What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Strategic Plan (2013-2017)

A strategic plan doesnt usually go into detail about how the targets and objectives will be achieved. It may conatin basic strategies but most organisations will also develop and Operating Plan that contains the detail on how they are going to meet these targets and objectives. As strategic plans go, the NRL has done a good job.
Mate it doesnt matter what the IC do ,the Anti Grant/Pro news Ltd crowd will find fault..
As will the geniused posters on here.Moffo,Perth Red etc.

ek999

First Grade
Ok so they are good objectives, initiatives and targets. But it would have been nice to have some insight to how they are going to achieve them.

In the 'Fans' part, it says 'an improved game day experience will see average crowds grow to 20,000' and 'satisfaction will be measured at record levels'. I was hoping to see how they plan to achieve this.

Another interesting thing, it claims the Rugby League World Cup in 2017 will be in Australia and New Zealand. If true, nice to see New Zealand will be co-hosting.

The part that I really like is that they make clear Australian selection is the pinnacle for Australian players and that the Pacific Nations will be helped. Well done in that regard.

A strategic plan is a broad level document designed to outline where the ARLC would like to be in 5 years time. Below this there will be plans etc on how to reach these targets, how they will be measured and so on. The ARLC won't release these to the public as that would tell AFL, Rugby Union and Soccer exactly what they are going to be doing in the next 5 years.

Springs

First Grade
A strategic plan would be a document outlining an organisation's strategies. Hence the name.

It's fair enough that they would only release the vision/mission statements and values to the public but they would have the plans to achieve the vision. A big part of a strategic plan is the actions that must be taken to take the organisation from today's situation to the one in the vision and what areas specific resources will go to. It doesn't matter if they don't want to release those details but if I was fooled by the title 'Strategic Plan to be released tomorrow' then so be it.

Moffo

Referee
Wonder how much they spent on consultants to put it together. Obviously playing with some of their new found wealth

Tight, but straight out of the corporate text book in many ways. Nothing in it that particularly excites me

Don't want to be negative (and I hate rothfield) but jury is still out on grant

Diesel

Referee
Not that I read the DT but I can't wait for the comments on here to Slothfield and the News stooges bagging out our vision.

The anti-DT/News comments crack me up

Frailty

First Grade
It sets out the targets, which what a strategic plan is meant to do. I would have preferred a bit more information about how they would achieve this but that is more for personal interest.

Ultimately, it gives us a good KPI's to assess the new commission and management of the game.

Any random Joe Blow could set numbers and draw logos. This strategic plan is a joke, tell us how you intend to accomplish the goals set out. Tell us what areas you have targeted for growth. I could've taken 10 minutes to write something similar up and matter of fact many members already have on here.

WayneBennett

Juniors
869840-tommy-raudonikis.jpg

ek999

First Grade
Any random Joe Blow could set numbers and draw logos. This strategic plan is a joke, tell us how you intend to accomplish the goals set out. Tell us what areas you have targeted for growth. I could've taken 10 minutes to write something similar up and matter of fact many members already have on here.
So in other words you want the ARLC to say

"Hi opposition football codes, we've just done our strategy and planning for the next 5 years. We were going to release an outline of it to give the fans an idea of where we see the game in 5 years time. Some f**kwit on a forum was complaining though so here is the detail on how we are going to do all this. I hope you will find this useful in fighting any growth we are hoping to achieve. Happy Reading!"

Silent Knight

First Grade

You might have made a point. But all I read was "waaaaahhhh my Bears aren't in the competition yet. The ARLC therefore must be incompetent."

100%green

Juniors
I like the fact they mentioned International Football and that they will work to improve the game in the Pacific, ironic considering the artile in the DT yesterday.

You might have made a point. But all I read was "waaaaahhhh my Bears aren't in the competition yet. The ARLC therefore must be incompetent."

It hasn't got anything to do with the Bears, more so how they intend to accomplish these goals. I think the reason they didn't put more information is because they themselves don't know. So now we have figures but no real direction as to how to reach them. They don't have to tell everything little bit but I nice outline of how they will get 400,000 members etc would be nice. Are they going to be spending big on marketing etc to reach that goal? Etc

BunniesMan

Immortal
Silly that they're saying what they want but not how they're going to get it. Amateurish. Maybe the fancy pants press conference could have waited until they figured that bit out.

John Grant is beginning to come across as the typical politician type who just wants his head on camera and in the papers without saying anything of consequence.

All we have here are crappy logos and numbers. How about the things that matter. Decisions on expansion, insight on HOW memberships and crowds will be grown. What will they do about the game in the bush. What the f**k do they mean by this unequal and unfair grant system.

I certainly don't like the sound of giving some clubs more and some clubs less without a clearly defined way of doing it unbiasedly.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
This is what a strategic plan is. Funny how many idiots still don't realise this (not surprising that BunniesMan is one of those idiots)

babyg

Juniors
I like it. It gives us the nrls priorities.
I think avg crows crowds of 20,000 is a good goal.
They Re going to focuson memberships, marketing the game, participation, links with modified games (hopefully touch included) pacific islands. It ticks all my boxes

Flapper

First Grade
Silly that they're saying what they want but not how they're going to get it. Amateurish. Maybe the fancy pants press conference could have waited until they figured that bit out.

As has been said, you don't lay bare your strategy for your competitiors to analyze and attack.

unforgiven

Bench
It hasn't got anything to do with the Bears, more so how they intend to accomplish these goals. I think the reason they didn't put more information is because they themselves don't know. So now we have figures but no real direction as to how to reach them. They don't have to tell everything little bit but I nice outline of how they will get 400,000 members etc would be nice. Are they going to be spending big on marketing etc to reach that goal? Etc

Why do you feel that they should release this information. I am confident that they have or are putting the strategies in place to achieve their goals. If not they will be judged on their ability to meet and lead the NRL to their targets, just like the board of any major organisation

gerg

Juniors
200,000 new members in 3 seasons? Ambitious. Which clubs will they come from though?

I can't see the big 4 of Brisbane, Souths, St Merge and Canterbury doubling their membership in 3 years so the growth will have to come from underachieving clubs like Parra and Wests. And GC, NQ, and NZ are capable of each having 15-20k members so growth will come from them too.

Maybe 'fence sitting' supporters would become members if there were other sides on FTA besides Brisbane. Melbourne, Canberra and NZ have so much potential to grow in their respective areas but are never on FTA. There are tonnes of expat Kiwis in Australia who should be NZ members in some capacity but again they don't get any exposure. Canberra is at just as much a risk of being lost to AFL as Western Sydney is and it is a real possibility if Nine and the NRL continue to ignore the area. But instead all we hear is Gould whinging about the West. FFS the ACT government gives the AFL 26 million to play 3 games in Canberra over the next ten years. I don't know the actual figures but I imagine the GWS side was on FTA more times last season than the Raiders were. The ratings in Melbourne for the GF last season were about 1 million from memory, yet they are never on FTA.

Why would membership grow in these areas if their potential members cannot watch their teams on TV?

Frailty

First Grade
200,000 new members in 3 seasons? Ambitious. Which clubs will they come from though?

I can't see the big 4 of Brisbane, Souths, St Merge and Canterbury doubling their membership in 3 years so the growth will have to come from underachieving clubs like Parra and Wests. And GC, NQ, and NZ are capable of each having 15-20k members so growth will come from them too.

14% growth to 400,000 =/= 200,000 in 3 seasons... It's closer to just under 50,000 in three years.