel it is a lot more open this season. Penrith obviously at the top and at full strength Brisbane and Melbourne probably there with them among the elite. Warriors nipping at their heels in the next bunch of sides that need some results over that opposition to be there with them

Last edited:

ozenzud

Juniors
Perhaps I came on a bit too strong there. Nevertheless, it's a genuine sentiment I hold, and I'm tired of suppressing it to fit the typical Kiwi humble demeanor. I strongly support our team and genuinely believe they can win it all in 2024. The Storm may have had luck on their side earlier this year, but I'm not intimidated by Penrith or Brisbane as I was last year. We've improved, they haven't.
We've improved, they haven't. Well we weren't within Coo-ee of Brisbane and Penriff. Could improve and still not be near them at full strength.

We've improved, they haven't. Well we weren't within Coo-ee of Brisbane and Penriff. Could improve and still not be near them at full strength.
2023: I was nervous facing the top four teams, and this reflected in how we didn't compose ourselves as a unit and ended up losing

2024 I am welcoming the challenge. We are playing better as a team and appear much more composed out there.

This year those sides should be nervous facing this unified team.

Lets go!

nswarrior

Juniors
AFB, Harris and SJ are playing as well as 2023

Barnett, Egan, Ford, Ale, Barry are playing even better then 2023

RTS, Capewell and CTH are great new additions and have made the team more potent

The team as a whole have played under Webster for a year and have more belief

The 2024 Warriors are far better than the 2023 Warriors.

We are a chance of winning it and obviously long time to go and we need luck. But our best 17 will be very competitive

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The good thing is as they did last season, they are putting away the ordinary sides. On the flip side of that they couldn’t quite foot it with the top sides and we are yet to see how they fare in that department this season.
We did almost beat (should have beaten) Melbourne in Melbourne, and you'd have to think they'll be up there. Manly look like a pretty good side this year, so this week will be a big tester, as well.

JJ

Immortal
I think Egan is crucial and unfortunately, he's made of glass and held together by sticky tape.
He's certainly one of the crucial pieces - glass might be harsh, it's an incredibly demanding position.

That said, the talk about Origin is interesting, I think Api is clearly the best NSW hooker, but if he's injured Egan must be a strong show - and the physical demands there really concern me in terms of him and the trickle down to the Warriors

Meth

Staff member
I’m sure Wayde wants to play Origin but (selfishly) I don’t want him picked.

Although with the way it’s arranged, it can have less impact on a club. What does it look like for us this year? Who are we playing? If Wayde was picked, how many games would he miss?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
We did almost beat (should have beaten) Melbourne in Melbourne, and you'd have to think they'll be up there. Manly look like a pretty good side this year, so this week will be a big tester, as well.
Yep, they did have Munster missing, but not often you will play a top side at full strength and be at full strength yourself though

I think we are quite vulnerable on the edges, especially with Garrick and Saab out, so will probably get found out there. Should ask plenty of questions with the ball though. Looking forward to Nathan Brown coming off the back fence into the big boys again

JJ

Immortal
I’m sure Wayde wants to play Origin but (selfishly) I don’t want him picked.

Although with the way it’s arranged, it can have less impact on a club. What does it look like for us this year? Who are we playing? If Wayde was picked, how many games would he miss?
I'm purely worried about the injury risk - but if he's picked it's amazing for him - Have to think Api's the guy, with a bench utility, but Egan certainly there or thereabouts especially with Souths being a rabble

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Not sure what I'd base excessive optimism on at this stage. Out of 5 games so far the Cronulla and Canberra performances were poor and against Melbourne we found a way to lose instead of securing a big win. That hardly constitutes overwhelming early season form.

If anything, the indications remain strong that we are vulnerable if any of SJ, Egan or AFB go down, and to an extent CNK (with complications around whether RTS subs in for him or not) and Harris.

General signs are we're building in to the season pretty nicely and hopefully that will continue if we avoid major injuries. In terms of direct comparisons with the top sides, we're currently looking pretty good as Melbourne, Penrith and Brisbane have all been hit hard by key injuries so far. However, there still isn't really anything to suggest we are as good as Walsh/Mam/Reynolds/Haas/Carrigan Broncos, or Edwards/Luai/Cleary Panthers, or even Papi/Munster/Hughes/Grant Storm.

