What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Firstly as a Raiders supporter, I'm over the fact he is playing well for another club. Actually I still enjoy watching him play.

But is anyone else sick of hear about how he's turned his life around?

Every day this week the Telegraph has run a big story about the "re-formed" Todd Carney and every story highlights a different turning point that put him on the right track.

It's very unlike the Telegraph to publish so many "positive" stories and the conspiracy theorist in me is thinking they're building him up for a big fall.

He's stayed off the turps all season and it's worked out well for him but the off-season approaches. As much as I'd like to believe he's turned his life around, that will be the real test.

Is everyone as "convinced" as the DT?

Chook Herron

Juniors
I'm convinced if he was still playing for the raiders he would be in gaol or dead by now. His life turned around for the better since he got out of that sh*thole

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Firstly as a Raiders supporter, I'm over the fact he is playing well for another club. Actually I still enjoy watching him play.

Every day this week the Telegraph has run a big story about the "re-formed" Todd Carney and every story highlights a different turning point that put him on the right track.

It's very unlike the Telegraph to publish so many "positive" stories and the conspiracy theorist in me is thinking they're building him up for a big fall.

He's stayed off the turps all season and it's worked out well for him but the off-season approaches. As much as I'd like to believe he's turned his life around, that will be the real test.

The media hate the dragons because they refuse to let their players have interviews. They've now picked a hero, and they've picked a villain. I just hope the players from both teams are seeing what's being written, because it'll only be bad for the Roosters if they start believing it, and it'll certainly fire up the dragons.

BunniesMan

Immortal
He's playing in a GF. The media always creates these narratives to sell more papers/get more viewers. This way whatever happens they've got even more material. If he plays brilliantly and leads the Roosters to a win, they'll write/talk about him going from the "lowest of lows" to the "highest of highs" and other cliches. Alternatively, if he's terrible this weekend and goes off the rails in the off season they have...you guessed it, lots to write/talk about.

The media hate the dragons because they refuse to let their players have interviews. They've now picked a hero, and they've picked a villain. I just hope the players from both teams are seeing what's being written, because it'll only be bad for the Roosters if they start believing it, and it'll certainly fire up the dragons.

I agree, yet, it still fades to 2002, when we wore white, the Warriors were black, and the media practically labelled it an "us vs them test match".

I can't see us digging into it that deeply, well, bloody hope not.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It is a pretty big turn around both from Carney and the Roosters so I can see why the media have jumped on it. I never thought I'd see the day when Brian Smith would be doing a live blog with the terrograph, but there it is today.

Danish

Referee
If you think this week is bad, just wait till the commonwealth games start...

Non one loves telling stories of adversity more than olympic/commonwealth games commentators

adamkungl

Immortal

bingo...they would love nothing more than for him to be caught doing something stupid on the drink come Mad Monday.

typicalfan

Coach
What about the Michael Weyman turn around story? Canberra fans would probably find that one closer to their heart tbh considering the day he walked out for the Raiders he had test forward written all over him but couldn't avoid the sideline.

Now among the top forwards in the game and the most influential at the Dragons. He turned his life around the negative moments in his career weren't always self inflicted like Carney's were.

andrew057

First Grade
No Im not sick of it.

Its a great story for Todd and the NRL and its Grand Final week for chirst sake.

CMUX

I don’t see the big deal. Carney and the roosters in general are the feel good story of the year, last year it was the Eels and Hayne and next year it will be someone else.

taxidriver

Coach
lets give him another accolade for living his life like a decent human being, for 12 months at least.

Garts

Bench
If I was Carney I would be taking the end of season trip o/s where he is unknown. If he spotted with one beer in his hand here it will be all over the news. I dont think he is alco or anything like that, he just cant handle his drink and goes nuts after a few. Best doing that o/s.

some11

Referee
If I was Carney I would be taking the end of season trip o/s where he is unknown. If he spotted with one beer in his hand here it will be all over the news. I dont think he is alco or anything like that, he just cant handle his drink and goes nuts after a few. Best doing that o/s.

I remember the Courier Mail had someone follow the Broncos around on their 08 off season trip overseas and had photos of them drinking trying to make a story out of it, the lengths they will go to are pathetic.

hardbaby

Coach
Look mate it's good that the media has something positive to report. And I am really glad that Todd got his life together. He is such an amazing player. The only things that grind me about Todd Carney is that he let down the Raiders so badly (I guess you forgive but don't forget) and that once again he was snapped up for nix by a club that can't produce its own players (where is the penalty). Still, life moves on and fortunately for Carney, his has moved in the right direction. Good on him. If he had any morals of course, he would finish his contract and re-sign with the Raiders!! But that is unlikely to happen.

CMUX

Look mate it's good that the media has something positive to report. And I am really glad that Todd got his life together. He is such an amazing player. The only things that grind me about Todd Carney is that he let down the Raiders so badly (I guess you forgive but don't forget) and that once again he was snapped up for nix by a club that can't produce its own players (where is the penalty). Still, life moves on and fortunately for Carney, his has moved in the right direction. Good on him. If he had any morals of course, he would finish his contract and re-sign with the Raiders!! But that is unlikely to happen.

He wants to be successful though.

^We will never get the wooden spoon like your lot.

If the Raiders decide to get Carney back, he'll come back. Simple as that.