What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World cup bid, what would it mean to the NRL?

Bricey

Juniors
I was having a few beers with a mate last night and we got onto the subject of the FFA's World Cup bid. It would have a massive impact on the NRL during the season of the cup, and I cant see any other way than holting the season for 6-9 weeks

Looking at the stadiums we currently have, we worked out that 10 of the 16 clubs would have no ground to play on. The grounds we think they will us are

Dairy Farmers (Nth Qld)
Suncorp (Bris)
Skilled Park (Gld Cst)
Energy Australia (Ncstle)
Homebush (Tigers, Dogs Souths)
SFS (Roosters, Souths)
Win Stadium (Dragons)
Melbournes new ground (storm)

That leaves just a few clubs that could even consider playing a game on thier ground.

But each of the 32 World cup Nations would need training facilities, so that rules out Penrtih, Parra, Cronulla, Canberra and Manly.

Following Ben Buckley's logic this week with the discussion for use of the MCG and its implications on the AFL, they would need the stadium for 4 weeks prior to the tournament and then for the duration. The 2010 Cup in South africa will go for a tick under 5 weeks.

Clubs are saying that lost revenue would be an obvious issue. I have heard a figure in the media this week of $100 million in compensations for NRL clubs, but surely that figure will come down to less than 1/2 that. $3 million to each club is $48 million.

Its a once in a lifetime event. Love to know what people think. Personally, I think 6-9 weeks of no competition is a great price to pay for the infrastructure that will be left behind for the NRL to use.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Its a once in a lifetime event. Love to know what people think. Personally, I think 6-9 weeks of no competition is a great price to pay for the infrastructure that will be left behind for the NRL to use.

that and a giant big wad of cash... FFA stand to well over a 1bil, i've read estimates that the tournament offers up profits to the tune of 6-7bil.

I see no reason why, say... 500mil cant be coming our way as compensation for the disruption and the lose of revenue, expossure, etc.

So yes, the infrastructure.... and a giant big wad of cash. :)

But each of the 32 World cup Nations would need training facilities, so that rules out Penrtih, Parra, Cronulla, Canberra and Manly.

Cronulla own their own ground and can't be forced to leave but I'm sure they'll happily rent it out. Broncos can play at QEII, . I'm more than happy for Easts to play at Henson. I also like the idea that's been doing the rounds on here that suggests teams go regional. It'll do the game's grass roots the world of good.

Raider_69

Post Whore
6-7 billion revenue for the country not ffa or fifa

Dont care who it goes too. We're being put out big time, and if they want this to go ahead with smooth sailing and no lingering issues as the bid proceeds... who ever that 7 billion is going to, had better open the purse strings for the AFL and NRL. :)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You deadset couldn't ask that question in one of the 50 other threads about the same topic? :sleeper:

ozjet1

there may very well be a couple of seasons of inconvenience.

but the long-term benefits will be great.........the updates to NRL venues in NSW & QLD be great for rugby league.

Raider_69

Post Whore
there may very well be a couple of seasons of inconvenience.

Exactly, and that should be well and truely factored in when we sit down and talk how many zero's are being tacted on to the compensation figure.

Lambretta

First Grade
I was talking to my wife about the World Cup coming here and the disruption to the NRL etc and she said "oh, they'll just start two weeks earlier and finish 2 weeks later and have a mid season break.

They'll still play the same number of games or maybe a couple less and no one will notice the difference

Gotta say - she has a point.

Remember, 1st year is only a 4 week break - so that works -
2nd year is an 8 week break - but only a couple of grounds are not accessible for the full 8 weeks. Most grounds will be back in use after 4 anyway.

Lambretta

First Grade
What were you drinking ?

I just had one of those VB Raw beers.
You know the low carb Dry beer. Tastes like Carlton Dry to me. I reckon they've just re-packaged Carlton Dry in a new bottle.

It has the slogan "brewed with nothing artificial" on it.

So I imagine that enourmous great big whopping steel f**king drums for brewing beer in just grow naturally somewhere in Victoria? :p

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking at the stadiums we currently have, we worked out that 10 of the 16 clubs would have no ground to play on. The grounds we think they will us are

Dairy Farmers (Nth Qld) Yes
Suncorp (Bris) Yes
Skilled Park (Gld Cst) No
Energy Australia (Ncstle) Yes
Homebush (Tigers, Dogs Souths) Yes
SFS (Roosters, Souths) Yes
Win Stadium (Dragons) Possibly
Melbournes new ground (storm) No

That leaves just a few clubs that could even consider playing a game on thier ground.

They need 9-12 40,000+

I would suggest they will use:

NSW
SFS
ANZ
redeveloped Newcastle
then one of Parra, Penrith, Gosford or Woolongong depending on which is easiest and cheapest to upgrade

Vic
MCG
Etihad

WA
redeveloped Subiaco

SA
redeveloped AAMI Stadium

ACT
redeveloped Bruce

Q'land
Suncorp
redeveloped Dairy Farmers

That still leaves over 10 suitable stadiums in Australia the NRL could use plus 5 or 6 in NZ. What's the problem?

Last edited:
For our World Cup bid to be successful, we need 10 stadium that hold 40,000+. Then I think we need two 60,000 seat stadiums for the semi finals and the final needs to be 80,000.

