What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wallabies v All Blacks - Sydney

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'll shout you one Oz

go you good things
SM_banana.gif

Dumb. f**king dumb display of rugby by the ABs. I realize they like to play a running game, but for fecks sake sometimes you actually have to kick the ball! Especially in your own 20. Couldn't beleive we were trying to move the ball almost everytime in our own half instead of playing for a bit territory now and then. Sure enough we'd cough the ball up sooner or later in prime position for the Aussies to attack. The brains trust is surely lacking. Well done Wallabies and Deans, deserved the win, but f**k, the ABs need to grow a brain!

Agree...how many times do the Ab's try to run the ball from deep in their own half ???...I am sick of the boys playing unstructured risky rugby.

Aussie lead by example...take their chances when opportunities present and not trying to create something out of nothing.

Braid, Ellis, Kahui - have to go.

Micistm

Bench
Mixed emotions. Like most Cantabs I'm cheering on Robbie, but it's hard to see your Country doing so bad. Without some Carter brilliance that would have been woeful.

It may well be very different next week though. Henry should be a very worried man if he can't pull one out next week at home.

I'm loving the egg on the faces of our smug arrogant media people/cheerleaders, but sad as well.

christopher

Juniors
Im an unabashed NZ fan and to me that game, which was the best game of rugby i have seen in seven years, is why rugby union is inferior to league.

I enjoy rugby, i just prefer league, partyly because teams like the all blacks who play an exciting brand of union do not get the benefits. They throw the ball around, make great line breaks but never get the reward.

AUs just play boring sh*t, miss tackles (Giteau is terrible in defense at the fly half spot) but their defense from the set pieces and conservative play is rewarded with a win.

annoys me so much.

Luaki is just like his brother. Has immense ability and athleticism but just can't hold onto the ball when it counts.

Kahui did nothing. f**k him off. Carter sh*ts all over giteau. George smith is fantastic. Brad Thorn is immence.

shiznit

Coach
Well done to the wallibies... you guys stood up last night.

how rubbish were we last night... im sorry... we need a 2nd kicking option and another halfback... Ellis is rubbish.. what the f**k does he have against passing the ball off the deck. Ellis & Cowan are just too similar... we need someone who gives us different options.. Leonard or Weepu.

Weepu can also be used as a 2nd kicker... if i was Ted i would probably bring in Steven Brett to goto 12. nonu just doesnt take the pressure of DC like Maguer or McAlister did last year.

people need to remember that were rebuilding. weve lost 14 all blacks in the last year. we were always going to struggle. i just hope we can keep a hold of the bledisloe.

Mixed emotions. Like most Cantabs I'm cheering on Robbie, but it's hard to see your Country doing so bad. Without some Carter brilliance that would have been woeful.

It may well be very different next week though. Henry should be a very worried man if he can't pull one out next week at home.

I'm loving the egg on the faces of our smug arrogant media people/cheerleaders, but sad as well.

How will he pull this one out ??...the team looked directionless and the handling was woeful.

If he sticks with this side then Aussie will be loving it big time...

Thomas

First Grade
Im an unabashed NZ fan and to me that game, which was the best game of rugby i have seen in seven years, is why rugby union is inferior to league.

Same.

AUs just play boring sh*t,

Do they? News to me.

miss tackles (Giteau is terrible in defense at the fly half spot)

Giteau had a blinder...made some awesome tackles. Carter snuck through a couple of times...but 5/8's don't mark their opposite numbers in slide defense. Those missed tackles were aussie forwards.

Besides, pretty sure the AB's missed more tackles than the Aussies.

Berrick Barnes had a blinder. So much for all those posters who thought Nonu would be too big for him.

but their defense from the set pieces and conservative play is rewarded with a win.

The Aussie set pieces got a "pass mark" and only just. A couple of scrums against the feed and they need to work on it.

Where Australia won the game was at the ruck....because McCaw was missing. There isn't a player in NZ who can even match McCaw...Braid was as useless as tits on a bull because his tight 5 didn't back him up.

The Aussie front row completely outplayed the AB's...especially at the breakdown.

And I know you said you like to see the ball thrown around...but you need the grinding stuff as well. All the great NZ teams of the past have always had that flair...but they've had a great set of forwards as well.

