What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Strategic Plan (2013-2017)

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Press conf today at 10/11am Bris/Syd time.

Some info has been leaked already like the new logo for all levels of the game. Here's some more.

League future pinned to membership drive

by: Margie McDonald
October 29, 2012 12:00AM

SETTING ambitious membership targets for the 16 NRL clubs is one of the focuses of the five-year strategic plan to be announced today which covers the life of the new billion-dollar television rights deal.

ARL Commission chairman John Grant and interim NRL chief executive Shane Mattiske will reveal their vision for the sport in eight key areas now that the game knows how much money it has to spend.

Keeping club memberships moving in an upwards direction is one of those areas.

Last season saw many clubs set membership records. Brisbane and South Sydney became the first two clubs to pass 20,000, while Wests Tigers reached 10,000 for the first time.

NRL memberships now number more than 200,000 but the commission wants that to double by 2015.

The plan is also to grow the numbers of registered juniors to 700,000 nationwide by 2017 from today's 600,000.

Grant and Mattiske will also discuss plans to take more matches to regional Australia.

The Broncos already conduct functions and coaching clinics in country areas -- predominantly in mining towns. Two of the club's major sponsors are in the mining sector.

While executives of the league and the Nine Network have no immediate plans for a 17th NRL club, Grant is expected to talk about expansion in more detail than has been given.

Two bid teams, from Brisbane and Ipswich, are trying to bring a third club to southeast Queensland, while there are moves for teams to be based in central Queensland, the NSW central coast, Perth and a second team in New Zealand (Wellington).

Despite some commentators predicting the future progress of the salary cap would be laid out, along with the new State of Origin eligibility rules, these two items will not be on the agenda today.

All clubs have been told to set their negotiations next year around a $5m salary cap.

The venues for Origin games over the next five years will also not be revealed today, sparking further debate about whether Queensland or NSW will lose the alternating two-game home advantage that's been used for the majority of past series.

But the commission wants to grow the NRL brand more internationally.

Another step might be to take Origin league's showcase item to venues other than Brisbane and Sydney.

Already another drawcard game, the Indigenous-NRL All Stars in early February, has been shifted from Skilled Park on the Gold Coast to Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...membership-drive/story-fnca0von-1226504913104

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Looking forward to reading the full document when published online.

Is the media conference streamed online anywhere?

Big Sam

First Grade
200,000 new members in 3 seasons? Ambitious. Which clubs will they come from though?

I can't see the big 4 of Brisbane, Souths, St Merge and Canterbury doubling their membership in 3 years so the growth will have to come from underachieving clubs like Parra and Wests. And GC, NQ, and NZ are capable of each having 15-20k members so growth will come from them too.

thommo4pm

Coach
200,000 new members in 3 seasons? Ambitious. Which clubs will they come from though?

I can't see the big 4 of Brisbane, Souths, St Merge and Canterbury doubling their membership in 3 years so the growth will have to come from underachieving clubs like Parra and Wests. And GC, NQ, and NZ are capable of each having 15-20k members so growth will come from them too.

Penrith
Parra
NQ
GC
Tigers
Manly

All of these clubs should have much larger membership numbers than they currently do.

KiamaSaint

Coach

I was thinking the same.

Rosetta

Juniors
Is this a dark presser or something? 11am announced in both News and Fairfax rags but no mention of coverage on Fox Sports News or Sky, ugh.

Big Sam

First Grade
Maybe if we take a look at each club's Membership target for 2013, we can see where the growth to 400,000 can come from. I know we're targeting 25,000 and Cronulla is targeting 10,000. Anybody got any figures for your own clubs?

Smiley

Bench
Logo looks slightly different than what was originally proposed. Dark green like the Kangaroos jersey and the chevrons are larger and lower down.

Ausguy

Coach
Given they want to look overseas I presume they are trying to get new members not currently demographically linked to an area.

Clubs won't double their memberships unless they look outside their immediate area.

Big Sam

First Grade
Given they want to look overseas I presume they are trying to get new members not currently demographically linked to an area.

Clubs won't double their memberships unless they look outside their immediate area.

Which corresponds with the desire to play more games in other non-NRL areas. It's why we're offering a WA and QLD membership.

El Diablo

Post Whore
A6VXBxNCUAALe1H.jpg

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I like the fact that the grants will be not fixed. The Broncos for example make plenty out of sponsorship etc due to their constant free to air coverage. Clubs like the Raiders could do with extra funding due to the lack of free to air presence.

Latest posts