What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple J Hottest 100 2009

Danish

Referee
Oh, I really, really disagree with that. I never liked it when I was young and I dont like it now. Never went nightclubbing back in the day, never owned a hip hop CD. Nor did my circle of friends.

I like some bands, and always have who have an electronic influence, but even so, they're generally bands have a basis in guitars, or atleast guitar based song writing.

You are actually proving my point fishy.

I've never liked hip hop either. Its not my scene. I grew up in the 90s when rock was no.1. As such, my musical tastes tend to lean towards that.

Kids growing up now when electro is the dominant genre, so most people in the 15-20 y.o age bracket tend to lean towards that style of music.

It happened to previous generations and is now happening to us. We've moved away from Triple J because the music doesn't suit us. Soon enough we'll start we'll start listening to WSFM because the music we like will fall into the "classic" category.

and Soko is f**king hot to boot.

Saw her at the Oxford Arts Factory when she came out.

She certainly is. Bunny boilers normally are

skeepe

Immortal
It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with taste.

ie, my taste is superb and anyone who likes electro has shocking taste.

Danish I grew up in the 90's too and you can't seriously tell me that there wasn't a major hip-hop scene then? The early 90's was ALL hip-hop. It wasn't until later that rock took over with bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam coming to the fore.

There are still some amazing rock bands out there now completely ignored by Triple J, even in this country. Triple J have changed their focus majorly and have ignored many of the under-appreciated local acts in favour of undeserving tripe from overseas that they think is "cool".

fish eel

Immortal
It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with taste.

ie, my taste is superb and anyone who likes electro has shocking taste.

Danish I grew up in the 90's too and you can't seriously tell me that there wasn't a major hip-hop scene then? The early 90's was ALL hip-hop. It wasn't until later that rock took over with bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam coming to the fore.

There are still some amazing rock bands out there now completely ignored by Triple J, even in this country. Triple J have changed their focus majorly and have ignored many of the under-appreciated local acts in favour of undeserving tripe from overseas that they think is "cool".

Yep.

The change of focus started when Arnold Frollows left the position of music director in the early 200s.

Danish, I wouldnt say it's new that electro is a big genre. Not the most dominant, the most dominant is your pop. Electro, dance music whatever you want to call it has ALWAYS been popular, but the most dominant?

Have a look at the line up from last years Glastonbury festival.

Arguably, dominated by guitar based bands

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster/

Red Bear

Referee
Richard Kingsmill loves his electro sh*te unfortunately, as well as the flooding of Aus Hip-hop into the market.

I also think that the creation of specialty programs (eg short fast loud) has seen less and less punk/punk influenced music played on the radio during the day, less of the metal etc. WHich is why i question the need for a specialty program for hip hop and for electronica, when that all gets given heavy rotation during the day.

Flapper

First Grade
Here's an idea, don't like it, don't listen ;-)

Everyone has different tastes, tried respecting that?

JJJ don't respect the taste of anyone who dares to listen to commercial radio if their constant ads bagging out commercial radio through the H100 are anything to go by, so why should we respect what they do?

While they play a lot of the same songs as Nova, whilst claiming the hipster high ground and spitting on them for playing THE EXACT SAME SONGS AS THEY PLAY (which the listeners of both Nova and JJJ seem to enjoy) I think tearing the H100 a new one is fair game.

Flapper

First Grade
they're all great.

especially Sloan. Great live act as well. Seen 'em twice.

Sloan are fantastic from what I've heard, but I can never seem to find many of their albums, and I'm not a big internet shopper as of yet :( The Canadian Beatles indeed.

I'll also throw my weight behind Teenage Fanclub. Songs From Northern Britain is my favourite album. All of which I got for under $5 a piece :D

Last edited:

Cletus

First Grade
I was a bit dissapointed by the lack of Ladyhawke in there, and I thought Mumford and Sons are a bit sh*t. But I've always liked hip hop so I've never really noticed more of it on JJJ. The only one I hear regularly are the Hill Top Hoods.

fish eel

Immortal
Sloan are fantastic from what I've heard, but I can never seem to find many of their albums, and I'm not a big internet shopper as of yet :( The Canadian Beatles indeed.

If you're in Sydney - Red Eye records at King St often have them.

Sloan also have a new website which streams their stuff.

I'll also throw my weight behind Teenage Fanclub. Songs From Northern Britain is my favourite album. All of which I got for under $5 a piece :D

another terrific band...

bartman

Immortal
I dont know bout you Bart but I had to 'youtube' the song to hear it for the first time after finding out it won......
Yes, me too.

It's not that bad... but it doesn't grab me personally. But you get that.

Agree with the comments of JJ changing focus over time, and even though it goes on about being (supposedly) non-commercial, you can't underestimate their commercial arrangements and agendas (in terms of building calculated markets and popularity for genres that the commercial industry can then coincidently feed off - ie "aussie hip hop")

A case of the tail wagging the dog, actively shaping changes in musical preferences rather than passively reflecting changes out there?

fish eel

Immortal
Yes, me too.

It's not that bad... but it doesn't grab me personally. But you get that.

Agree with the comments of JJ changing focus over time, and even though it goes on about being (supposedly) non-commercial, you can't underestimate their commercial arrangements and agendas (in terms of building calculated markets and popularity for genres that the commercial industry can then coincidently feed off - ie "aussie hip hop")

A case of the tail wagging the dog, actively shaping changes in musical preferences rather than passively reflecting changes out there?

they need to have a bit of commercial appeal I guess. Rating help the cause for Govt funding.;-)

But yes, good point in terms of tail wagging the dog.

