What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Melbourne Storm the fourth Queensland team?

some11

Referee
Yeah I'm not as naive as IBM.

Plundering the Raiders is our strategy of late, Milford and TPJ should be running around in green tbh, but that's what happens when you chuck a tanty and hand over Souths Logan.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Lol you make it sounds like it's easy. Basically all our players who have come from Queensland would have signed for Brisbane if offered a contract. But you, and the other two Queensland clubs, simply miss the talent.

Imagine if the broncos had a good scout or two...
broncos did`nt want Cameron Smith... so he came to Melbourne. thank you broncos

The_Shield

Juniors
So since all the Storm did to earn this title is poach the shit out of every QLD junior side under the sun for all their best talent, I guess it's safe to assume every other club introduced into the NRL (whenever the f**k that is) will also be de-facto QLD clubs?
By poached you mean sign unwanted players and turn them into superstars

adamkungl

Immortal

Plundering the Raiders is our strategy of late, Milford and TPJ should be running around in green tbh, but that's what happens when you chuck a tanty and hand over Souths Logan.

I didn't mean it as a criticism, but IBM did. As usual, an own goal.
Technically the Roosters have more local juniors than the Broncos do lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think people need to evolve and accept that as long as players are staying in RL, preferably in the NRL then it doesn't matter who trained them or where they come from. Its not 1956 where you would expect every kid to stay in his suburb working and playing!

This is actually an argument for the NRL and its affiliates to fund and control Jnr RL so we don't fall into this BS about where a kid was born and played Jnr league mattering to where he goes into elite programs and eventual makes his NRL debut. Up to 16 they should be playing in local high quality well run cheap to play local comps, then they can be signed to whoever spots them and makes the kid the best offer in terms of his future opportunities.

thorson1987

Coach

Tbf to the Raiders, the NSWRL rightlfully said if you do not use a side in NSW Cup for your reggies they will not allow them to play in Harold Matts and SG Ball comps. Did the same with Melbourne aswell, hence there are VRL sides in the QLD 16's and 18's comps.

Saxon

Bench
So since all the Storm did to earn this title is poach the shit out of every QLD junior side under the sun for all their best talent, I guess it's safe to assume every other club introduced into the NRL (whenever the f**k that is) will also be de-facto QLD clubs?

Still butt hurt that the Broncos rejected Smith, the Clydesdales wouldn't give Billy a trial, and that when he was asked in late 2002 Bennett didn't even know who Cronk was? Cry me a river.

There is a club that has raped the QRL and continues to do so. It's hometown is about 2 and a half hours north of Melbourne via Qantas.

Saxon

Bench
Tell me again how Storm are just made up of stolen QLD players?

This week's team:

1. Billy Slater - unwanted by the Cowboys, couldn't get a trial with the Clydesdales (Junior Broncos at the time). Drove 20 hours for a trial with Brisbane Norths (Storm's feeder club at the time)
2. Suliasi Vunivalu - Fiji
3. Will Chambers - NT
4. Curtis Scott - NSW
5. Josh Addo-Carr - NSW
6. Cameron Munster - Rocky boy, played for the Capras. Unwanted by the Cowboys
7. Cooper Cronk - Rugby junior. Unwanted by QLD clubs
8. Jesse Bromwich - Kiwi, played Group 10 in NSW
9. Cameron Smith :copyright: - Unwanted byBrisbane
10. Jordan McLean - Young, NSW
11. Felise Kaufusi - signed from Cowboys
12. Joe Stimson - Temora, NSW
13. Dale Finucane - signed from Bulldogs

14. Nelson Asofa-Solomona - Kiwi, played first League for Melbourne
15. Jahrome Hughes - Kiwi, Roosters junior, signed from Cowboys
16. Kenny Bromwich - Kiwi, Vic schoolboys, played first for Melbourne
17. Slade Griffin - Kiwi junior

18. Tohu Harris - Kiwi, played first League for Melbourne
19. Brodie Croft - came through Brisbane Easts (Storm feeder)
20. Robbie Rochow - Knights junior, signed form Knights
21. Nate Myles - Manly reject

Hutty1986

Immortal
I think people need to evolve and accept that as long as players are staying in RL, preferably in the NRL then it doesn't matter who trained them or where they come from. Its not 1956 where you would expect every kid to stay in his suburb working and playing!

This is actually an argument for the NRL and its affiliates to fund and control Jnr RL so we don't fall into this BS about where a kid was born and played Jnr league mattering to where he goes into elite programs and eventual makes his NRL debut. Up to 16 they should be playing in local high quality well run cheap to play local comps, then they can be signed to whoever spots them and makes the kid the best offer in terms of his future opportunities.
Shut-up-meg.jpg

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Most of Melbourne Storm's top players are Queenslanders: Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith, Cameron Munster, and Will Chambers.

The remainder of the key players are either Kiwis (e.g. the Bromwich brothers, Tohu Harris, Nelson Asofa Solomona) or Fijians (Vunivalu/Koroibete/Waqa).

Isn't it time that Melbourne Storm decided that it is a priority to retain Victorian origin players (e.g. Mahe Fonua, Gareth Widdop) or else relocate to Queensland.

A lot of people has jokingly considered the Storm as another Queensland team for years based on what you mentioned above. The Origin players they've produced over the years and also the young talent that's coming through at Melbourne, most of them are Queenslanders.

But they will always be in Melbourne and continue to bring young talent from Queensland, NSW Country and New Zealand, but my question is whether they will still continue to look at juniors in Melbourne. Is it true that the Under 20s now plays home games at Sunshine Coast?

I know there's not a great deal of talent in Melbourne and understandably, the numbers are nowhere near as big as Sunshine Coast where their feeder team is. I just hope they don't completely ignore that area.

Add Richard Kinear to that list of Melbourne juniors, I think he's playing lower grades for Canterbury.

POPEYE

Coach
Most of Melbourne Storm's top players are Queenslanders: Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith, Cameron Munster, and Will Chambers.

The remainder of the key players are either Kiwis (e.g. the Bromwich brothers, Tohu Harris, Nelson Asofa Solomona) or Fijians (Vunivalu/Koroibete/Waqa).

Isn't it time that Melbourne Storm decided that it is a priority to retain Victorian origin players (e.g. Mahe Fonua, Gareth Widdop) or else relocate to Queensland.
Melbourne is the 4th Qld team . . . wow, you think . . . fmd

that shit can't possibly be bait, I made it stale 17 years ago

Lambretta

First Grade

Translation
"Wah wah wah - the World's unfair wah wah waaaaah
In some areas we have to compete with other teams waaaaaaaah
No fair, we want everything and you can't have anything waaaaaaahhhh"

f**k you - the Broncos are directly responsible for holding back Rugby League expansion into SE QLD
The Storm do a great job recruiting talent
Live with it