What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barnett vs Tapine

Johns Magic

Referee
It will be interesting to see how this trade works out in time.

Even taking out the salary difference, I really like Barnett. Less natural talent but he has enough. More importantly he is a competitor with a bit of merkin in him.

Great pickup imo. He and Sione are an exciting pairing.

This is not a slight on Tapine. I think he has a higher ceiling. But his pay is ahead of his development right now.

Glendale

Juniors
Tapine's got insane natural talent but he only uses when he wants. He's always been very lazy and only got involved when he felt like it. The complete opposite of Barnett. Have a look at his stats since he got here, he's heavily involved in everything, even though I think he's a little less talented then overall, and he's a mongrel, I reckon Tapine is a bit soft.

They do play different roles for their respective clubs atm though. Barnett plays 80 minutes on the edge while Tapine's playing 30-40 from the bench in the middle for the Raiders. Would be very interesting to see Tapine would be going right now if he was still at the Knights.

Both are great talents but as of right now Barnett is better value for money.

perverse

Referee
Unless Tapine finds fire in his belly at some stage, I think we might actually get the better of this trade... certainly on value for money, anyway. I can't ever remember seeing Tapine get angry or assert himself on a game, just waffle about and chime in at his own discretion. Of course, those periods of a match where he does have a go are very good.

Sione is more exciting for me, you can see the special in him again.

macavity

Referee
Tapine shits on Barnett from a great height.

But we have the slow white one, so go him.

Frederick

Staff member

I was about to point out to you that you hadn't mentioned TPAs in your post, but had another look and there it is. That's some illuminati type shit right there

Glendale

Juniors

Do you ever have anything positive to say? I'm disappointed about losing Tapine as well but I'm not sure whats wrong with Barnett?

macavity

Referee
Do you ever have anything positive to say? I'm disappointed about losing Tapine as well but I'm not sure whats wrong with Barnett?

Nothing, he is doing a good job for us. He doesn't have the ceiling Tapine does though.

Knight76

Juniors
Who gives a shit about ceiling, I'd take passion and commitment any day over ceiling.Owen Craigie had a huge ceiling if only he could get himself off the floor. Mark Glanville did not have a high ceiling but he had passion, commitment to the team. The last thing we need is another future superstar too lazy to bother.

Barnett was good today. He brought some aggression our pack sorely lacks. Neither of his incidents on Gallen were penalties against him it was just good aggressive play. He takes good hit ups and can offload. All you really need in a forward.

Alex28

Coach
We have a bunch of legends in the club who didn't have the talent but made up for it in performance and determination. I can see Barnett being one of those guys.

Joel-22

Juniors
Barnett is close to if not the best forward at this club.

I'd take Barnett every day of the week over Tapine and I'm not someone who minds shitting on this club and slitting my wrists about our dire situation. At this stage in their careers Barnett is a better player and I honestly cannot see it changing. Barnett is an angry merkin with good footwork, a great offload, runs a good line. He leaves everything out on the field. I don't ever see Tapine being that player, it's likely he'll go the Feleti Mateo route. Barnett will only get better as he gets stronger and more FG experience. I see him playing rep football one day

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Commitment and good old fashioned hard work trumps talent every day of the week in professional sport

Barnett has really stepped into the breach for us and has become a good signing. Is he preferable to Tapine? Too soon to tell but as it stands right now he has done far more for our team than Joe ever did

Still Nutty

Juniors
.... Neither of his incidents on Gallen were penalties against him it was just good aggressive play..

The MRC seem to have a different opinion on 'good aggressive play' by anybody in Red and Blue (Speaking of merkins, :mad: )

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Sounds like it's worked out for all parties. I'm glad Barnett has found a home and is getting the play FG, he's earnt that.

I'm probably one of Barnetts biggest fans but I wouldn't trade Tapine for TPJ, least of all Barnett at this stage

I couldn't be more impressed with Tapine so far and I'm scratching my head at some of the comments here, nothing about his play at the raiders has suggested he lacks aggression, lazy or unlikely to deliver on his talent.

But as I said many months ago when this move was rumoured, you've got a good one in Barnett. If he learns to control his temper, he'll have a very long NRL career

Spot On

Coach
Time will tell with Tapine. He gets an opportnunity to show what he's got come semi final time when the big packs rip in. Let's see how he goes then.

perverse

Referee
Honestly the only Raiders games I've seen were the ones against us this year, my interest in the NRL is so low atm. I don't know if lazy is the right word, I say he's lazy because he looks like he's about to fall asleep on the field most of the time... but he absolutely has the tendency to drift in and out of games.

I've never once seen any aggression or "heart" in the guy, and that's through a few years of watching him at different levels. I'd love to see where you've found some. Skillful, strong, awkward to tackle... he is all of these things... but give me a yell next time you see him tuck the ball under his arm and bang it up the middle because the team needs it. I won't hold my breath... but hey, if he has changed since he left Newcastle, then good on him and the Raiders... there's no denying his natural talent. If he had the drive and aggression that I'm talking about - basically if he played as hard as Barnett, I'd be backing him in as one of the best backrowers since SBW by the end of his career. Obviously SBW is a freak - he's not that calibre... but he's capable of doing it all in league. I do think he has a very high ceiling.

Barnett won't hold a candle to Tapine if they both reach their potential. We're not just turning on him because he left, nick... it was a criticism of him well before he left here. At least a criticism of mine.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Yeah i get that, i wasnt having a shot. It genuinely shocked me to see thats how he was, I never really took much notice of him before we got interested other than to notice he was a big lump with some very clear natural talent

As for tucking it under his arm when we needed, mate, honestly he turned 3-4 games this year doing that very thing. Our pack was under the pump, struggling to get going and he came on the park and just romped through the middle at 10-15 yards a clip and got us on the front foot

A few games that stood out, against the Eels early in the year when we got blown out, he was about the only forward who actually stood up to the Eels pack.Same again the following week V the Sharks. He absolutely blew the doors off the dogs pack in round 12, round 16 against the Titans he was excellent again. He's polled points in the Raiders fans POTY in about 12 rounds this year, and made the top 3 in 4 of them i believe. He's had some quiet games but for the most part he's been exactly as advertised for us.

Which is not to say he wasnt exactly as you say he was at the knights. Maybe the change of scenery is just what he needed.

But i want to reitterate, whilst i love what Tapine is doing for us, i think you guys should be over the moon with what Barnett is give you guys. I think he's awesome and i was very sorry to see him go. He's a player you guys can really build around IMO, im not sure if Barnett will ever be a big time rep star but i think he's going to be one of those guys who plays 12 years and is a leader of your pack type.

Latest posts