They, through their national base and ability to reach people not just in capitals, but in regions, are very powerful.

I'm not sure a new Australian rock band could crack it without Triple J support, unless they were signed straight to a major and dumped all over the commercial networks.

Hottest 101-200
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/kingsmill/playlist/s2805928.htm

101: Bluejuice - (Ain't) Telling The Truth
102: The Big Pink - Dominos
103: Grinspoon - Comeback
104: Lisa Mitchell - Clean White Love
105: Bon Iver - For Emma
106: Calvin Harris - Ready For The Weekend
107: Passion Pit - The Reeling
108: Eels - That Look You Give That Guy
109: Bliss N Eso - On Tour
110: Paul Dempsey - Out The Airlock
111: Funkoars - Little Did I Know (Ft. Ash Grunwald)
112: Arctic Monkeys - Cornerstone
113: Mos Def - Auditorium
114: Metric - Gimme Sympathy
115: Hungry Kids Of Hungary - Scattered Diamonds
116: Lisa Mitchell - Romeo & Juliet (Like A Version)
117: Friendly Fires - Kiss Of Life
118: Hilltop Hoods - The Light You Burned
119: Bat For Lashes - Daniel
120: Bertie Blackman - Heart
121: Dead Letter Circus - The Space On The Wall
122: Chairlift - Bruises
123: Empire Of The Sun - Without You (Single Version)
124: Sarah Blasko - Bird On A Wire
125: Art Vs Science - Hollywood
126: Drapht - Where Yah From
127: Karnivool - Simple Boy
128: Paul Dempsey - Fast Friends
129: Deadmau5 - I Remember
130: Lupe Fiasco - Shining Down
131: Royksopp - The Girl And The Robot (Ft. Robyn)
132: Metric - Gold Guns & Girls
133: Phoenix - Lasso
134: The Drums - Let's Go Surfing
135: Placebo - Battle For The Sun
136: Karnivool - Goliath
137: Duck Sauce - Anyway
138: Grinspoon - Run
139: Something With Numbers - Sex On Fire/Hits From The Bong (Like A Version)
140: Cold War Kids - Audience
141: The Temper Trap - Down River
142: Placebo - For What It's Worth
143: Whitley - Head, First, Down
144: Clare Bowditch - Start Of War
145: Eels - Fresh Blood
146: Snob Scrilla - Heartbreak Scorsese
147: Them Crooked Vultures - Mind Eraser, No Chaser
148: Alexisonfire - Young Cardinals
149: Ben Harper And Relentless 7 - Under Pressure (Like A Version)
150: Peter Bjorn & John - Lay It Down
151: The XX - Crystalised
152: Hot Chip - One Life Stand
153: Silversun Pickups - It's Nice To Know You Work Alone
154: Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
155: Boy & Bear - Mexican Mavis
156: Jamie T - Chaka Demus
157: Dizzee Rascal - Dirtee Cash
158: Little Birdy - Hairdo
159: Little Birdy - Summarize
160: La Roux - Tigerlily
161: Lady Sovereign - So Human
162: Phrase - Spaceship
163: Sarah Blasko - No Turning Back
164: Grizzly Bear - While You Wait For The Others
165: Wolfmother - White Feather
166: Dappled Cities - The Price
167: AFI - Medicate
168: La Roux - I'm Not Your Toy
169: N.A.S.A - Gifted (Ft. Kanye West/Lykke Li)
170: Cloud Control - Gold Canary
171: Washington - How To Tame Lions
172: Philadelphia Grand Jury - I'm Going To Kill You
173: Muse - Unnatural Selection
174: Kasabian - Vlad The Impaler
175: Jonathan Boulet - A Community Service Announcement
176: La Roux - Quicksand
177: Them Crooked Vultures - No One Loves Me & Neither Do I
178: Metric - Sick Muse
179: Red Riders - Ordinary
180: Eskimo Joe - Inshalla
181: Muse - I Belong To You
182: Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year
183: Passion Pit - Moth's Wings
184: Bertie Blackman - Black Cats
185: Tame Impala - Sundown Syndrome
186: Mumford & Sons - White Blank Page
187: Daniel Merriweather - Change (Ft. Wale)
188: Karen O And The Kids - All Is Love
189: Hilltop Hoods - Fifty In Five
190: White Rabbits - Percussion Gun
191: Florence & The Machine - You've Got The Love
192: Lisa Mitchell - So Jealous
193: Muse - Mk Ultra
194: The Cat Empire - Sunny Afternoon (Like A Version)
195: The Basics - With This Ship
196: MSTRKRFT - Bounce (Ft. N.O.R.E.)
197: Lisa Mitchell - Oh Hark
198: Hilltop Hoods - Hillatoppa
199: Lily Allen - Back To The Start
200: Urthboy - Shruggin

hrundi99

First Grade

I've seen Sloan on both of their Aus tours, and live in Toronto as well and their shows are phenomonal. Great music, great band, fun shows.

fish eel

Immortal
I've seen Sloan on both of their Aus tours, and live in Toronto as well and their shows are phenomonal. Great music, great band, fun shows.

you were at that little gig at Spectrum a few years back?

God that was great fun.

As was the 'between the bridges' toiur at, IIRC the old 'Goldmans' room at Newtown RSL.