What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Umm...you forgot to mention if we play you as 1 V 4 or 2 V 3, it's not at our home ground either.

If the finishing positions were reversed, we would play in Canberra.

It's not all against your team mate.
Yr kidding right ?
Last time I looked , Cronulla was a Sydney team based in Sydney & they'd be playing in Sydney even if we were the hosts for the prelim playing them.

The Raiders are being right royally screwed here
End of

Raiderdave

First Grade
We hosted an opening round final that year.

Canberra can host the first 2 weeks but not the 3rd (Preliminary).

I don’t have a massive problem with it TBH. The Preliminary Finals should be held at large stadiums.

Why ?
What if we played the Titans, Cowboys , Broncos , Warriors or Storm ?
You'd prefer 17 or 18,000 at the SFS to 30,000 at GIO ?

It's a f**king joke waiting to happen this system

Raiderdave

First Grade
lol 17 or 18k? When was the last time a Preliminary Final had that figure?

But in all fairness, we probably should get a home prelim if AAMI Park can host one.
You think a Raiders Titans prelim final in Sydney would get a lot more ?
It could , no ... would go sub 20K
As would one against the Storm , even the Cowboys , while one @ GIO would get 30,000 & sellout in a day.
It would look magnificent too

Card Shark

Immortal
Yr kidding right ?
Last time I looked , Cronulla was a Sydney team based in Sydney & they'd be playing in Sydney even if we were the hosts for the prelim playing them.

The Raiders are being right royally screwed here
End of

I'm sympathetic to Canberra's plight but you aren't sympathetic to ours, even though we will finish first or second.

Ok.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I'm sympathetic to Canberra's plight but you aren't sympathetic to ours, even though we will finish first or second.

Ok.
At least You're playing in your home city.
We're not even if we earn the right to host the prelim final.
It's a chalk & cheese of a comparison.
And as I've pointed out , a potential joke if we end up playing a non Sydney team in Sydney.

Only morons would have the Raiders playing the Titans or Storm in a prelim final in Sydney. We will be a laughing stock if this occurs

Raiderdave

First Grade
Possibly, who knows?

I actually kind of agreed with you in the last post, not sure why you're so angry lol

There's no possibility ... none.
And If you think I'm angry atm.. wait n see wot I'm like if the unthinkable happens.

Let's hope common sense prevails.
And the right thing is done.
For everyone's sake.

Card Shark

Immortal
At least You're playing in your home city.
We're not even if we earn the right to host the prelim final.
It's a chalk & cheese of a comparison.
And as I've pointed out , a potential joke if we end up playing a non Sydney team in Sydney.

Only morons would have the Raiders playing the Titans or Storm in a prelim final in Sydney. We will be a laughing stock if this occurs

I think you should be entitled to games at your home ground for the first 3 weeks of the finals.

I think we should be entitled to at least 1, particularly after finishing first.

Anyways, we will get a bigger, louder crowd at the SFS.

lol 17 or 18k? When was the last time a Preliminary Final had that figure?

Let's see -

Brisbane Broncos v Sydney Roosters - 51,826
Melbourne Storm v North Queensland Cowboys - 29, 315.

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Sydney Roosters - 52,592
Canterbury Bulldogs v Penrith Panthers - 46,168.

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Manly Sea Eagles - 44,546
Sydney Roosters v Newcastle Knights - 37,752.

Melbourne Storm v Manly Sea Eagles - 25,543
Canterbury Bulldogs v South Sydney Rabbitohs - 70,354.

Manly Sea Eagles v Brisbane Broncos - 31,894
Melbourne Strom v NZ Warriors - 28.580.

Gold Coast Titans v Sydney Roosters - 44,787
St George-Illawarra Dragons v Wests Tigers - 71, 212.

I could keep going back but you get the picture. Smallest crowd for a Prelim final (i.e. GF Qualifier) since the NRL was formed in 1998 I could find was in 1999 for the Parramatta v Melbourne game at the SFS, and it still drew 27,555 people.

I think you should be entitled to games at your home ground for the first 3 weeks of the finals.

I think we should be entitled to at least 1, particularly after finishing first.

No disrespect mate, but I think Melbourne are gonna finish 1st somehow. Also those have been the rules since 2010 and I don't see why they should be changed just for your club.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
@Captain Apollo has nailed it.

