What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 5 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
A fifth of the way into the season and already squad depth is an issue at many clubs. There's quite a few injuries going around. Metcalf at the Warriors worries me in the sense that last year, exposed in the final against Brisbane, we lacked pace in the backs. Metcalf was a bit of a point of difference there for us, he didn't play in that game.

Tonight and the round blasts off with Melbourne and Brisbane. Two sides that just loooove a friendly referee! But there can only ever be one ref, right? Which why will he swing?

Friday, a soggy one in Sydney. Mainly true believers will be at the Olympic Stadium for the Doggies and Chooks, mostly so with the latter, who struggle for roll-up fans even at the SFS. The other game, Knights v Dragons, has a home win written all over it. Ponga's the key, I don't think St George have any star quality to counter that, especially away at Newcastle.

Saturday, hopefully it's not too soggy for Souths v Warriors. I just hope the surly mood at Souths doesn't snap to attention with the sight of the boys from across the ditch in front of them. This year, like last year, we're tougher, aren't we? We just don't give struggling sides that sort of boost (do we?)

Manly have Penrith. Who's ready to call that one? I don't think it's a sure thing. Sure, Penrith are good anywhere but Manly are at Brookie on an early Saturday evening. That counts for something (I know, I lived there).

Will the Dolphins maintain top-spot or will Wests show some consistent form? Wayne v Benji, which is what, about 400 v 4 first grade games as coach?

The Cowboys will add to Dessie's misery, but he signed up for that, he knew the GC would be a challenge and glory would be a long-term thing. You gotta love him.

We close with Canberra and Parra. Sticky is filthy with the refs and the world, and should have his players ready to roll. The Eels are away from their flash stadium, so Sticky might have a little less to worry about with the officials' calls this week.

Enjoy.

Will the Dolphins maintain top-spot or will Wests show some consistent form? Wayne v Benji, which is what, about 400 v 4 first grade games as coach?
Actually looking forward to this one. Shame Galvin's missing but interesting to see whether the latest Fainu debutante lives up to the raps. Crazy to think after so long on struggle street, the Tiges could have one of the best spines in the comp in the next 12-18mths.

Bunker could see Wishart ball on the ground (or a Broncos shoulder white uniform) that was called no try. But couldn't see Montoya's that was called try????

Blair

Coach
A cracking start to the round, 34-32, Storm.

Brisbane blew that last chance. No one knew the bomb was on! Thank god the Warriors - in the past hopefully - aren't the only club capable of dumb stuff.

Gee, the rain is coming down here now (in the Blue Mountains). Saturday is still a couple of days away. The Warriors should be OK by then.

Kikau in a dangerous mood.
Nice Patrick Mahomes impression for Burton try.
Roosters falling over each othet to get off the field with HIAs