Really, it's all been unfair comparisons across the comp so far, and it's possible we might benefit from that longer term. Brisbane's season for example could end up in disarray if their injury woes don't improve. I think that's about all you can say so far, that if we have all our guns and are playing someone who doesn't, we're a good chance.

Not sure what I'd base excessive optimism on at this stage. Out of 5 games so far the Cronulla and Canberra performances were poor and against Melbourne we found a way to lose instead of securing a big win. That hardly constitutes overwhelming early season form.

If anything, the indications remain strong that we are vulnerable if any of SJ, Egan or AFB go down, and to an extent CNK (with complications around whether RTS subs in for him or not) and Harris.

General signs are we're building in to the season pretty nicely and hopefully that will continue if we avoid major injuries. In terms of direct comparisons with the top sides, we're currently looking pretty good as Melbourne, Penrith and Brisbane have all been hit hard by key injuries so far. However, there still isn't really anything to suggest we are as good as Walsh/Mam/Reynolds/Haas/Carrigan Broncos, or Edwards/Luai/Cleary Panthers, or even Papi/Munster/Hughes/Grant Storm.

Really, it's all been unfair comparisons across the comp so far, and it's possible we might benefit from that longer term. Brisbane's season for example could end up in disarray if their injury woes don't improve. I think that's about all you can say so far, that if we have all our guns and are playing someone who doesn't, we're a good chance.
I think that's a fair summation.

If the question is are we better than last year, then sure I think that's clear. On paper we're definitely better than last year.

But if the question is will we win comp... I think in a world where everyone across the comp is fit and in form, we'd still lag Penrith and the Broncs. But depending on how injures/suspensions actually play out, we could just as easily surpass them both as well. There's just so many variables.

One thing though - I know Souths aren't a great barometer right now, but the boys showed some good things over the weekend that don't depend on the opposition being shit. The effort plays from the halves and CNK to push up the middle whenever Egan created an opening showed the team's willing to work hard for each other, and the lines run by Rocco and Ford for their tries showed there's some good combinations developing on the edges.

Better teams may have held them out from actually scoring, but seeing the opportunities being created was really encouraging IMO.

Meth

Staff member
I think that's a fair summation.

If the question is are we better than last year, then sure I think that's clear. On paper we're definitely better than last year.

I think there's quite a few teams that are better than last year- Tigers, Bulldogs, Dolphins etc

Way to early and haven't played Panthers or Brisbane at full strength.
Our attack looks clunky in the 20m except a few times vs Storm.
Defensively we making individual decisions that are dumb.
We are missing some speed out wide.
Hopefully we are building for something special.
Manly another good test this week.

Way to early and haven't played Panthers or Brisbane at full strength.
Our attack looks clunky in the 20m except a few times vs Storm.
Defensively we making individual decisions that are dumb.
We are missing some speed out wide.
Hopefully we are building for something special.
Manly another good test this week.
I thought that too before the weekend but things looked much sharper against Souths. RTS, Rocco and Ford's tries were all really well executed within the 20m. Agree on the individual defensive lapses though, especially DWZ's habit of jamming in.

TheDMC

Bench
The go forward has been awesome, the attacking finesse not so much, at least not yet, but tracking the right way. Despite some shoddy defensive lapses such as the jamming in cited above, and soft burrow overs from the ruck (Ramien) our defense so far seems pretty solid, another great sign. We have conceded the least points per game out of all teams - probably something we have never achieved after 5 games (let alone a season) since for ever.
Too early to say if we are better than last year, but signs are good I reckon. Need to beat at least one of Melbourne, Brisbane, or Panthers in a fair fight for me to consider us a title chance this year.

ozenzud

Juniors
I heard the Billy Slater and Johns raving on about the Warriors. Based on a performance against Souffs? I'm enjoying the season, but have not booked the GF yet.......no hang on I have, but not expecting to watch warriors....but maaaaaybe.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

We’ve added 2 more shit performances to the mix. I’m gonna keep this thread live. I still don’t see the evidence that we’re a really good team. So far it’s mostly been an incredible marketing job.

Latest posts