What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Womens World Cup announced

Burns

First Grade
The Cook Islands have qualified! After winning today's qualifiers against Tonga, Samoa and Fiji

So who is going to take responsibility for this?

The VFL is starting a pro women's national league and we can't get a few teams together for the World Cup.

This sport is a joke.

paulmac

Juniors
Seriously if all 4 Pacific teams are Australian based what's the harm of just including them in the main draw?Travel cost isn't an issue.That would mean 9 teams rather than the pathetic 6 nations we have now.If we could get France in as well that would be a nice even 10 teams.

deluded pom?

Coach
So who is going to take responsibility for this?

The VFL is starting a pro women's national league and we can't get a few teams together for the World Cup.

This sport is a joke.
The sport isn't and never has been a joke. The Muppets running it is a different matter.

paulmac

Juniors
Anyone know of dates for the women's WC? I'm heading to Sydney for lebanese v Eng,wouldn't mind catching a game or two whilst i'm down there.

Force

Juniors
There was a Harmony Cup tournament just the week before this World Cup Qualifier. All P.Is Nations participated in that tournament but they were mainly Sydney based players. The Harmony Cup tournament was a similar structure to the WC tournament where they played multiple games in one day. The Cook Islands finished the highest placed P.Is team when they came runners up to a team from Melbourne. WC organisers billed the Harmony Cup as the precursor to the WC Qualifiers, implying the same teams will compete in both tournaments which was going to be the case given the lack of time all teams had to prepare. Only the Cook Islands bothered with the demands of the short notice, the rest pulled out.

adamkungl

Immortal
Just saw the schedule for this...

2 of the 3 rounds are on weekdays, with games kicking off at noon.

Yeah I'm gonna go to f**king Shark Park in my lunch break for 7 hours...

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
You guys are being way too harsh, they need to start somewhere, it's the first ever World Cup, let the f**king thing grow, the woman's game is the best shape its ever been in lol.

You guys are being way too harsh, they need to start somewhere, it's the first ever World Cup, let the f**king thing grow, the woman's game is the best shape its ever been in lol.
It's something like the fifth World Cup. And there's been more teams in it in the past, so it hasn't grown in that sense.

The organisers have treated it like an afterthought, have put f**k all thought, effort or money into it and when it's all been "organised" they've suddenly found far more interest in it ($500,000 from the govt, TV coverage etc) than they would have expected. It's a pretty clear example of selling the game short and doing things half arsed and then wondering what might have been.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
It's something like the fifth World Cup. And there's been more teams in it in the past, so it hasn't grown in that sense.

The organisers have treated it like an afterthought, have put f**k all thought, effort or money into it and when it's all been "organised" they've suddenly found far more interest in it ($500,000 from the govt, TV coverage etc) than they would have expected. It's a pretty clear example of selling the game short and doing things half arsed and then wondering what might have been.
My apologies mate, I had no idea the female World Cup has been held in the past :thinking:, yeah shows how well they have advertised it in the past. I think female sport in general is growing around the world , maybe the time is right for us to invest more time and money into it.

Extended Canadian women's squad named.

http://www.canadarugbyleague.com/canada-ravens-world-cup-squad-announced/

Jillaroos squad to go to PNG.

http://www.rlwc2017.com/news/jillaroos-name-six-debutants-png-orchids-match

Most women's players are unknown so squad lists are pretty meh, but look at where the players are from.

A WA player and a NT player in the Auatralian squad and players from four Canadian provinces in the national team. Women's RL is a chance for new regions to play the game almost at the ground floor and be more on par with the heartlands because the game is relatively new everywhere for women and girls. This is something the RFL needs to cotton on to. The women's game there could be huge outside the heartlands if done right and there wouldn't be a north-south divide.

roughyedspud

Coach
The RFL aren't even pushing to have the women's world cup on uk TV

At the very least you'd think they'd us the ppv platform they created for the Samoa v England game..I'd pay £15-20 for a "tournament pass"

Latest posts