What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Vaealiki to Albi?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
robyalvaro said:
Big signing if true

Thats what I was thinking, he mightn't set the world on fire every week, but the guy can play when he wants to, he's a very good signing for them if it's true.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
06.03.1934 said:
He go to the union team :(

Bugger it, oh well, it's not going to help them and their comp seeing as they are signing players like this, some who have never played the game, the standard will not be very good.

They will end up killing their own game if they keep going. :D

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
If he's left league then we're the winner me thinks.

He has been nothing short of shocking for Wigan. He looked a decent player for Parra but since his injuries he really hasn't been the same player. Take the dymanism of old away and take his pace away and take all enthusiasm for the cause away, and stick him in a Wigan shirt and you see the Vaeliki that played in Super League. A complete waste of money, probably in the running with Michael Sullivan as the worst overseas player in Super League.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Mate of mine played for Albi a few years ago...

Vaeliki is definately well above second division level

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Hindyscrack said:
Mate of mine played for Albi a few years ago...

Vaeliki is definately well above second division level

Not if his heart wasn't in it, which it hasn't been despite earning a fortune at Wigan.

SCATOP

Juniors
David Vaealiki in albi is official for the next season (2008-2009) . albi is currently in the French championship (TOP 14 )

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Geez the French union mob are going all out to sign anyone who has picked up a Rugby ball, it can't be good for their comp.

Oh well, big enough fools them, the quality will not be that good if they continue this way seeing as some teams are paying Millions for Union super stars and others have to sign Leaguies who don't know the game, I can see a comp with a who's who of the top 4 and bugger the rest.

A bit like the English Premierleague.

Geez the French union mob are going all out to sign anyone who has picked up a Rugby ball, it can't be good for their comp.

Oh well, big enough fools them, the quality will not be that good if they continue this way seeing as some teams are paying Millions for Union super stars and others have to sign Leaguies who don't know the game, I can see a comp with a who's who of the top 4 and bugger the rest.

A bit like the English Premierleague.
What makes you think that David Vealiki hadn't played rugby union before ? The French rugby union comp now is the best it have been bofore . The French players playing alongside All Blacks and other international players will only improve their game . I thought you said leaguies were the best superhuman in any sports they play .:D

What makes you think that David Vealiki hadn't played rugby union before ? The French rugby union comp now is the best it have been bofore . The French players playing alongside All Blacks and other international players will only improve their game . I thought you said leaguies were the best superhuman in any sports they play .:D

the more the french raid NZ, the easier it will be for the NRL to take over turdy

vaeiliki has been playing reserve grade for manly in the NRL.

so yet again it shows that a reserve grade RL player is good enough for one of the top level union competitions in the world.

wycliff palu and rocky elsom arent a dieing breed,

the more the french raid NZ, the easier it will be for the NRL to take over turdy
Nice Dreams turdymessenger . The French raids on NZ is nothing compare to the Australian raids on Kiwi rugby league talents .

Let me see ! Vaealiki is a former Kiwi international, played superleague for wigan and NRL . I think Albi has got themselves a great deal there . Don't you think ?

ws that a reserve grade RL player is good enough for one of the top level union competitions in the world.

I think Wycliff and Elsom should be clad that they played reserve grade for Bulldogs and St George . Im sure there were millions of die hard rugby league players who wish they were even sign by a NRL club in the past or present .

vikingstorm

Juniors

of course french league suffered at the hands of nazi's in world war two and their co-conspirators the french rugby football union. we should educate our players about the monstrosity that rugby union has been, and in some parts still is.the french rugby union is now similar to jap rugby union in that it can attract world class union players.as we sell our media rights more effectively in future we must ensure that even average league players are not lost in the desolate swamplands of rugby union.

vikingstorm

Juniors

so yet again it shows that a reserve grade RL player is good enough for one of the top level union competitions in the world.

not only that dally but i work with several wigan fans and they were very very glad to get rid of vaeliki, purely because he was on a significant contract, probably based on past exploits. he was not in the top 25 super league centre (bare in mind we have 12 clubs in super league)

azazaz7

Juniors

I suppose what this deal does is show up the relative inadequacy of Union coaching in France (or at least at this level in France) versus coaching in League.

While Vaealiki may not be missed in terms of playing ability, his departure could have a knock-on affect down the line. Albi are among the weaker teams in the Top 14 and can't compete financially with bigger clubs like Stade Francais and Toulouse. For that reason, they're looking to pick up bargain basement players with some pedigree from another code to try compete. Vaealiaki follows on from Craig Gower's move to the Top 14 last year, also to a weaker club (Bayonne unless I'm mistaken). In my opinion, he's only going to France because Gower has been successful in his transition.

Assuming Vaealiki is even a moderate success which I'm sure he will be, it will almost certainly lead to more smaller French Union clubs plundering the NRL for affordable talent. At that point it won't be long before the clubs with large budgets (those I've mentioned plus Perpignan, Biarritz, Clermont, Toulon) come knocking seeking the services of top quality Origin players because they'll see the impact players from an NRL background are having on their league.

While NRL may be leaving Super 14 behind in Australia, another threat may be emerging in the shape of another code in Europe. The departure of Gower and Vaealiki may be just a trickle which leads to a flood of departures. Hopefully I'm overstating things and it doesn't come to that.