What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Topine sues Bulldogs

Vlad59

Juniors
Im suspecting he is. He made no effort to talk to the integrity unit about the matter. It does sound like he was preparing for this.

However, workplace rules do protect him and he dogs may have broke them. He'll get some sort of payout.
100%. You don’t want a written decision backing this claim as it’s a precedent that could potentially ruin pretty much any professional sport.

Iamback

Coach
Please... Your club and the NRL will be praying the Dogs pay him quietly or win in court (NRL will have to help the Dogs), this will impact every single Club and team sport basically worldwide!

Penrith brag about the Army training camp (Brisbane too previously) where players are deprived of sleep... Wait till those players who no longer play hear about this and sue also.

Different circumstances as the whole squad does it.

Late players often get hair dyed or something

Danish

Referee
Under the present laws, it very much is. The military has changed quite a bit over recent times too.

what present laws would allow my employer to dock my pay for making a minor mistake on the job like we do with the judiciary system? how about docking 10% of my salary for having a person come up to my hotel room on a work trip? Do the players get overtime and travel allowances for away games?

it’s not the same and it will never be the same. Professional sport is not a normal job and works under completely different conditions and expectations.

Wizardman

First Grade
100%. You don’t want a written decision backing this claim as it’s a precedent that could potentially ruin pretty much any professional sport.
I do suspect it is a case of Topine not displaying the resilience required for the line of work he was in. I'd feel sick if he won the 4 million dollars he is seeking.

Chimp

Bench
what present laws would allow my employer to dock my pay for making a minor mistake on the job like we do with the judiciary system? how about docking 10% of my salary for having a person come up to my hotel room on a work trip? Do the players get overtime and travel allowances for away games?

it’s not the same and it will never be the same. Professional sport is not a normal job and works under completely different conditions and expectations.
Agree 100% - the issue is, there’s no workplace regs dedicated to sport. When people try and apply normal workplace regs, it just doesn’t work, for all the reasons you mention. Though I suspect foul play fines and ‘bringing the game into disrepute’ type fines are probably covered in their contracts, whereas being hammered at training as punishment probably is not.

Wizardman

First Grade

If you were late for work numerous times, a workplace can definitely go through a process where a sacking can be the end result.

nick87

Coach
The coach came from the best side in professional rugby league history and the Dogs are on the up......

Ah gotcha! My apologies.
I wish I had of known. How’s that working out for the knights and AOB? How’d Steve Kearney work out?

Ciraldo is lucky to still be in a job given how they’ve gone under him… the last few weeks have been solid but let’s see if it sustains… my bet? It won’t. Halves aren’t good enough. Fullback is a wasteland still.

the sports world is littered with coaches from great teams who branch out on their own and f**king STINK. Being in the box with Ivan Cleary coaching a superstar team apparently doesn’t f**king translate when you’re not Ivan Cleary and you don’t have a superstar team
Who’d have thought!?

and believe me brother… I’ve lived through Mal Meninga, Matt Elliott, Neil Henry, David Furner and a dacade now of Ricky Stuart (top 2!)…
I am uniquely qualified to spot a fraud in the coaching booth

azza29

Juniors
Some posters in this thread must think actresses should have been grateful that Harvey Weinstein offered them the chance to sleep with him in return for getting a part.

Hazing and bullying has no place in the modern workplace, not even (gasp!) sports. Time to drag some dinosaurs into the current century.

dogslife

Coach
Ah gotcha! My apologies.
I wish I had of known. How’s that working out for the knights and AOB? How’d Steve Kearney work out?

Ciraldo is lucky to still be in a job given how they’ve gone under him… the last few weeks have been solid but let’s see if it sustains… my bet? It won’t. Halves aren’t good enough. Fullback is a wasteland still.

the sports world is littered with coaches from great teams who branch out on their own and f**king STINK. Being in the box with Ivan Cleary coaching a superstar team apparently doesn’t f**king translate when you’re not Ivan Cleary and you don’t have a superstar team
Who’d have thought!?

and believe me brother… I’ve lived through Mal Meninga, Matt Elliott, Neil Henry, David Furner and a dacade now of Ricky Stuart (top 2!)…
This isn't the NFL. Ciraldo gets at least 2-3 years to turn it around like every other new coach does. Clear out some of the dead wood (Jackson Topine) and get a few of his blokes in there

Chimp

Bench
Ah gotcha! My apologies.

Who’d have thought!?

Trent Barrett agrees with your points wholeheartedly

kurt faulk

Coach
Some posters in this thread must think actresses should have been grateful that Harvey Weinstein offered them the chance to sleep with him in return for getting a part.

Hazing and bullying has no place in the modern workplace, not even (gasp!) sports. Time to drag some dinosaurs into the current century.

They chose fame over dignity. It's disgusting that that was their choice but they wanted fame more.

kurt faulk

Coach

Imagine if this guy had to work as a concreter in summer. He wouldn't have lasted a day as his feelings would have been so hurt.

Chimp

Bench
They chose fame over dignity. It's disgusting that that was their choice but they wanted fame more.

Hard to disagree with this.

The world is a little crazy like this though - look at how many beautiful young women throw themselves at people like Mick Jagger or Lewis Capaldi….

JamesRustle

First Grade
So the bulldogs demote this guy and promote a weak gutted dog person (Salmon). Gus and ciraldo don't know their moobs from their socks full of sand.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member

I mean, we had someone comparing the alleged incident to running laps earlier, pretending that they are somehow equivalent.

I don't think he will win this case though and agree with others that this will be settled outside court.

Danish

Referee
If you were late for work numerous times, a workplace can definitely go through a process where a sacking can be the end result.

They can sack me after warnings and such, yep.

they can’t dock my pay while keeping me employed though. That’s illegal everywhere

Danish

Referee
I mean, we had someone comparing the alleged incident to running laps earlier, pretending that they are somehow equivalent.

I don't think he will win this case though and agree with others that this will be settled outside court.

If you think being made to repeat wrestling drill is any tougher than running laps you haven’t run a hard lap in your life. I reckon if you gave the option to the NRL playing group to either wrestle their 30 man squad or run 30 x 400m repeats (both would equate to 30 x 1 min efforts or thereabouts) few would take up the running option.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

f**k me that's one of the most impressive Strawmen I've ever seen. Truly impressive hyperbole

nick87

Coach

Imagine if this guy had to work as a concreter in summer. He wouldn't have lasted a day as his feelings would have been so hurt.

A concreter wouldn’t last 30 f**king minutes in a professional sports environment haha
His (your) fat f**king lazy arse would die within 20 minutes of working hard

Those lazy arse f**ks would walk off the job
If they were asked to work half as hard as a pro athlete.
The actual f**k are you talking about?!

I beg of you
Go and do a pro athlete workout…
Darwin’s law will take care of your dumb arse