What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: India v Australia at Mohali (Punjab) Mar 14-18, 2013

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/opinion-why-steve-smiths-selection-in-australias-test-side-stinks/story-e6frf3g3-1226598022088#.UUJ9bNa8Vog

Opinion: Why Steve Smith's selection in Australia's side for the third Test in Mohali stinks..

By Mark Hayes News Limited Network March 15, 2013 11:46AM

On the day Australia fields its least fearsome Test combination since Ian Chappell and company put on Kerry Packer's pyjamas, one of Chappelli's great truisms resonates.

As captain - or in this case, selector - you're obliged to do what your opponent would least like to confront.

It's a logic impossible to fault.

Which makes it all the more unfathomable - and unpalatable - to watch Steve Smith chosen as Australia's No.5 batsman to face India in Mohali.

And while social media is awash with theories pertaining to New South Wales and homework-gate, let's try to take the higher ground in assessing why this decision stinks.

f Brad Haddin can be flown from Australia to replace the injured Matthew Wade, presumably we could have arranged a suitable third drop in time - not a failed all-rounder who's a good bloke, a top fieldsman and anything but the great white hope he was painted out to be on Test debut in 2010.

Because, as many will argue about Shane Watson - including at least one selector earlier this summer - if Smith is incapable of bowling for Australia, his batting simply doesn't warrant Test selection.

There are no fewer than 22 batsmen in the Sheffield Shield - who aren't either ineligible or already in the Test team - who have scored more runs than Smith this summer.

So we're picking a youngster and giving him a chance, you say.

Then how do you explain Haddin over Paine or Hartley?

We're going for bowling variety?

No we're not - he's bowled a grand total of 15 Shield overs this summer and taken one wicket.

He's being rewarded for stellar T20 form?

Can't see Brad Hodge in the selection frame.

Selectors are telling us Steve Smith is the third best non-opener - who haven't been naughty boys - we have in Australia.

Please.

Ask emerging batsmen Joe Burns or Alex Doolan, suddenly in-form veterans Chris Rogers, Cam White or Callum Ferguson, or even pace-bowling all-rounders Trent Copeland and Ben Cutting - who all have more runs and (bar Copeland) better averages than Smith.

On no level does this make sense.

Even if you want to argue that if he's picked in the touring squad, he should see game time.

And this doesn't even take into consideration a bloke called Ricky Thomas Ponting who, oh by the way, hammered a third Shield century of the summer today against Victoria and is averaging almost 90.

If you're trying to tell me Ashwin and company would rather bowl at Ponting than Smith, I think I can hear Ian Chappell giggling from here.

BunniesMan

Immortal
We're batting first. Big day in store from Hughesy. I'm predicting a big 100 from Hughes and solid cameo 50s from Warner and Clarke.

Earl

Coach
Harbajan has been dropped and replaced by Ojha.

Thats pretty good news for me. I put my $10 this week on India to win.

Didgi

If Hughes scores 100 I'll eat my keyboard. With the sauce you'll undoubtedly be spilling if he does.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We're batting first. Big day in store from Hughesy. I'm predicting a big 100 from Hughes and solid cameo 50s from Warner and Clarke.

f**k off mong. Real cricket fans don't salivate over the prospects of one player.
I'm predicting that the team will do well as can be expected considering the drama effecting the team this week.
I'm hoping Hughes can fight his Indian demons and put an important score in for his country.

vvvrulz

Coach
Yep about time Ojha got a run.
Henriques probably should be batting at #5 instead of Steve Smith.

Hughsey will have no clue against the Ashwin/Ojha combo.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Finally the selectors have a lol@BS with the rest of us. The only fit player in the squad who didn't get a run. Steve Smith was picked ahead of him. Massive Lolz.

jargan83

Coach
I would bet Australia's GDP that Warner scores more then Hughes

As much as I want to see Hughes do well the forum genius makes it hard

Xfactor1979

Bench
I havent had a chance to see the Foxtel yet

How's the pitch looking? Is it another trial by spin (ordeal) for Australia this test?

edit - and critics have lashed out at the crowd in Chandigarh, Punjab this morning, apparently sheffield shield crowds are giving the crowd for this match a run for their money

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
This isn't a cricket pitch, it's a road!

If Phillip can't score runs on this pitch he never will. And Cowan. And Warner. And Smith.

What a batting line-up!

Xfactor1979

Bench
I lol at Edith Cowan's attempts to score quick singles

but the pitch looks good for the faster bowlers in this test, flat white surface

Should benefit Mitchell Starc when he has a bowl

Xfactor1979

Bench
With a full day of cricket lost due to weather, it looks like its going to be hard to force a result of any kind

Latest posts