What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Raiderdave

First Grade
Now you're really taking the piss here....

If you looked at this year's NRL draw, the Knights only have one Ch9 match in the first 20 rounds (on a Sunday arvo vs Bulldogs at Belmore). What makes you suddenly think Ch9 would give the Knights regular prime-time viewing?

Also, Newcastle is outside the Sydney metro tv ratings region, so not as lucrative to Ch9 as Parramatta/Bulldogs/Souths/St George, and Brisbane, that have the whole Brisbane metro to themselves. In NRL territory, Sydney and Brisbane metro regions are the most lucrative for advertisers

Even during the Andrew Johns era, the Knights weren't getting heaps of Ch9 games compared to Brisbane and the Sydney teams that were performing well. In the post-Johns era, 2012 was an anomaly, where Ch9 tried to cash in on the Wayne Bennett-factor and yes, we did get a lot of Ch9 matches that year, even though we missed the top 8. Even during the 2 Friday night game format (2007-15), most of the Knights Friday night games were the 9:30pm delayed match, only on the rare occasion did they get the premium 7:30pm game.

With the NRL regaining control of the scheduling from next year, I expect the Knights will get a little bit more Ch9 matches, but it would have to take years of consistently being a top 4 contender for the Knights to ever get the quota of FTA matches/season that they had during 1994-2007

i have carrots in my fridge smarter then T- Loon

PaulyTom

Juniors
Good work Penrith.

6pm timeslot can work, clubs just need to get smarter on what type of fans to target.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
If we are aiming for a 20k average (although I don't think the current group have the ambition of David Smith) then 6pm Friday will never work.

Not unless there is a drastic shift in NRL club, HQ and fan culture which puts attendances first (and even then, that would dictate Fri 6pm shouldn't exist). The marketing would need to ramp up massively. Not to mention we are relying on external factors such as the state of public transport in NSW and Govt funding for stadium infrastructure. There are so many things they are doing wrong.

Sidelining traditional schedules which have performed well is lunacy - Rabbits and Roosters were a Round 1 godsend a few years ago. Why on Earth give that up for a Thursday 8pm slot. Knights vs Manly used to be a must watch rivalry, barely raises any pulses these days and not just because of Newcastle's troubles.

We aren't in massive trouble just yet, but the trajectory is very concerning and what's more concerning is the apathy from HQ in rectifying it.

PaulyTom

Juniors
6pm time slot will never work

we're satisfied with 9500 odd ?

should be a Sunday arvo with 14 or 15000 minimum

I agree with you. Sunday Arvo would be gr8 but reality is if we want big tv dollars the NRL had to sellout the game into timeslots that were tv friendly not fan attending the game friendly.

I think the pendulum has swung to far one way, need to find a happy medium of day and evening games. Personally I'd scrap the Thursday night game if I had a choice and move it to a Saturday day game or a Sunday game.

Pommy

Coach
If they are going to stick with this 6pm slot to get the TV money would it be worth the NRL subsidising tickets and making them dirt cheap to try and get families in that time slot. Say $20 for a family or something. It could pay off in getting more people through the gates for other games if people enjoy t.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Panthers have probably best team in comp and will be favourites for nrl title by may

I'm not happy with 10k

They should average 17k this year

chahrour123

Juniors
I think 10.5k is good. You then have have the 10.5k from Thursday plus hopefully 30k at Suncorp that's 51k and than the Eels v Sharks for the Johnny Mannah cup should get 16-17k and Brookie tomorrow should attract 15k so all of a sudden the crowd average for this round looks good. Not the best but also let's consider the QLD derby also at Cbus which should get 16-17k as-well.

Panther91-03

Juniors
Panthers have probably best team in comp and will be favourites for nrl title by may

I'm not happy with 10k

Well it doesn't help when your take on a nsw cup side in a terrible time slot.We should build on from here provided that rain doesn't become the problem.

Diesel

Referee
These merkins at HQ really need to go, they are doing nothing to promote or grow the game. Get off the f**king gravy train

Raiderdave

First Grade
I think 10.5k is good. You then have have the 10.5k from Thursday plus hopefully 30k at Suncorp that's 51k and than the Eels v Sharks for the Johnny Mannah cup should get 16-17k and Brookie tomorrow should attract 15k so all of a sudden the crowd average for this round looks good. Not the best but also let's consider the QLD derby also at Cbus which should get 16-17k as-well.
its not good
its not disasterous either .. people were saying 6500
as a brand ,,, we need to do better

Billythekid

First Grade

I'm not happy with 10k

The weather has been shit and Friday 6pm is a terrible timeslot. They're also facing an out of town team. 10.5K is hardly amazing but frankly I'm pretty sure most of us were expecting sub 10K and potentially a lot less.

In recent years I'd say even in ideal conditions in a good timeslot the panthers wouldn't have drawn much more than that. It's one of the few crowds this year that hasn't disappointed.

If they are going to stick with this 6pm slot to get the TV money would it be worth the NRL subsidising tickets and making them dirt cheap to try and get families in that time slot. Say $20 for a family or something. It could pay off in getting more people through the gates for other games if people enjoy t.

Ticket prices in general need to be looked at. Deinfitely though shitty timeslots like Thursday and Friday 6pm need to be cheaper.