What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taumalolo Chooses NZ

heh. gotta laugh at the hypocrisy of a prat like T. kemp,

"Mal and [NSW coach] Ricky [Stewart] are visiting a lot of Kiwi kids to try to get them, and that is an indictment of New South Wales and Queensland kids really," Kemp said. "To me, you are filling your side full of New Zealanders when you should be filling them full of New South Welshmen and Queenslanders."

yet more ozzies have played for the kiwis than kiwis for Oz. It's a pretty pathetic situation when you have to coerce a player into signing a letter of intent to play for the kiwis.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
As opposed to prodding at a kid to play Origin who has already said no several times? How is Kemp's use of the media any different to the way Meninga and the likes have used it in recent weeks.

And seriously you use the phrase "coerce a player to play for the Kiwis" and then accuse someone else of hypocrisy. Nice one, pot have you seen kettle lately?

It's the same argument the only thing that changes is which side of the debate you're on. The rules and the lack of genuine effort to grow the international game is the issue that needs to be addressed, not the useless finger pointing blame game where nobody takes responsibility for the issue.

As opposed to prodding at a kid to play Origin who has already said no several times? How is Kemp's use of the media any different to the way Meninga and the likes have used it in recent weeks.

And seriously you use the phrase "coerce a player to play for the Kiwis" and then accuse someone else of hypocrisy. Nice one, pot have you seen kettle lately?

It's the same argument the only thing that changes is which side of the debate you're on. The rules and the lack of genuine effort to grow the international game is the issue that needs to be addressed, not the useless finger pointing blame game where nobody takes responsibility for the issue.

have you got sources to back up these claims or are you just making it up? Kemp is a prat, plain and simple. Did you even read what kemp said?

"He's a Kiwi" ...

"I'm in North Queensland now and he's signed a letter that he wants to play for New Zealand. I've met with his parents and met with Jason and he has no desire to play for Queensland whatsoever."

yet in another article (linked to from the current article) we find Jason quoted as saying

"Right now I'm confused but it would be good to put on a Maroon jersey"

"My parents migrated to New Zealand from Tonga so I guess I'm eligible for three countries.

"I've played schoolboys footy for Queensland and for me State of Origin is the highest level of football.

"I've been talking to 'Johnno' (Thurston) and Matt Scott about the Origin buzz and how big it is in Queensland.

"We'll see what happens. It would be good to play for the Kiwis but at the same time I would like to play for Queensland."

fine for kemp to fly over there especially to talk Jason into declaring for the kiwis, but I'd prefer it if kemp refrained from puting words in the young blokes mouth, wouldn't you?

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Exactly what we see Kemp doing, hence my thoughts.

Everyone is looking ordinary in this - NSW and Queensland for pursuing impressionable Kiwis and the NZRL for doing nothing about their players wanting to play for a foreign state.

Big Pete

Referee
Would love to see the reaction from the Kiwis if a player who hasn't spent any time in Australia chooses the Aussies because one of their folks happened to be born there.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
have you got sources to back up these claims or are you just making it up? Kemp is a prat, plain and simple. Did you even read what kemp said?

Direct quotes from Papalli has said several times that Meninga has asked him several times despite him saying no, what more do you want?

How is what Kemp said any different to the crap Meninga is spouting? They're both prats, they're both coming out of it looking like dicks, but instead of anyone actually doing something about it they all want to point fingers, throw up their hands and say "it's not my problem to fix it's theirs."

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Would love to see the reaction from the Kiwis if a player who hasn't spent any time in Australia chooses the Aussies because one of their folks happened to be born there.

Not relevant to what most people are actually arguing, but meh I'll bite.

If the guy came out and said, "My parents raised me as an Australian,I've always felt like an Australian and want to represent them" then aside from the usual suspects, most of us wouldn't have an issue with it.

As always though, this seems to turn into an Australia vs NZ debate. If it came down to simply NZ vs Australia there wouldn't be an issue because guys like Tamou, Kasiano and Taumalolo would play for NZ no questions asked. It's Australia using Origin as a lure that has fans of both NZ and Australia saying "Yeah, that doesn't quite feel right".

If any of the guys at the centre of this came out and said "Australia is my home now, I want to represent Australia," there wouldn't nearly be as much heated debate as their is now.