NSW

ANZ Stadium- 90,000 (if 'plan' goes ahead)
Sydney Football Stadium- 45,500
EnergyAustralia Stadium- 45,000 (when expanded)
Campbelltown Stadium- 40,000 (if 'plan goes ahead)

Queensland

Suncorp Stadium- 52,500
Skilled Park- 40,000 +
Dairy Farmers Stadium- 40,000 + (Massive Re-Development)

Victoria

MCG- 100,000 (or Possibly one of the other Melbourne Stadiums)

ACT

Canberra Stadium- 40,000 + (expansion/new stadium required)

Western Australia

Subiaco Oval- 43,500 (Needs to be upgraded)

South Australia

Adelaide Oval- 50,000 (if 'plan' goes ahead)

Round of 16 Hosts

ANZ Stadium
Sydney Football Stadium
MCG
Suncorp Stadium
EnergyAustralia Stadium
Canberra Stadium
Adelaide Oval
Skilled Park

Quarter Final Hosts

ANZ Stadium
Suncorp Stadium
MCG
Sydney Football Stadium

Semi Final Hosts

ANZ Stadium
MCG

Final Host

ANZ Stadium

*The bottom line is, we will need to build some new stadiums.

take some games to regional areas like Wagga, Coffs Harbour, Armidale etc ?
teams could even re-locate for a month to a regional area.
Have Double headers as well.
Sure the crowd numbers will be down but the TV ratings will still be ok and get some $ from FFA to help us for lost revenue and it'll be sweet!

Scorpio30

Bench
Venues are:

QLD: Lang Park (refurb)
Townsville (refurb)
Carrara (New)

NSW: "Western Sydney" (New)
SFS (Existing)
Stadium Australia (refurb)
Newcastle (refurb)

ACT: Bruce Stadium (New)

Victoria: Docklands (Existing)
MCG (Existing)

SA: Adelaide Oval (Existing)

WA: Perth

Gaba

First Grade
But what about long term , fair enough it may fix a very short term, look at the countrys who host the world cups , after the world cup they havent been financial better off.

Continuing to maintain the grounds which are upgrade for the world cup are going to come at a very big price for clubs and supporters..

IMO world cup is not really going to help Australia in the long term

Last edited:

Bomber

Bench
There is no chance of World Cup games being played in NZ.
FIFA doesn't want co-hosts of the World Cup after difficulties in organising the 2002 WC in Korea/Japan.
There is also the issue that Australia and New Zealand are now in different confederations.

Australia may not even get the 2018 or 2022 World cups, so we're possibly getting worried/excited for nothing!

Loudstrat

Coach
Venues are:

QLD: Lang Park (refurb)
Townsville (refurb)
Carrara (New)

NSW: "Western Sydney" (New)
SFS (Existing)
Stadium Australia (refurb)
Newcastle (refurb)

ACT: Bruce Stadium (New)

Victoria: Docklands (Existing)
MCG (Existing)

SA: Adelaide Oval (Existing)

WA: Perth

What would the NRL get out of this?

In terms of grounds - upgrades do not excite me one bit.

Lang Park does not need refurbishing.

Dairy Farmers does - but what good would a 40k stadium do in Townsville when League could never fill it?

Carrara - advantage to AFL given we just built Robina - and if Carrara was rectangular either that or Robina would become a white elephant.

We need bigger stadiums like a hole in the head. There are enough empty seats at NRL games at ANZ and SFS as it is that bring ridicule on our code - unfairly - because a good 20k crowd there is lost compared to if it was at Leichhardt, Parra or Kogarah for example - with great atmosphere from a packed house.

The Raiders struggle to fill Canberra Stadium as it is.

A new 40k stadium in WS is needed like a hole in the head. Who would use it?

We could move the comp forward a month - start on the Australia day weekend - and finish in early November. There goes our international schedule for 2 years. There also goes player welfare as we play in summer heat - people bake at ANZ waiting for the GF to start as it is.

All of a sudden we are playing in the cricket season.

If soccer Australia want to demand comps reschedule, then start with Fifa - play the soccer world cup in October-November, and get the EPL to move it's schedule.

If Soccer want this, Soccer has to be flexible. If soccer is inflexible, then sod off.

Scorpio30

Bench
What would the NRL get out of this?

In terms of grounds - upgrades do not excite me one bit.

Lang Park does not need refurbishing.

Dairy Farmers does - but what good would a 40k stadium do in Townsville when League could never fill it?

Carrara - advantage to AFL given we just built Robina - and if Carrara was rectangular either that or Robina would become a white elephant.

We need bigger stadiums like a hole in the head. There are enough empty seats at NRL games at ANZ and SFS as it is that bring ridicule on our code - unfairly - because a good 20k crowd there is lost compared to if it was at Leichhardt, Parra or Kogarah for example - with great atmosphere from a packed house.

The Raiders struggle to fill Canberra Stadium as it is.

A new 40k stadium in WS is needed like a hole in the head. Who would use it?

We could move the comp forward a month - start on the Australia day weekend - and finish in early November. There goes our international schedule for 2 years. There also goes player welfare as we play in summer heat - people bake at ANZ waiting for the GF to start as it is.

All of a sudden we are playing in the cricket season.

If soccer Australia want to demand comps reschedule, then start with Fifa - play the soccer world cup in October-November, and get the EPL to move it's schedule.

If Soccer want this, Soccer has to be flexible. If soccer is inflexible, then sod off.

Lang Park doesnt need refurbishing but it is marked for a semi, which requires 66,000 seats (gross).

Townsville would be a legacy of 25k...the other 15k would be temporary seating.

Robina can not be expanded so temporary seating to Carrara.

All in all a lot of venue seating is temporary.