What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refs boss congratulates referee for making the wrong call

skeepe

Immortal
Mr Raper you have got to be kidding me.

What did you make of the knock-on decisions around Bulldogs Andrew Ryan and Raiders Josh McCrone? Could they not have been sent to the video referee?

The decision against Raider Josh McCrone was a wrong call, but it was only picked up as a wrong call with a super-slow motion replay. Live it looked like a knock-on and the referee made his decision based on that.

We applaud referees for being decisive.

http://www.nrl.com/official-view-pl...spx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Is this what we have come to? Referees making an incorrect decision are actually being congratulated because they made a decision?

They justify the fact that it was only picked up by a slow motion replay as cause for applauding the referee... surely he has just made a justification for the point that he is arguing against, that it should have been sent to the video ref?

Oh no, apparently not, because Mr. Raper had this to say

In reality it was very doubtful that McCrone would have scored, as Raiders Coach Dave Furner indicated in the press conference, Jarrod Mullen had him covered and only stopped when he heard the whistle. So to suggest the use of the video referee is premature.

What? Furner never indicated that. And in any case, I didn't realise we were in the business of judging what might happen over 20 metres if the play is allowed to play out. You certainly won't see a penalty try being given for an infringement 20 metres from the line, so why is it ok in this instance to rely on what ifs to justify a bad call?

It was very similar to the Bulldogs game when Andrew Ryan plays at the arm but gets the ball and knocks-on before Ben Barba picks it up and races away.

They are both similar incidents, the commentators were saying that the referees had got it wrong, but when the replay was shown, Ryan clearly touches the ball and the correct call was made.

The interpretation of the rule is that; if a player is tackling with a wrapping motion with his hands and he touches the ball, he is playing at the ball.

This is the interpretation because a lot of the time players will hedge their bets, they go in for the tackle but if there is an overlap created on the outside they will also try to knock the ball down and diffuse the situation.

The interpretation is there because it is the best way to rule on these knock-ons and gives us much more consistency.

Fair enough, but McCrone didn't touch it you geniused mongoloid.

In this instance we got one right and one wrong, both in similar circumstances. It is unfortunate for the Raiders and McCrone but to suggest this was the turning point is wrong. Only four minutes earlier Alan Tongue dropped the ball when he looked a certainty to score under the posts.

So now it's ok for the referee to make a blatantly incorrect call because a player from the team that was wronged made a mistake 4 minutes earlier? Am I the only one who thinks that is completely batshit insane?

We will encourage referees to continue to make calls, if they see something and are confident in what they have seen, they’ll make an immediate decision.

We think the referees have been doing a great job and a large majority of the time, they have been making the right calls in those split-second decisions.

If McCrone or Barba get tackled before the line, the window of opportunity to make a decision is gone. We don’t want every decision being sent upstairs, if the referee thinks it’s a knock-on, he’ll call it.

This just takes the cake, it really does. They will encourage the referees to continue to get it wrong, because they are actually making a decision. What kind of world are we living in where that makes any sense whatsoever?

Stuart Raper and Bill Harrigan are the worst referees bosses we have ever had. Even Robert Finch was miles better than these two f**ktards.

The refereeing this weekend was the worst I have ever seen it. From the disgraceful way Cecchin handed the Knights the game against the Raiders, to the comedy capers in the Storm vs Warriors game, to the unbelievably ridiculous officiating between the Dragons and Roosters, it has been absolutely abominable.

And yet instead of admonishing the referees, or even admitting that there is a problem, they praise them for making incorrect calls that cost teams dearly.

That'll just about do me!

All quotes from http://www.nrl.com/official-view-pl...spx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

beave

Coach
hang on a minute skeepe, didn't you start a thread after rd 2 about how good the refs have been this year??

Liddell

Juniors
Gould said something similar a few weeks back on the roast. Something like he'd be happy to see the wrong call made in a big game as long as the ref backs himself.

They got the video, use it. Doesn't impress me if they make the call on the spot, i'd rather waste a few mins going up to the video, as long as the right call is made.

Apey

Staff member
forever-alone-sad-keanu.jpg

skeepe

Immortal
hang on a minute skeepe, didn't you start a thread after rd 2 about how good the refs have been this year??

