What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spirit of the game

Gaba

First Grade
Some tigers fans complain last year in the prelim final when boyd threw the ball over the dead ball line it should have been a penalty and it wasnt in the spirit of the game.

Marshall ran the ball 20-30 metres backwards to run over the deadball line , as he was running he kept watching the warriors defenders .

Should that have been a penalty to the warriors

Last edited:

koal4e

Juniors
Some tigers fans complain last year in the prelim final when boyd threw the ball over the dead ball line it should have been a penalty and it wasnt in the spirit of the game.

Marshall ran the ball 20-30 metres backwards to run over the deadball line , as he was running he kept watching the warriors defenders .

There is no distinction between purposefully playing the ball over your own deadline or it being knocked over your deadline in the rules so it always ends up with a defending kick.

Unfortunately the rules dont have anything about teams purposefully playing over their own dead ball line so its within the rules...unless anyone knows something I dont in the rules :)

eaglerock

Juniors
Fans will always complain when it happens against their own team. I recall Merritt doing it against Manly at brookie oval 4 seasons ago..shitted me but the 50uffs fans loved it..

It happens

S.R.

Juniors
The Warriors should have smashed him thru the advertising boards. Benji dogged it.
Probably smart play, but if I was a Warriors player I wouldn't have seen it that way.

The push and shove at the end could have gotten a LOT nastier.

Gaba

First Grade
i had a smile when marshall was looking at the warriors defenders all the time as he was running to the dead ball line

chills74

Juniors
So now its in the rules so thats fine, but when Boyd did it it was against the spirit of the game - just like the fuss when Soward took the option of kicking dead to set a defensive line - see most teams doing that these days!

Ladmate

Bench
I had no problem with Boyd throwing it over. What I had a problem with was that stupid kick that let him. And that was the smartest play by Benji. A kick could be charged down. Just running backwards, you can't stop it. But looking back, he should have grounded it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

No. If you're down, and the opposition has the ball, you're at their mercy. The Warriors were trying to smash the ball out of the Tigers' hands, so Benji ran away from them. Smart play.

thommo4pm

Coach
Boyd did what anyone would do in that situation. Regardless of what game of the season it was, he had a defender coming at him and the team was a point ahead with 20 seconds on the clock. Got the ball in his own in-goal and then threw it dead.

Marshall running backwards like that, is not in the spirit of the game at all.
I'm certain we won't hear the uproar about this like we did about Boyd, due to the fact it was Benji who did it. No doubt he'll be labelled a genius for doing so.

bottle

Coach
Winning is the what the game is played for. That's the 'spirit of the game' in a professional sport. The only line I would draw is foul play designed to purposefully injure. Grapples, chicken wings, leg extensions etc.

Iafeta

Referee
I didn't have a problem with it at all, I don't see why you wouldn't do it. The idea is to win the game and he used a legal play to tie the game up.

I don't condone Sharky Brown's reaction, I think it was more a play out of unbelievable frustration. If he was anywhere near as frustrated as I was watching that capitulation then I can understand somewhat of a reaction. Still, what Sharky did wasn't a good move and could have unnecesssarily injured a player. I don't really believe he was frustrated with Benji's play TBH, more the unbelievable demise of the Warriors.

No problem with either play, both are within the rules.

I would like it to be time off as soon as there is to be a drop kick and give them a 50 second clock to take the kick.

innsaneink

Referee
People should rememebr only a few minutes earlier marshall only had to kick a ball deep into the Warriors corner and the Tigers defend for about one set....it comes off the side of the boot and actually loses about a metre, warriors with a full set starting near halfway.
Im sure that was fresh in his mind and there was no way he was kicking it again

Johns Magic

Referee
On another note, has anyone else noticed that Benji has become much more of a hot-head lately?

He's getting in little nancy push-and-shoves over nothing, he never used to do that.

Loudstrat

Coach
Yet again a good call by Iafita. Damn bad way to lose mate. The Warriors were on fire.

NZ and Wests are the best advertisements we have for great attacking footy. Them and the Cowboys have been the best 3 for 10 years - and a massive reason we have an unbelievable highlights package that is the envy of other sports. I love their attacking footy and have massive respect for the three clubs because of it.

innsaneink

Referee
The "Maccas" sledges must be getting to him

Love it tbh.....gets him into the game, more involved, takes more control.

Loudstrat

Coach
On another note, has anyone else noticed that Benji has become much more of a hot-head lately?

He's getting in little nancy push-and-shoves over nothing, he never used to do that.
Yes. Gaba and I did one night in the rocks a few months back when Gaba gave him a mouthful about his heritage. I tried to warn him, but you know Gaba....................

hitman82

Bench
I would have done exactly the same thing if I was in that situation. Benji appeared to be mocking the Warriors defenders, which was a bit eats, but Lewis Brown gave him a little shove which squared it up in my opinion. All good all round.

...apart from our pathetic capitulation. Where was our captain when we needed some inspiration? Missing tackles and ball watching, that's where.

Benji trying to take on Mateo earlier in the game was also hilarious. He'd tear his head off if he wanted to! Agro little maori boy needs un un-agro a bit. Not surprised he's up on assault charges; comes across as a total dipsh*t at times.