Iafeta

Referee
heh. gotta laugh at the hypocrisy of a prat like T. kemp,

"Mal and [NSW coach] Ricky [Stewart] are visiting a lot of Kiwi kids to try to get them, and that is an indictment of New South Wales and Queensland kids really," Kemp said. "To me, you are filling your side full of New Zealanders when you should be filling them full of New South Welshmen and Queenslanders."

yet more ozzies have played for the kiwis than kiwis for Oz. It's a pretty pathetic situation when you have to coerce a player into signing a letter of intent to play for the kiwis.

Let us rephrase all this for a bit more accuracy and relevance. New Zealand has, and I think most Kiwis agree (although there was some sympathy for the NZRL given it'd tried playing fair for years and ended up getting gagged in the piehole for doing so), made two obvious errors. Webb and Fien. This is the whole "I moved overseas for a career" selection. That type of selection is a load of bollocks. The situation that the likes of the Cayless brothers found themselves in was completely different. Born to New Zealand parents, brought up with pride in their New Zealand heritage.

So lets get back to the farce that is currently going on. You have a group of boys born in New Zealand who move to Australia in their mid to late teens, mostly to pursue a professional career. This is similar to Marshall, Foran, Tamou, Taumololo, Teo. Vice-versa its the case of Fien, Webb, and if you want to draw a long bow, you could have said the same for the likes of Maloney, Luck etc. What you'll find most New Zealanders saying is that we as followers did not support the tenuous selection of Fien or Webb, nor do we want to see a Maloney or a Luck or any of those players representing New Zealand. Simply put, to us they're not Kiwis. In the same vein, Tamou, Taumololo, Marshall, Foran, Teo are not Australians.

To me, all it does is denegrate what Origin was about. To me, Origin as a tradition was blokes like Gary Larson, Paul Sironen, Ben Elias, Mark Geyer... tough as hell Australians who knew straight and true throughout who they were. They were Canetoads or Cockroache. There was no ..."but I'm also a Kiwi". There was no recruitment as such. It was "I'm from New South Wales and I'm going to smash the bloke from Queensland" who possibly played for the same Winfield Cup side. That was the huge attraction. Now its becoming a similar concept to the All Stars game but unlike the All Star game has an obligation on which country you represent, even if you don't really believe in it.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
most kiwi's wouldn't have an issue with it... the fact that Beale & Hoffman both opted for NZ is no surprise to anyone here.

Hoffman & Beale are both Maori... if you understand Maori you would find it really easy to see why they would play for the Kiwis.

one of the biggest things we as Maori hold to is our Whakapapa... while we all live and work in other places around the world... we place huge emphasis on our Iwi(tribe) and Hapu(sub tribe).

our families all sing songs and do haka which are linked to our tribes... our Ta moko(tattoo's) are linked to our tribes...

when we as Maori go out into the world... we do so to make our people from our tribe... and from our area proud.

i know that Josh Hoffman made his decision when his dad brought him home to his iwi and went on to his Marae(meeting house). its massively emotional experience for someone.

shiznit

Coach
Tony Kemp has a cheek.

Why is he not asking himself the question why are young Kiwis wanting to play for a foreign state, and what can he do to change that. He should stop relying on Australian clubs to develop his players and give them an adequate pathway to aspire to.

Playing the blame game is weak on his part.
f**k you...

Aussie NRL clubs develop these kids to benefit there own clubs... there kiwi before they go into the system... and there kiwi when they come out of the system.

If the likes of Taumalolo are allowed to play for QLD... how long will it be before Mel starts coming over to NZ talking to NZ's most promising 12-13 year olds??

where does it stop??

Mr Fourex

Bench
To me, all it does is denegrate what Origin was about. To me, Origin as a tradition was blokes like Gary Larson, Paul Sironen, Ben Elias, Mark Geyer... tough as hell Australians who knew straight and true throughout who they were. They were Canetoads or Cockroache. There was no ..."but I'm also a Kiwi". There was no recruitment as such. It was "I'm from New South Wales and I'm going to smash the bloke from Queensland" who possibly played for the same Winfield Cup side. That was the huge attraction. Now its becoming a similar concept to the All Stars game but unlike the All Star game has an obligation on which country you represent, even if you don't really believe in it.

