What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

LineBall

Juniors
becasue night games rate better.. the more nights = more night games..

We would all love to go to 3pm sunday games, but no one is at home watching TV
I don't know about this. More games played during the day would still draw an audience on TV. South Vs Roosters on Sunday afternoon at the SFS would have to come close with TV ratings to what they would have gotten last night.

T-Boon

Coach
Part of the reason the AFL got a big crowd last night was because apparently that is the traditional season opener. Do we have a traditional season opener? If not why not?

What about Parramatta v Souths at ANZ stadium kicking off the season every year.

Emu01

Juniors
The test will be to see when the game is played next year, when the nrl take control of the schedule. Still shit effort sydney.

Hang on buddy it pissed down rain from about 2pm till early hours this morning in Sydney..
Would you take your family out in the rain to watch a game?

I did in round 1 and it wasn't much fun.

T-Boon

Coach
Your idea is based entirely on the name which will have no effect on crowds.

No its not, its mainly based on the benefit/advantage of routine. Similar to the Broncos fans knowing they play their home games on Friday night. They fan can plan for it. It could have an upwards effect on crowds if you advertise the game well. The biggest clash is it is late night shopping night so the ladies will be pissed off.

it's totally unfair on Newcastle to dump it on them.

True but you can compensate for that in other ways such as giving extra funding for marketing the night as an event.

insert.pause

First Grade
Hang on buddy it pissed down rain from about 2pm till early hours this morning in Sydney..
Would you take your family out in the rain to watch a game?

I did in round 1 and it wasn't much fun.
How many do you think the rain kept away? I doubt they would have come close to 20k on a clear night. There are issues with Sydney attendance, even allowing for weather or day, and it appears to be getting worse each year.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
How many do you think the rain kept away? I doubt they would have come close to 20k on a clear night. There are issues with Sydney attendance, even allowing for weather or day, and it appears to be getting worse each year.

We need to realise that Sydney is tough market.. that needs the goldy locks timeslots if we are ever going to draw a crowd...

Give thurs, fri to nz / melbourne and brisbane, give sydney saturday nights.. and share the rest..

But when you let Ch9 pick schedule you will get the well supported tv teams on thurs / fri

lockyno1

Post Whore
Not playing at ANZ period would be a start. It's just the worst stadium and it makes me want to vomit if a game is there.

Billythekid

First Grade
No its not, its mainly based on the benefit/advantage of routine. Similar to the Broncos fans knowing they play their home games on Friday night. They fan can plan for it. It could have an upwards effect on crowds if you advertise the game well. The biggest clash is it is late night shopping night so the ladies will be pissed off.

True but you can compensate for that in other ways such as giving extra funding for marketing the night as an event.

The regular Friday games have nothing to do with the broncos good crowds and there is a line of thought that in some ways it's actually harmful.

Even if you compensate the knights with extra marketing or whatever that doesn't help the knights fans who are then forced to have Thursday night games every week. For the fans who travel down from the upper hunter that basically locks them out of attending.

It also doesn't make sense because the knights are one of the best performing teams crowd wise. Despite being total shit for years and having possibly the worst season of any team in NRL history last season they just keep showing up. That's with all the constant off field controversy.

The knights don't need help drawing a crowd. If they sort out their off field issues and can make their team competitive (I don't mean top 4 I just mean not being the worst in the league) then they will have great crowds. They don't need a gimmick like what you suggest.

Not playing at ANZ period would be a start. It's just the worst stadium and it makes me want to vomit if a game is there.

Whilst it's numbers are bolstered by big matches as far as I know ANZ averages higher than any other Sydney venue (that could be wrong I'm not 100% there). The issue is hardly isolated to ANZ.

Hopefully the new stadiums at ANZ and parramatta help alleviate this problem but the issues run far deeper than that.

We need to realise that Sydney is tough market.. that needs the goldy locks timeslots if we are ever going to draw a crowd...

Give thurs, fri to nz / melbourne and brisbane, give sydney saturday nights.. and share the rest..

But when you let Ch9 pick schedule you will get the well supported tv teams on thurs / fri

The swans don't need that sort of special treatment to draw a crowd. Sydney is a competitive market but the solution isn't to give Sydney all the best timeslots.

You need to advertise much more. You need to incentivise people to come, cheaper tickets, cheaper food/drink, better gameday entertainment and work with public transport to make getting to and from the game easier.

Mainly though you have to make games feel like an event people want to attend. I live in Scone in the upper hunter and I know plenty of people who have travelled to Sydney to see a swans game. That's over a 4 hour drive. These same people would never make the effort to even go as far as Newcastle to watch NRL. This is despite the area being RL mad and the AFL being a nothing sport here. Yet they do it because swans games are seen as an event. The only RL games people travel for here are SOO for the same reason.

RL is terrible at creating event type games. Cricket can do it. AFL can do it. Shit even rugby and the god damn A league can do it. There is no reason why by far the biggest sport in town shouldn't be able to do it. Something like rooster v rabbits should be more of an event than a typical swans game or some shitty A league derby.

Also Since when is Saturday a better timeslot than Friday anyway? I agree that Thursday games aren't the best idea in Sydney but Friday night games are fine.

T-Boon

Coach
Even if you compensate the knights with extra marketing or whatever that doesn't help the knights fans who are then forced to have Thursday night games every week. For the fans who travel down from the upper hunter that basically locks them out of attending.

You should start a Muswellbrook and Scone Knights supporters club ("MSKSC") with a Facebook page.

The MSKSC has weight (what? 200 members) so can organise with the Knights Club to get a free bus or 3 leaving Scone at 5.30pm Thursday which can park straight out the front for Thursday KNIGHT Football. Leaves for home at 9.30. Back by 11.00.

adamkungl

Immortal
No one's pointed out that the lame Knight pun T-Boob is pushing works for any other night of the week and doesn't work any better on Thursday?

undertaker

Coach
2nd Friday 6pm game of the year in Sydney starting in 3 hours.

Anyone want to take a guess of what the crowd will be in Penrith?

Billythekid

First Grade
2nd Friday 6pm game of the year in Sydney starting in 3 hours.

Anyone want to take a guess of what the crowd will be in Penrith?

Sub 10K is almost a given. Depending on just how bad the weather is I'm thinking 7-8K though could be lower if things get ugly.

You should start a Muswellbrook and Scone Knights supporters club ("MSKSC") with a Facebook page.

The MSKSC has weight (what? 200 members) so can organise with the Knights Club to get a free bus or 3 leaving Scone at 5.30pm Thursday which can park straight out the front for Thursday KNIGHT Football. Leaves for home at 9.30. Back by 11.00.

I support the storm.

T-Boon

Coach
No one's pointed out that the lame Knight pun T-Boob is pushing works for any other night of the week and doesn't work any better on Thursday?

No its doesnt because Thursday night is the only night they could conceivably get to themselves and then actually market the idea (like Bundaberg Rum Super Saturday). Its just a f**king idea Kungle - its good to try to think of solutions rather than just whinge about how stuffed things are.

LeonardC

Juniors
Given that we are doing everything to appeal to TV you'd hope that we would be smashing the AFL in ratings but last night they beat us in that as well. Hopefully that was just due to it being the opening game of the year, we better smash them tonight.

Latest posts