The NZ forwards didn't even turn up on Saturday.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Thomas said:
Giteau had a blinder...made some awesome tackles. Carter snuck through a couple of times...but 5/8's don't mark their opposite numbers in slide defense. Those missed tackles were aussie forwards.
Giteau was completly outplayed by Carter, and yes some of those missed takles were Giteau, the only thing he did better was his kicking, and that i think was more a gameplan issue.
Thomas said:
Besides, pretty sure the AB's missed more tackles than the Aussies.
that is true but the real difference s that while the AB's made so many more line breaks then Aus they didnt do anything with it
Thomas said:
Berrick Barnes had a blinder. So much for all those posters who thought Nonu would be too big for him.
Both were quiet, cant see how barnes had a blinder at all, neither stood out.
Thomas said:
The Aussie set pieces got a "pass mark" and only just. A couple of scrums against the feed and they need to work on it.
The Aussie front row has improved but still is a very week link
Thomas said:
Where Australia won the game was at the ruck....because McCaw was missing. There isn't a player in NZ who can even match McCaw...Braid was as useless as tits on a bull because his tight 5 didn't back him up.
thats the big differnce.. had mcgaw been there it would have been a dfferent story.
Thomas said:
The Aussie front row completely outplayed the AB's...especially at the breakdown.
tthat should read ONLY at the breakdown... they still can barely scrumage
Thomas said:
And I know you said you like to see the ball thrown around...but you need the grinding stuff as well. All the great NZ teams of the past have always had that flair...but they've had a great set of forwards as well.
The NZ forwards didn't even turn up on Saturday.
It would have worked with a decent openside and Rodders at 8... the loosies where just too slow... and thats not even includeing how much ball Luaki dropped.

Thomas

First Grade
Giteau was completly outplayed by Carter, and yes some of those missed takles were Giteau, the only thing he did better was his kicking, and that i think was more a gameplan issue.

Yeah he was outplayed by Carter...but Carter was easily the best AB on the paddock that night.

that is true but the real difference s that while the AB's made so many more line breaks then Aus they didnt do anything with it

Very true. The support play was crap. Carter would make a break but the support wouldn't be there and the Aussies pilfered the ball back. Very poor from the kiwis.

Cant see how barnes had a blinder at all, neither stood out.

Barnes was the official man of the match. Perhaps you didn't see him that much. His defence was superb. He made some crunching tackles and provides another option for the backs.

His best game in gold so far.

The Aussie front row has improved but still is a very week link

Not as bad as previously. In the loose they absolutely outplayed the ABs. Some of the hits Baxter and Robinson put on were huge.

thats the big differnce.. had mcgaw been there it would have been a dfferent story.

Yeah, he might have dragged the forwards up with him....MIGHT. Smith also had a blinder.

tthat should read ONLY at the breakdown... they still can barely scrumage

They did okay in the scrums but excelled in the loose, and lets face it there are more rucks than scrums right?

It would have worked with a decent openside and Rodders at 8... the loosies where just too slow... and thats not even includeing how much ball Luaki dropped.

Braid was completely out of his depth. Would Thompson have made a difference? Luaki will never wear the AB jersey after that match...but I hope he does. Possibly the worst I have ever seen an AB play.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Giteau had a pretty good game, although Carter used him as a speed bump a few times

Carter is pure class and he showed it, easily the kiwi's best I thought

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Time for Lauaki to switch to league

He'd STILL be better than his brother.

Frustrating match as the ABs basically did enough to win but let themselves down in a few areas:

1: forwards too swlow to the breakdown (no McCaw)
2: Nonu seemed to be back to the kind of player he was 3 years ago, too much high risk stuff in his own half
3: Lauaki is utterly sh*t

Plus the officials gave a big-time leg-up to the Wallabies, binning Thorn for an offence that should have only been a penalty and completely missing the penalty try to the ABs which also could have cost the Wallabies a sin-binning.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Whilst I hate to say this...I cannot see NZ getting close to Aus next week.

Disagree. The ABs could have easily won that but shot themselves in the foot and can play a LOT better. I can't see the Wallabies having much room for improvement.

Next week:

1: bring back McCaw if he's fit.
2: drop Lauaki
3: drop Kahui for Conrad Smith (Nonu's lucky to stay but I'd keep him as he works well with Smith)

Parra

Referee
Plus the officials gave a big-time leg-up to the Wallabies, binning Thorn for an offence that should have only been a penalty and completely missing the penalty try to the ABs which also could have cost the Wallabies a sin-binning.

Have to agree - but Thorn's offence was always going to get him in the bin.

The impact of both decisions was enough to ensure the Aussie win.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Have to agree - but Thorn's offence was always going to get him in the bin.

The impact of both decisions was enough to ensure the Aussie win.

The Thorn one by itself I'm not too gutted about- but when added up with the other decision it's a bit hard to swallow. The offcials should be shot for missing the penalty try, instead they seemed more concerned with questioning a legal substitution.