What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

possm

Coach
I take your point about the juniors being on minimum salary and the fringe first graders. That parts probably going to equal itself out, but we still have to add in 4, which is 480k.

Anyway my point has been more around why we aren't rushing out to sign more players until we know the cap amount. It'd be irresponsible to do so. Millward did say very early this season they were being cautious with the cap until they knew the figure.

Let's say hypothetically Hunt replaces Dugan plus Packers salary.

That leaves 2mil increase - 480k - 200k for Widdop and a few other extensions. We still only have about 1mil to play with. Which is why I wouldn't be rushing out until I know the exact figure.

Part of the planning may also be going with they know they will need to upgrade Mccinnes in a year along with Dufty, field and a few others, so leaving cap space for that.

And please don't say we will have room with Nighty going as he is our only eligible exempt player so doubt he takes anything off our cap or not much at all

Yes I agree with you about Nightingale. He would only take a wing spot which could be used to blood Dufty or Field or maybe Garrick or Herbert. But as far as cap goes he really cost very little. For the same reason De Belin's signature took a little longer mainly because he was entitled to the long service cap relief scheme - not sure of the name of this scheme - also and so his salary rise was probably more than the other forwards.

There are two schools of thought regarding recruiting now or later.
The Club could move now with a concrete offer for one of the good props available and thus win the signature in the absence of other offers.
The Club could wait and see the final cap limit and then compete with all of the offers from other Clubs.

I would go the first option mainly because we know how much is left in our cap and if necessary, we still have room to off-load some players still unsigned to in an effort to stay within the cap.

The Roosters, Storm, Dogs and Rabbits are usually plugged in to what is happening within the NRL and all 3 have come out and recruited players like Foran, Woods, Tedesco, Gagai, Kasiano etc. However the decision isn't mine and I don't have all of the facts to make that decision. Let's hope Millward makes the right decision because in 2018 we need for big boppers on the bench or 3 big boppers and a hooker rotation when McInnes is showing a little wear and tare. I think it would be wonderful to see:
Vaughan
New prop
Kerr
Lawrie
as the prop rotation with Ah Mau as backup. For this to happen we need to recruit a good new prop and blood both Kerr and Lawrie this year and prepare them well during the off season for 2018.

Yes I agree with you about Nightingale. He would only take a wing spot which could be used to blood Dufty or Field or maybe Garrick or Herbert. But as far as cap goes he really cost very little. For the same reason De Belin's signature took a little longer mainly because he was entitled to the long service cap relief scheme - not sure of the name of this scheme - also and so his salary rise was probably more than the other forwards.

There are two schools of thought regarding recruiting now or later.
The Club could move now with a concrete offer for one of the good props available and thus win the signature in the absence of other offers.
The Club could wait and see the final cap limit and then compete with all of the offers from other Clubs.

I would go the first option mainly because we know how much is left in our cap and if necessary, we still have room to off-load some players still unsigned to in an effort to stay within the cap.

The Roosters, Storm, Dogs and Rabbits are usually plugged in to what is happening within the NRL and all 3 have come out and recruited players like Foran, Woods, Tedesco, Gagai, Kasiano etc. However the decision isn't mine and I don't have all of the facts to make that decision. Let's hope Millward makes the right decision because in 2018 we need for big boppers on the bench or 3 big boppers and a hooker rotation when McInnes is showing a little wear and tare. I think it would be wonderful to see:
Vaughan
New prop
Kerr
Lawrie
as the prop rotation with Ah Mau as backup. For this to happen we need to recruit a good new prop and blood both Kerr and Lawrie this year and prepare them well during the off season for 2018.

Ha, like the Storm, Roosters or Dogs have ever worried about what the salary cap actually is.

Old Timer

Coach
Perfect! I was waiting for someone to point those other signings. Besides the Dogs and I guess Knights but really to a lesser extent do you notice it's essentially one player per club?

No one is recruiting 'big' beyond that due to uncertainty of the cap
Milan
You said no one was recruiting and Millward was correct for not rushing in
Well the list clearly shows some clubs are currently recruiting top end players and they're not sitting on their heels waiting nor running the risk of not getting their man
This is in direct contrast to what Millward is doing as it is apparent we need a prop of high standing and he said so himself yet nothing and the Nann negotiations drag on with no resolution
Just on Mann who else do we have of his quality that can cover everywhere in the backline and if we lose him will we be as strong next year?
So sitting on your heels like Millward is not the correct way forward.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Milan
You said no one was recruiting and Millward was correct for not rushing in
Well the list clearly shows some clubs are currently recruiting top end players and they're not sitting on their heels waiting nor running the risk of not getting their man
This is in direct contrast to what Millward is doing as it is apparent we need a prop of high standing and he said so himself yet nothing and the Nann negotiations drag on with no resolution
Just on Mann who else do we have of his quality that can cover everywhere in the backline and if we lose him will we be as strong next year?
So sitting on your heels like Millward is not the correct way forward.

Yes I did say that and your post was correct too, but the one thing to notice is outside of the Bulldogs (2), Tigers and knights no club has recruited more than one big name as such. Some are on 0 big names recruited. We didn't sit on our heels, we got our man early in the year. That was Hunt.

I understand most say Hunt started the $$ frenzy which I think he did. But don't forget the Knights recruited Ponga on a pretty chunky contract for an untried junior too projecting the cap to go up significant but they also need to pay overs.

I agree with Mann, I want him at the club as he adds great utility value, every club needs a player like that.

I gather old timer hasn't had a look at what props are off contract if you think any of them are "top line" then you seriously need to go back over the list again.

Mann is a utility a solid one at that and no more.

If he was in high demand he would have signed elsewhere by now and what do you know he hasn't so what does that tell you he isn't a high priority.

Oh meseem have you looked at the clubs menitoned Gogs, Storm and Roosters funny two have cheaped the gap got caught and the other well when uncle Nick is in charge those brown paper bags are well hidden.

If you haven't figured out by now the NRL is corrupt and it caters to those clubs and everyone else has to bend over and get in in the arse.

Until the NRL start policing the cap like they actually give a shit nothing is going to change.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I have said it before and I will say it again. Hunt will be the best halfback we have had since Smith, who I never saw play. Hunt is going to make a massive difference to our team. He could prove to be the best signing we have made in the last 40 years. With Hunt and Widdop we will have one of the top 3 pairs of halves in the comp next year, the other top 2 being Nth Qld and Penrith.

Yep, Hunt is up there with the best halfbacks for sure. Can't wait to see him in the red V. Criminal that he was dropped for Nikorima.

Just on standout performances, I thought Paasi was very strong last night too. Would love him to be our Packer replacement.

Latest posts