What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies You Dont Understand Why Everyone Raves About Them

MSIH

Bench
There's something about Mary

Personally I thought it should have been called "there's something wrong with our script writers - (working title) they appear to have had labotomies".

That's pretty funny...

I can see why you didn't like it with attempted humour like that. Great movie.

Lambretta

First Grade
That's pretty funny...

I can see why you didn't like it with attempted humour like that. Great movie.

You have a South Park avatar, so you obviously have great taste. But you did miss the point of my joke (ie that it was crap - like the movie). Not only was it a crap joke but I went on and explained it dragging it out and killing it. The thing I hated about the movie.

Like the thread suggests - most people love it. I just dont get it.

Spending 20 minutes with a penis caught in a zip does not a good joke make. It's just dragging a scene out for 20 minutes that could be over in 2.

I just didn't get it and I'd seen all the jokes or versions of them at least 15 years earlier in the UK. They were old hat and rather lame.

Last edited:

Phillips

Referee
i didnt think Something About Mary was funny either.. than again, Ben stiller movies usually arent.. tropic thunder, meet the parents, zoolander, starsky and hutch etc.

Big Pete

Referee
There's Something About Mary would have to be one of my favourite guilty pleasure films. It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but I found the characters interesting and for the most part likeable.

"Brett Farvrah"

Moffo

Referee
any ben stiller or robin williams movies. ffs, seriously. adam sandler is in that mix as well

the day the earth stood still is one of the worst movies ever made. how about speed? stupid one dimensional concept and a predictable story. ffs

whilst i liked avatar it wasn't quite what i thought it would be

Chook Herron

Juniors
All a matter of personal taste. I have a tendency to enjoy movies which requires the viewer to look beyond what is being portrayed on the screen. Generally movies which people don't like because they can't understand them. Mullholland Drive, Donnie Darko, Revolver and the like. Even so, the Matrix still sucks

Big Pete

Referee
^ I thought the original Matrix did a nice job of catering to every audience. It certainly wasn't Citizen Kane in terms of innovation but an enjoyable sci-fi/action.

Moffo

Referee
most jim carrey movies suck balls actually...me myself and irene and cable guy are two exceptions

i agree with the comments on no place for old men...sh*ttttt

gran torino was a pile of poo as well. eastwood needs to hang his acting boots up

hrundi99

First Grade
I think this thread shows that most filmgoers have a rather simplistic or pre-determined view of what makes a good movie. They decide to see a movie and set themselves up for what they think it should be like. It's a shame because if you open your mind a bit you may get more out of some of the higher rated movies which you claim "suck". There doesn't seem to be a lot of scope for subtlety.

People complaining about Downey Jr's accent in Tropic Thunder are missing the point. It's supposed to be average. It's sarcasm. You shouldn't take everything at face value.

You have a South Park avatar, so you obviously have great taste. But you did miss the point of my joke (ie that it was crap - like the movie). Not only was it a crap joke but I went on and explained it dragging it out and killing it. The thing I hated about the movie.

Like the thread suggests - most people love it. I just dont get it.

Spending 20 minutes with a penis caught in a zip does not a good joke make. It's just dragging a scene out for 20 minutes that could be over in 2.

I just didn't get it and I'd seen all the jokes or versions of them at least 15 years earlier in the UK. They were old hat and rather lame.

The "I work with geniuss" line from Pat Healy aka Matt Dillon, was fcking funny, if you ask me. (In a politically incorrect sort of way)

Coaster

Bench
"The Hangover"

Seriously i have had bigger nights out then that, i do not see why people thought this so funny

beave

Coach
The matrix.

Keanu Reeves is the $hittest actor on the face of the earth, how anyone found that movie remotely decent is beyond me.