What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Melbourne Storm the fourth Queensland team?

Most of Melbourne Storm's top players are Queenslanders: Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith, Cameron Munster, and Will Chambers.

The remainder of the key players are either Kiwis (e.g. the Bromwich brothers, Tohu Harris, Nelson Asofa Solomona) or Fijians (Vunivalu/Koroibete/Waqa).

Isn't it time that Melbourne Storm decided that it is a priority to retain Victorian origin players (e.g. Mahe Fonua, Gareth Widdop) or else relocate to Queensland.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With only 3,000 grass roots players I would think it might be a bit challenging to put together an NRL squad of mainly Melbourne raised players! The failure to develop grass roots rugby league in Melbourne is the NRL, and now the NRL owned VicNRL, not the Melbourne Storms. Their job is to put out a competitive team and make more money than they spend.

Catalan dragons have a whole country to choose from and still rely on B grade imports to put out a competitive team, and even then they haven't managed that this year.

The storm are merely taking advantage of the fact that the best Rugby League producing area of talent in the world doesn't have enough top grade teams to give all that talent a chance at top tier first grade

adamkungl

Immortal
With only 3,000 grass roots players I would think it might be a bit challenging to put together an NRL squad of mainly Melbourne raised players! The failure to develop grass roots rugby league in Melbourne is the NRL, and now the NRL owned VicNRL, not the Melbourne Storms. Their job is to put out a competitive team and make more money than they spend.

Catalan dragons have a whole country to choose from and still rely on B grade imports to put out a team,

Maybe the people who think the NRL should take over all junior development should compare their fine work in Victoria to the supposed Sydney 'old boys club'. I know which I'd rather.

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBF if the NRL had the money these pokie clubs have to spend on Jnr RL they might be doing a better job!

El Diablo

Post Whore
TBF if the NRL had the money these pokie clubs have to spend on Jnr RL they might be doing a better job!
i've wondered why the Storm don't have pokies set up seeing AFL clubs make a mint off them in Victoriania and all of it goes to the clubs unlike the NRL who get whatever the Leagues clubs give them

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/af...n/news-story/8d87c5f8d3756ba2164af8c73481bed5

i wonder too if pokie tax rates are less or more in Victoria than other states

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
So since all the Storm did to earn this title is poach the shit out of every QLD junior side under the sun for all their best talent, I guess it's safe to assume every other club introduced into the NRL (whenever the f**k that is) will also be de-facto QLD clubs?

adamkungl

Immortal
Do the Broncos directly fund any junior district comps or do they just poach from an entire state?

T-Boon

Coach
So since all the Storm did to earn this title is poach the shit out of every QLD junior side under the sun for all their best talent, I guess it's safe to assume every other club introduced into the NRL (whenever the f**k that is) will also be de-facto QLD clubs?

If they also check these boxes:

1. founded by the biggest Fwit QLDer of all time;
2. their academy is based in QLD;
3. their home support base all support QLD in state of Origin and hate NSW;

King hit

Coach

The AFL rules in Victoria with everything daylight second so the Storm have to set up their base in QLD. Every team set up in an area that isn't NSW, QLD or NZ will do the same thing. NRL clubs that are in the league states of course won't be. The other replies to the post explain the rest.

moffla

Bench
Lol you make it sounds like it's easy. Basically all our players who have come from Queensland would have signed for Brisbane if offered a contract. But you, and the other two Queensland clubs, simply miss the talent.

Imagine if the broncos had a good scout or two...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I realise that the Storm need a player feeder base outside of Victoria due to player numbers, hence the links with Queensland but I can't cop a couple of things:

1. More not being done in Victoria to increase playing numbers (as the Raiders did during the 90's) - this is an NRL issue too, their should be a bigger push

2. Their netball team being based on the Sunshine Coast. It is a bad look and gives the impression that what the OP suggests is true

some11

Referee
Do the Broncos directly fund any junior district comps or do they just poach from an entire state?
All I could find:

Broncos are different to the Sydney clubs. When they say junior they mean he played from under 8 for Bondi United and now plays for the Roosters. It's all boundaries on a map.

Brisbane have always taken a more holistic approach and technically don't have any juniors.

Brisbane have the EPD that was revamped late 2005 with Bunn and Nolan.

Individual development starts at 14. They go to the club's academy at 15 and if they're still in the system at the end of grade 12 graduate to the senior academy.

From there a target of 3 to 4 will enter the NRL squad through the NYC team.

Broncos have scouts and identification in all rural areas. It finds them, keeps them at home and then feeds them in when they're ready.

McCullough was 13 at Dalby Devils
Gillett was 15 at Redcliffe
Dodds was 19 at Wynnum
Hunt was 13 at Dingo Primary
McGuire was 17 at Aspley

Spread all over the place through schools and clubs, then they have their feeder arrangements with ISC clubs in key areas all feeding them players and developing players.

Boyd is a pretty good example of how it works.

He played against Tugan in the Under 17 Grand Final in 2004- Tigers were interested and offered him $500 to go to Keebra. He repeated at Currumbin instead.

Cyrill noticed him in 2004 but didn't sign him. Then in 2005 was sure he might be the goods. He asked Rod Patison who he thought the last scholarship he had should go to.

Patison suggested Boyd. $1000 scholarship and boots then got a $20,000 contract for 2006.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Lol you make it sounds like it's easy. Basically all our players who have come from Queensland would have signed for Brisbane if offered a contract. But you, and the other two Queensland clubs, simply miss the talent.

Imagine if the broncos had a good scout or two...

Cyril Connell.

Ever heard of the f**ker?