I did. And for the first round or two, they were very good. They have regressed at a very rapid rate, so much so that the round just passed is the worst I can remember.

busterc

Juniors
Sorry Skeepe but i've got to disagree with you. Yes you are upset because your team was wronged and if it happened to my team i would be upset too. However i agree with the idea of letting the refs make decisions even if it means they occasionally get one wrong. It keeps a bit of humanity in the game. There are trys scored from marginal passes(or disallowed for marginal passes) and if every play was slowed down we would get a perfect match. But it would be 4hrs long like a Grid Iron match. Yes they make mistakes from time to time but so do the players. Perhaps some of your anger could be delivered to Tongue for dropping the ball with the line open.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
They got the video, use it. Doesn't impress me if they make the call on the spot, i'd rather waste a few mins going up to the video, as long as the right call is made.

You honestly think the game doesn't have enough stops and starts as it is? Do you want to completely ruin the flow of the game? Why don't you just watch NFL if that's the case?

Most people's opinions on this seem to change based on what happens to their own club.

The Knights have had 3 fair tries disallowed in 3 weeks (one of which probably cost us the game) due to incorrect forward pass calls. I'm willing to let them slide though for the overall quality and flow of the game.

skeepe

Immortal
You honestly think the game doesn't have enough stops and starts as it is? Do you want to completely ruin the flow of the game? Why don't you just watch NFL if that's the case?

Most people's opinions on this seem to change based on what happens to their own club.

The Knights have had 3 fair tries disallowed in 3 weeks (one of which probably cost us the game) due to incorrect forward pass calls. I'm willing to let them slide though for the overall quality and flow of the game.

Stop listening to the commentators and use your eyes. The ball on Sunday was forward out of the hands, as clear a forward pass as you are ever likely to see.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
Im happy for the refs to make a call and get on with the game. It all evens out in the end the better teams almost always wins.

Noname36

First Grade
Stop listening to the commentators and use your eyes. The ball on Sunday was forward out of the hands, as clear a forward pass as you are ever likely to see.

Trust me, I wasn't listening to the Raider's obsessed commentary (however even they could see past the green in their eyes to see that it wasn't forward). I could see quite clearly that it went backwards from his hands. You wont see a much better pass.

Alex28

Coach
Furner didn't seem to have a problem with the forward pass that lead to one of the Raiders tries. Perhaps he should ask the boss to congratulate the refs on that call as well.

Really...is acting like a sore loser in the water down there?

Liddell

Juniors

How does going to a video ref completely ruin the flow of a game?

I'd rather see a few mins wasted then see a team dudded or awarded an unfair try because he thought it was his moment to back himself.

What will the league world be talking about afterwards, a try that should/shouldn't have been awarded and cost a team 2 points or 90 seconds lost because the ref went upstairs?

beave

Coach

rubbish mate, that pass was fine. I'm neutral so I don't have any emotional attachment whatsoever to either team, I think you might be letting the love from your team taint your opinion.

You need to start venting your frustration at your players wearing the lime green jerseys. They let the game slip through their fingers, yes the McCrone incident was shitty but the refs honestly thought he had touched it, in hindsight they probably should have left the play unfold and if he scored then go to the video ref to check it out, but if he gets stopped short of the try line and the refs think he had touched it but did nothing about it, WTF are they meant to do then?? They can't go back to it.

Noname36

First Grade
How does going to a video ref completely ruin the flow of a game?

I'd rather see a few mins wasted then see a team dudded or awarded an unfair try because he thought it was his moment to back himself.

What will the league world be talking about afterwards, a try that should/shouldn't have been awarded and cost a team 2 points or 90 seconds lost because the ref went upstairs?

So by that logic we should go the the video ref for absolutely everything? Let's stop play after every tackle just to make sure a player wasn't taken high shall we? How about stopping and consulting with the video ref after every pass just to make sure it hasn't travelled forward. If we don't allow the refs to make decisions then we're going to get to that point.

Scott

Bench
I have no problems at all with it.
It's sport, there is always going to be a few hairy calls and decisions made that not everyone agrees with.

The problem here is skeepe and many other somewhat arrogant Raiders fans can't bring themselves to accept that they are 1 win from 7 games. :lol: