What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barnett vs Tapine

Noname36

First Grade
The thing with Tapine is that I kind of thought that once he got into a team that was winning a few games he'd start playing to his potential a bit more. His performances at the Raiders though so far have been pretty much what we've been used to: a bloke that has the skills to blow a game open (and we've seen it a couple of times now from both sides) but he kinda floats in and out and doesn't use them much. I wouldn't call him lazy per say but he often looks off the pace physically to me which is a bit shocking because looking at him he has the perfect physique. I'm certainly not saying he won't reach his potential (I think Ricky Stuart is an awful coach most of the time but to his credit he's good with forwards) but I expected to be seeing more from him to prove himself for the large contract. I was expecting to be filthy by now that he's gone but I'm kind of just meh.

Barnett I have to admit I was wrong about. From what I'd seen in NSW Cup I thought he was just another unwanted average player we were bringing back just because he was a Knights junior not because he had any skill but I was wrong. The bloke actually had some real skills and works extremely hard.

I agree with the general consensus that Tapine has more natural skill and a higher ceiling but that doesn't always mean he's the better option for us. Obviously it still sucks a lot because we put a lot of time into developing him (plus standing by him financially through his court case, helping his mother, etc) but like nick said at the moment it's working out alright for everyone.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He averages quite a lot of metres per tackle and he is essentially impossible to get to ground half the time.

Sure we could get more out of him (although stuart doesnt play him for a lot of minutes) but what he produces from his hit ups is pretty good shit.

Like over the season he has had the same amount of runs as sia but has tapines output is an extra 180m. Him and bateman dont get heaps of time but they tend to both pull out ~10m a hit up which is great from two growing lads.

He does have resting sleepy face though but so does josh papalii. Some players just look like big sleepy babies.,

Spot On

Coach
You'd want to be putting in some decent runs when playing bugger all minutes. Piss poor if hes not. Otherwise you're not doing your job

Glendale

Juniors
So we were saying?

I think Tapine will turn out to be a good'n as well, but Mitch Barnett has been nothing short of brilliant for us since he arrived and may prove better value for money in the long run. He is now probably the key player in this team, when he goes off, we turn to crap. Wouldn't swap him for anybody at the moment.

perverse

Referee
Seems like it was really just mac (hateloving the team as much as I do) and Raiders fans defending Tapine at all. All aboard the Barnett train, I reckon.

Alex28

Coach
I'm sure the Raiders are appreciating their $500K a year golden boy cruising around in NSW Cup...