What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple J Hottest 100 2009

Danish

Referee
Me too fishy....

Sign of my age that I don't know plenty of the Top 100 bands from a bar of soap.

Don't know that it should have been number 1 but having listened to Mumford and sons album today I don't mind em.

Looking forward to the top 100 CD

Apey

Staff member
I listened to the top 10 and hated pretty much every single one, bleh. I was born in the wrong era.

skeepe

Immortal
Worst hottest 100 ever. Apart from Muse and Kasabian, that countdown had no good songs at all.

Little Lion Man, Coin Laundry, Resistance, I Want You To, And The Boys, Cousins, Blood and Panic Switch are the only songs I found anywhere near listenable.

Can't believe some of that top ten.

fish eel

Immortal
Me too fishy....

Sign of my age that I don't know plenty of the Top 100 bands from a bar of soap.

Don't know that it should have been number 1 but having listened to Mumford and sons album today I don't mind em.

Looking forward to the top 100 CD

It's not so much age, but the fact Triple J has morphed and changed over the years to the extent, where it was a staple for me trhoughout the 90s I hardly ever listen now. Seems whenever I flick over I'm hearing hip hop or some electronic rubbish.

I find that I heard plenty of new music without the need for radio anymore.

Mumford and Sons are OK from what I've heard, but not great. I'd question whether they'd got the number one without that line about f**king it up.

As a big lover of Alt Country music, it's pretty funny to read reviews of Mumford that describe them as 'nu folk'. WTF is that? :lol:

Danish

Referee
It's not so much age, but the fact Triple J has morphed and changed over the years to the extent, where it was a staple for me trhoughout the 90s I hardly ever listen now. Seems whenever I flick over I'm hearing hip hop or some electronic rubbish.

Sounds precisely like an age problem to me ;-)

I find that I heard plenty of new music without the need for radio anymore.

As do I, however I tend to gravitate towards new music by bands that are replicating the styles of bands I have always liked.

Listening to triple J and other radio tends to open up new genres that I hadn't listened to in the past, which is good.

Mumford and Sons are OK from what I've heard, but not great. I'd question whether they'd got the number one without that line about f**king it up.

As a big lover of Alt Country music, it's pretty funny to read reviews of Mumford that describe them as 'nu folk'. WTF is that? :lol:

They are just good background music I think.

Listened to them in the car this morning on the way to work and it was good easy listening which while not necessarily being upbeat can put a smile on your face. Kind of like the Shins in that regard, although obviously quite different musically.

I've no doubt that they wouldn't have got the no.1 without the nice little swear word in the chorus Triple J love playing songs with a bit of cursing in them to show how "edgy" they are after all.

fish eel

Immortal
Sounds precisely like an age problem to me ;-)

Not listening to triple j because of the increasing amount of hip hop electronic based music they play has more to do with a dislike of that genre than anything else

As do I, however I tend to gravitate towards new music by bands that are replicating the styles of bands I have always liked.

Listening to triple J and other radio tends to open up new genres that I hadn't listened to in the past, which is good.

Yeah, I hear get new music by keeping my ear to the ground, listening to FBI 94.5 now and then and checking out stuff that gets positive reviews from some critics who seem to be on my wave length etc.

They are just good background music I think.

Listened to them in the car this morning on the way to work and it was good easy listening which while not necessarily being upbeat can put a smile on your face. Kind of like the Shins in that regard, although obviously quite different musically.

I've no doubt that they wouldn't have got the no.1 without the nice little swear word in the chorus Triple J love playing songs with a bit of cursing in them to show how "edgy" they are after all.

Yeah, if triple j were really edgy there's heaps of other bands/artists that could be considered 'edgy' rather than a band who are so edgy they f-bomb and have a banjo. :sarcasm:

Danish

Referee
Not listening to triple j because of the increasing amount of hip hop electronic based music they play has more to do with a dislike of that genre than anything else

Obviously.

However the dislike of the genre is largely due to our age (I actually like electro but hip hop not so much). Younger generations like hip hop and electronic music, and triple J has always catered to youth.

As such, as we get older and our music tates begin to grow further and further apart from what youth enjoy, Triple J will become less enjoyable.

Yeah, I hear get new music by keeping my ear to the ground, listening to FBI 94.5 now and then and checking out stuff that gets positive reviews from some critics who seem to be on my wave length etc.

Yeah I have 3-4 radio stations which I force myself to listen to for a couple hours each week listening for any new stuff that I like. I then google them, find similar bands and go from there.

Yeah, if triple j were really edgy there's heaps of other bands/artists that could be considered 'edgy' rather than a band who are so edgy they f-bomb and have a banjo. :sarcasm:

That about sums it up.

Kill Her by Soko from a few years ago was a much cooler "edgy"-type song that Triple J pushed big time.

skeepe

Immortal
Triple J just don't play enough rock like they used to. It's been replaced with electro claptrap, wanky sh*t like Arcade Fire and slow, sleep-inducing music where the artist thought they would sound really cool if they put, like 10 layers of echo on their voice.

They play too many songs that the announcer can call "a gorgeous little track".

Bring back the rock!

fish eel

Immortal
Obviously.

However the dislike of the genre is largely due to our age (I actually like electro but hip hop not so much). Younger generations like hip hop and electronic music, and triple J has always catered to youth.

As such, as we get older and our music tates begin to grow further and further apart from what youth enjoy, Triple J will become less enjoyable.

Oh, I really, really disagree with that. I never liked it when I was young and I dont like it now. Never went nightclubbing back in the day, never owned a hip hop CD. Nor did my circle of friends.

I like some bands, and always have who have an electronic influence, but even so, they're generally bands have a basis in guitars, or atleast guitar based song writing.

That about sums it up.

Kill Her by Soko from a few years ago was a much cooler "edgy"-type song that Triple J pushed big time.

and Soko is f**king hot to boot.

Saw her at the Oxford Arts Factory when she came out.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Here's an idea, don't like it, don't listen ;-)

Everyone has different tastes, tried respecting that?