What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players you rated who ended up dissapointing you

Evil Homer

Staff member
Troy Wozniak and Willie Manu for the Tigers. Would have liked to have seen either / both of them in a team with decent halves.
Wozniak was a horrible player, one of the worst imports to have played in Super League.

skeepe

Immortal
Charlie Leaneo, went well for a while there at Saints, had the god given gift of size and strength, lacked tackling technique but didn't need it, he just had to get in the road of the other player and throw his arms at them such was the size.
I believe he went to the doggies and ended up playing in a lower grade grand final in the season just gone.

He may still become something, but maybe he lacks to natural anger and balls to be all he could have been.

Someone connected to the Dragons once told me Charlie's knees would stop him from ever becoming a first grader, and that he can't walk for a day or two after a match because they are so bad.

I don't know how true it is, but as it came from a teammate of his at the time, I have no reason not to believe it.

footy1

Juniors
Brett Anderson and Shannon Walker are my picks. Brett Anderson a few years back was probably the most hyped up kid by the media I've seen. I saw him play a few times as well and god was he good. He had future international written all over him. He then couldn't make the cut for first grade and it's always puzzled me why. He was always a class above everyone he played against.

Shannon Walker is the other one who has disappointed. I've seen him play many times and he is not what he use to be. He just doesn't seem to want to work hard for a spot in the NRL team and that's a massive shame. He is great when he is on song but that's not mich these days. If he can get in the right frame of mind, he will dominate the NRL.

Hanscholo

Bench
Any Half Back Ricky Stuart has ever coached.

Joe Williams is right up there as one of the most talented players ive seen that went nowhere. Probably the best kicking game I have ever seen on a player of that age.

Craig Field, prior to his stints at manly and Wests was a real talent, could do anything and would carve up sides on a regular basis. Then lost confidence, got into things he shouldnt have and ended up a very poor footballer.

Sione faumauina. I watched this bloke play 4-5 games for Auckland some time ago. It was enough to convince me he was the most talented back rower in the game. From that point on he went backwards in pretty much every game.

Jason Ryles, physically talented but just too dumb.

Ben Rogers. A gifted footballer, posses everything a footballer would ever want but something is missing in this guys brain.

Mathew Johns. Was initially vastly more talented than Andrew, possessed great footwork and speed. Lost his legs in his mid 20's and couldnt adapt his game well enough to make up for it.

Just on Kade Snowden. He made is first grade debut far earlier than he should have in a Knights side riddled with injuries. He didnt play well for us, has a load of talent and is slowly improving. I wouldnt give up on him just yet, but if he does fail then Newcastle should really take a lot of the blame for his mis-managment at a young age.

Terrence Seu Seu. When he was playing Jersey Flegg for the Knights I was sitting there thinking "you beauty, no need to buy a replacement for Bedsy". Since then he has been sacked by us, did nothing for the Sharks, and is now sitting at the bar at the Last Chance Saloon at Manly.

NAS

Juniors
Joe Williams could have been anything, as could have Matthew Head and Brett Firman. All were the star halves of their age group who just couldn't go on with it......

Ali Lauititi for mine has to be one of the greatest waste of talents that the game has ever seen.....I think Frank Pritchard will end up the same way.

In his first two seasons, Braith Anasta was looking like he could be Wally Lewis and Andrew Johns combined........Whilst he's had a decent career, he's not quite lived up to the potential that he had earlier in his career.....He's never seemed to put in when the chips have been down.

But hands down, the greatest waste of talent of all time was a bloke by the name of Owen Craigie........He could have been absolutely anything, made the australian schoolboys for three straight years, and leaving Newcastle, had the wraps of being the games next great player.........

Went to Wests and floundered. Picked up by souths and floundered more......Just never had the will........

jc155776

Coach
That's right. It's four years after he made first grade. That suggests he should be up to it by now. But I did say that he had plenty of time to improve.

Snowden will be SoO bolter this year. He had a massive year lsat year, big metres, lots of tackles,huge minutes.

Michael Sullivan dissapointed me. Was an absolute gun off the bench, then went to England and never was the same.

Paul Franze was going to be great before a knee injury ended him. Never came back the same.

Donald Malone for the Cows dissapointed me this year, was a great Q Cup player, hasn't stepped up.

footy1

Juniors
Joe Williams could have been anything, as could have Matthew Head and Brett Firman. All were the star halves of their age group who just couldn't go on with it......

Ali Lauititi for mine has to be one of the greatest waste of talents that the game has ever seen.....I think Frank Pritchard will end up the same way.

In his first two seasons, Braith Anasta was looking like he could be Wally Lewis and Andrew Johns combined........Whilst he's had a decent career, he's not quite lived up to the potential that he had earlier in his career.....He's never seemed to put in when the chips have been down.

But hands down, the greatest waste of talent of all time was a bloke by the name of Owen Craigie........He could have been absolutely anything, made the australian schoolboys for three straight years, and leaving Newcastle, had the wraps of being the games next great player.........

Went to Wests and floundered. Picked up by souths and floundered more......Just never had the will........

I forgot about Owen Craigie. He takes out this thread. He had the POTENTIAL to be better than even Andrew Johns but he had a bad attitude and didn't realise the talent he had. I saw glimpses of his potential and he showed enough to me to suggest that had he got his attitude right, he'd be Darren Lockyer at the moment.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ahmed Bajori (spelling)
Daniel Fitzhenry
Ben Duckworth
Lincoln Raudonikis
Scott Coxon
Jamie Oljenik (spelling)
Gary Winter
Syd Eru

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Michael Weyman.
Schoolboys captain, Junior Roos and looked awesome in early appearances in 03/04(games against the Warriors spring to mind).
Injury after injury hampered his development and when he finally started to string some games together he was full of agro and prone to brain snaps.
I'm happy he is finally reaching his potential, I just wish it was for us :(

Rogue.9

Juniors
Josh Cordoba
Tim Smith
Adam Dykes
Justin Tsoulos
Tony Williams
Weller Hauraki
Taulima Tautai
Jack Afamasaga
Mark Riddell
Michael Witt

coolumsharkie

Referee
Russel Richardson. He had one good season and then dropped the ball on the line in a semi and was never the same player after.

The Colonel

Immortal
Brett Anderson and Shannon Walker are my picks. Brett Anderson a few years back was probably the most hyped up kid by the media I've seen. I saw him play a few times as well and god was he good. He had future international written all over him. He then couldn't make the cut for first grade and it's always puzzled me why. He was always a class above everyone he played against.

Blowing his knee out for the Queensland Under 19's didn't do him any favours...... took him nearly eighteen months to get through the operations and then the complications afterwards.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Snowden will be SoO bolter this year. He had a massive year lsat year, big metres, lots of tackles,huge minutes.

Michael Sullivan dissapointed me. Was an absolute gun off the bench, then went to England and never was the same.

Paul Franze was going to be great before a knee injury ended him. Never came back the same.

Donald Malone for the Cows dissapointed me this year, was a great Q Cup player, hasn't stepped up.

Didn't he only get one or two games in the NRL last year ?

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Anyone saying Snowden is on drugs. The guy was fantastic last year and thats why he is being talked about as a possible rep player. He is only 22, and he and his other 22 yo front row partner are two of the best talents in there position around for there age.

My first thought would be John Doyle. Injury cruelled this guy but boy did he have some talent.

John Buttigieg- after that awesome origin he and webb never did all that much.

Steve Michaels- I always thought between he and boyd the broncos made the right choice choosing the tougher player better cut out for first grade. His last season was tripe.