What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Strategic Plan (2013-2017)

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Good to see them setting high targets, and focusing on juniors is great.

Targeting social media reaches are useless though, why bother.

Talanexor

Juniors
4 pillars. 5.8m social media reach.

Meaningless buzzwords - screams out to me that he doesn't really understand anything he's talking about.

Expansion on the backburner? What a stupid idea. Bring in a Perth and Wellington team and you get 2 extra live games every weekend. Would make the next TV rights deal worth a helluva lot more.

How about bringing in weight divisions at the junior level, so that we actually have junior players coming through who aren't fat polynesians?

How about broadcasting u20s games live? Even if only over the internet. I'd watch that for sure.

How about scrapping QLD/NSW Cup and having a legitimate national reserve grade competition?

How about using the third State of Origin game as a showpiece match - always take it overseas?

How about putting State of Origin on weekends, along with other rep matches - NZ v GB, Tonga vs Samoa, Fiji vs PNG? Ratings and attendances take a massive nosedive when clubs' star players are out, and it would give much-needed international practice to weaker RL nations.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Grant: "club grants from 2014 to be less fixed and more variable to be determined by need and performance."

I have no problems with that, as long as it's accompanied by a very good plan of how they are going to use it, with objectives which they must achieve etc aligned to it, to ensure they just can't keep on getting extra grants for no reason. ie Melbourne I would have no problems with getting extra money to be the default organiser of running and expanding the interest in the game in Melbourne. While for say a Sydney club, expanding there supporter base by taking games elsewhere (so a small underwriting grant for that match), or larger scale assistance via entertainment at games to ensure it can be marketed as a large event.

age.s

First Grade
4 pillars. 5.8m social media reach.

Meaningless buzzwords - screams out to me that he doesn't really understand anything he's talking about.

Expansion on the backburner? What a stupid idea. Bring in a Perth and Wellington team and you get 2 extra live games every weekend. Would make the next TV rights deal worth a helluva lot more.

How about bringing in weight divisions at the junior level, so that we actually have junior players coming through who aren't fat polynesians?

How about broadcasting u20s games live? Even if only over the internet. I'd watch that for sure.

How about scrapping QLD/NSW Cup and having a legitimate national reserve grade competition?

How about using the third State of Origin game as a showpiece match - always take it overseas?

How about putting State of Origin on weekends, along with other rep matches - NZ v GB, Tonga vs Samoa, Fiji vs PNG? Ratings and attendances take a massive nosedive when clubs' star players are out, and it would give much-needed international practice to weaker RL nations.

Strategic plans are always broad and a bit light on detail. It's strategy, not tactics. It's still an incredibly important part of business planning and it's great news that the commission has produced what looks like to be a coherent vision.

The stuff you're talking about is implementation, not strategy.

Big Sam

First Grade

Springs

First Grade
Ok so they are good objectives, initiatives and targets. But it would have been nice to have some insight to how they are going to achieve them.

In the 'Fans' part, it says 'an improved game day experience will see average crowds grow to 20,000' and 'satisfaction will be measured at record levels'. I was hoping to see how they plan to achieve this.

Another interesting thing, it claims the Rugby League World Cup in 2017 will be in Australia and New Zealand. If true, nice to see New Zealand will be co-hosting.

The part that I really like is that they make clear Australian selection is the pinnacle for Australian players and that the Pacific Nations will be helped. Well done in that regard.

Kirky

Juniors
Sensible and achievable targets. Not a great deal of ambition, but overall i'm pretty happy with this plan.

Sensible and achievable targets. Not a great deal of ambition, but overall i'm pretty happy with this plan.
Yep,at least it is a vision for the future.

Cant seem to remember this bloke having any strategic future plans at all...

David-Gallop-NRL-CEO-PS.jpg

unforgiven

Bench
A strategic plan doesnt usually go into huge detail about how the targets and objectives will be achieved. It may conatin basic strategies but most organisations will also develop and Operating Plan that contains the detail on how they are going to meet these targets and objectives. You need to remember that this strategic plan covers a timeframe of 5 years, It is not good planning to set your strategies for the plan for the next 5 years. A operational plan covers a mush shorter timeframe and allows you to set and revise strategies throughout the life of the strategic plan .As strategic plans go, the NRL has done a good job.

Last edited:

Latest posts