The smallest crowds for prelims have been in Melbourne where the ground capacity limits the attendance (how AAMI Park was able to wrangle those finals off Etihad in their deal is beyond me). Canberra still gets week 1 and 2 finals but come week 3 its not a stretch to drive a couple of hours for a game in Sydney IMO.

Billythekid

First Grade
@Captain Apollo has nailed it.

The smallest crowds for prelims have been in Melbourne where the ground capacity limits the attendance (how AAMI Park was able to wrangle those finals off Etihad in their deal is beyond me). Canberra still gets week 1 and 2 finals but come week 3 its not a stretch to drive a couple of hours for a game in Sydney IMO.

I think it's closer to 3 hours than 2 and probably quite a bit more when you account for getting into the heart of Sydney. Considering what time the game will finish you either have to spend the night in Sydney or arrive back in Canberra at like 3am or later.

On top of that they would be attracting nearly 30K raiders fans at home. Should all of those people drive to Sydney to watch the game?

I don't understand how Aami gets the go ahead but Canberra and Newcastle don't. Their capacities are just as big (Newcastle might actually be bigger?) and they have much further to travel than the storm would at other stadiums. Etihad and the MCG are still in Melbourne at least, the other 2 have to travel to another city.

I'm happy for prelims to be played in north Queensland and at Aami park but I've seen no legitimate argument for why Canberra and Newcastle shouldn't be allowed to also.

Clubs like the sharks I feel for but are a slightly different case. At least they're actually based in Sydney so it's nowhere near as far to travel. That plus their stadium has a lesser capacity than the other 2. I'd rather see everyone get to play at their actual home ground but in the case of Sydney clubs it isn't as big of a deal.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think Townsville (15h to BNE) is a different proposition than an easily achievable 3h (CBR-SYD) drive.

I agree Etihad > AAMI for Melbourne but I think that's something to do with the stadium deal.

Danish

Referee
Unless the NRL gave away 10,000 free tickets, a Canberra vs non-Sydney team at the SFS would be a debacle.

No way you'd sell more than 15-18,000 tickets at full fare for such a game.

They have spent the last few finals series selling tickets for substantially less than GA prices to regular season games and even all Sydney prelims haven't packed em in.

carcharias

Immortal
teams that come top of the ladder should have a home game.
or
every game at the one joint.
no f**king bullshit different rules for some teams and not for others.

azza29

Juniors
I agree Etihad > AAMI for Melbourne but I think that's something to do with the stadium deal.

Etihad might bring in higher crowd numbers but that's about it. AAMI has the better atmosphere and viewing than Etihad, no matter where you sit.

AAMI might only hold 30k but 95% of those seats give a good view of the game. Etihad holds 50k with about 40% being decent viewing.

Raiderdave

First Grade

Let's see -

Brisbane Broncos v Sydney Roosters - 51,826
Melbourne Storm v North Queensland Cowboys - 29, 315.

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Sydney Roosters - 52,592
Canterbury Bulldogs v Penrith Panthers - 46,168.

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Manly Sea Eagles - 44,546
Sydney Roosters v Newcastle Knights - 37,752.

Melbourne Storm v Manly Sea Eagles - 25,543
Canterbury Bulldogs v South Sydney Rabbitohs - 70,354.

Manly Sea Eagles v Brisbane Broncos - 31,894
Melbourne Strom v NZ Warriors - 28.580.

Gold Coast Titans v Sydney Roosters - 44,787
St George-Illawarra Dragons v Wests Tigers - 71, 212.

I could keep going back but you get the picture. Smallest crowd for a Prelim final (i.e. GF Qualifier) since the NRL was formed in 1998 I could find was in 1999 for the Parramatta v Melbourne game at the SFS, and it still drew 27,555 people.

Not one final there involved 2 sides from out of Sydney ... playing in Sydney did they ?
What's more
potentially at least one side coming from a very very long way away bringing no fans with them.
Sub 20K is on the cards thanks to the NRLs short sighted ridiculous policy

Raiderdave

First Grade
teams that come top of the ladder should have a home game.
or
every game at the one joint.
no f**king bullshit different rules for some teams and not for others.

Sydney teams hosting finals play at the best available stadia in Sydney
Simple
Non Sydney teams hosting finals play where ever they come from
Also simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.