What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ghostbusters 3

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Watched this on Friday night, it was OKish in a dumb-fun kinda way to spend your evening if you've chosen not to get on the piss.

It wasn't as godawful as the interwebz hype train has made it out to be (there were some legitimately funny moments), but there's no way of not comparing to the originals, and it just doesn't compare (there were many legitimately cringeworthy moments, mostly on the part of Chris Hemsworth).

natheel

Coach
I didn't really enjoy this. I don't mind Wiig but the others just seem to try and force their jokes. Especially McKinnon. Not a fan of her on Saturday night live. Mind you SNL now is an absolute travesty in comparison to the old days. Hemsworth was awful in this movie

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It looks like its not offensive but not really my cuppa tea. From all reports its a big dumb action movie which isnt really what the ghostbusters was about. I get the impression that Sony just had a dumb action comedy film script that happened to feature ghosts sitting around hidden in some filing cabinet and some exec just chucked it to Feig and told him to turn it into ghostbusters in a couple of months because heck that will probably make money. *snorts line of coke*

Danish

Referee
It's actually getting OK reviews, more positive than negative. IMDB is the worst gauge, especially for a movie which is virally hated before it's even out like this one, anyone can vote.

It's sitting at 77% on Rotten Tomatoes.

"Critics Consensus:Ghostbustersdoes an impressive job of standing on its own as a freewheeling, marvelously cast supernatural comedy -- even if it can't help but pale somewhat in comparison with the classic original."

It's actually sitting at 58% (certified rotten) with top critics and audience scores. Tellingly, the All Critics score is sitting at 73%. So basically the all critics score is being massively skewed up by a whole range of "take that sexists, the movie doesn't suck" reviews being splashed across publications and websites that don't normally review things.

Reading reviews, it appears it is a somewhat funny and forgettable movie. I'll catch it when it's released on demand, not fussed spending the cash on it.

I'll be interested to see if they pull the trigger on a sequel. Judging by its box office, it is not going to turn a profit once the enormous marketing budget is taken into account although Sony have kinda backed themselves into a corner on making another one

vvvrulz

Coach
IMDB eventually levelled off to the low 5's

Seems like exactly as expected, a watchable but pointless remake.

mackdadday

Juniors
Watched it today hesitantly and thought it was great from start to finish. Plenty of funny jokes all the way through and some nice cameos too. Thought all 5 of the main characters were great. Would give it a second watching.

axl rose

Bench
Watched it today hesitantly and thought it was great from start to finish. Plenty of funny jokes all the way through and some nice cameos too. Thought all 5 of the main characters were great. Would give it a second watching.

Same, thought It was good fun . I only have vague memories of the first one though so maybe that helps. Enjoyed the cameos, Bill Murray actually had more screen time then i thought.

Nuke

Staff member
I saw this in Dublin the day after it came out. I had a few hours to kill, so thought 'Why not?'.
I didn't mind it, I'll admit. I went in trying not to compare it to the original, and although I felt it was trying too hard to be funny AND trying too hard to be a big action film, it kinda fell in between and wasn't all that great at either.

From memory, the biggest reaction the crowd in the cinema had was when there was some line near the start of the movie that said something about keeping the Irish out. Seems, also, that Hemsworth is rather popular in Ireland, as the audience laughed at all the ditzy things he said and did.

Pugzley

It just goes to show that movie producers are a bunch of coked up stubborn assholes with little to no imagination.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Mike was very careful with that review. It's the ultimate take-down of why the movie sucked without going into gender politics.

Which let's face it Sony exploited to a disgusting degree.

I'd love a RLM thing focused on Sony pictures. They touch on it during the review for ghostbusters and the half in a the bag for Jack and Jill but there is plenty of material

gUt

Coach
Mike was very careful with that review. It's the ultimate take-down of why the movie sucked without going into gender politics.

Which let's face it Sony exploited to a disgusting degree.

I'd love a RLM thing focused on Sony pictures. They touch on it during the review for ghostbusters and the half in a the bag for Jack and Jill but there is plenty of material

They smash Sony whenever Adam Sandler shits out another movie

Timbo

Staff member
The annoying thing is, it could have so easily been a much better movie. They just made every bad choice you could.

Latest posts