Agreed 100%........State of Origin should be for Australian players only.

Let us rephrase all this for a bit more accuracy and relevance. New Zealand has, and I think most Kiwis agree (although there was some sympathy for the NZRL given it'd tried playing fair for years and ended up getting gagged in the piehole for doing so), made two obvious errors. Webb and Fien. This is the whole "I moved overseas for a career" selection. That type of selection is a load of bollocks. The situation that the likes of the Cayless brothers found themselves in was completely different. Born to New Zealand parents, brought up with pride in their New Zealand heritage.

So lets get back to the farce that is currently going on. You have a group of boys born in New Zealand who move to Australia in their mid to late teens, mostly to pursue a professional career. This is similar to Marshall, Foran, Tamou, Taumololo, Teo. Vice-versa its the case of Fien, Webb, and if you want to draw a long bow, you could have said the same for the likes of Maloney, Luck etc. What you'll find most New Zealanders saying is that we as followers did not support the tenuous selection of Fien or Webb, nor do we want to see a Maloney or a Luck or any of those players representing New Zealand. Simply put, to us they're not Kiwis. In the same vein, Tamou, Taumololo, Marshall, Foran, Teo are not Australians.

mate, you're already drawing the bow too long if you want to make the comparison with webb and fein. foran arrived as a primary school kid. the others in their early to mid-teens. They all received a good portion of their education in Aus. Your comparison is bullsh!t. For example sivivatu arrived in NZ as a 17 or 18 year old, but there was never any possibility that he would play for a side other then the ABs. At least kiwis in Aus have a choice. You have a cheek trying to dictate who is and isn't an Ozzie. Mate, it ain't any of your business. it's a personal choice for the players.

a fairly predictable reaction I'd expect. Call him a traitor and wish injury upon him. That sort of thing.

most kiwi's wouldn't have an issue with it... the fact that Beale & Hoffman both opted for NZ is no surprise to anyone here.

Hoffman & Beale are both Maori... if you understand Maori you would find it really easy to see why they would play for the Kiwis.

one of the biggest things we as Maori hold to is our Whakapapa... while we all live and work in other places around the world... we place huge emphasis on our Iwi(tribe) and Hapu(sub tribe).

our families all sing songs and do haka which are linked to our tribes... our Ta moko(tattoo's) are linked to our tribes...

when we as Maori go out into the world... we do so to make our people from our tribe... and from our area proud.

i know that Josh Hoffman made his decision when his dad brought him home to his iwi and went on to his Marae(meeting house). its massively emotional experience for someone.

I'm fairly certain we used to cannibalise each other not too long ago, but we shouldn't let the facts get in the way of this big 'Whakafest'.

f**k you...

Aussie NRL clubs develop these kids to benefit there own clubs... there kiwi before they go into the system... and there kiwi when they come out of the system.

If the likes of Taumalolo are allowed to play for QLD... how long will it be before Mel starts coming over to NZ talking to NZ's most promising 12-13 year olds??

where does it stop??

a newsflash for you, NZ already do that in Oz. I think they call these promising Oz players 'expat kiwis', even though many have never even visited NZ.

shiznit

Coach
I'm fairly certain we used to cannibalise each other not too long ago, but we shouldn't let the facts get in the way of this big 'Whakafest'.

'Whakafest' :roll:

you have no f**king idea what your talking about... come back to me when you know what your talking about dickwad...

shiznit

Coach
a newsflash for you, NZ already do that in Oz. I think they call these promising Oz players 'expat kiwis', even though many have never even visited NZ.

read abit earlier you f**king genius... Kids like Hoffman and Beale come from Maori or Pacific island families...

they are brought up Kiwi...

What link does Taumalolo have to Queensland?? he was poached by a Queensland club first??

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
f**k you...

:lol:

But not kiwi enough to want to play for the kiwis.

read abit earlier you f**king genius... Kids like Hoffman and Beale come from Maori or Pacific island families...

they are brought up Kiwi...

What link does Taumalolo have to Queensland?? he was poached by a Queensland club first??

here's another news flash for you. Tonga is a sovereign state. It does not belong to the Kingdom of New Zealand.

Latest posts